WBB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BedtimeForBonzo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moseshightower

I don't know if I would count on a wider spread at Oglethorpe.  The Pirates have been getting better all season long and if they figured out the press at the end of this game what would happen if they figured it out from the beginning?  This isn't meant to knock the Petrels, I think they are having a great season and should only help the SCAC's chances of getting multiple teams into the NCAAs whether that be them, Trinity or Depauw.  With Depauw being in a different region, hopefully all three can get in. 

Ron Boerger

Three is probably a stretch unless a lot of teams from the more highly-regarded conferences lose a couple of games each.  The only time I can remember the SCAC getting as many as two bids were when Trinity beat DePauw in the tourney and got the "A," so DPU got the "C".  Trinity was 24-3 a couple of years ago, lost in the conference tourney to DPU, and sat at home despite winning the NCAAs the year before. 

DePauw can get in without winning the SCAC, but I doubt if either Trinity or Oglethorpe can - and both would seem to be impossible.  Not saying I like it given that Trinity has done well in the playoffs the last two times they were in, but it seems to represent the way the selection comittee thinks. 

moseshightower

I do remember Trinity getting shut out of the tournament with a 24-3 record and from what I understand, it essentially came down to other teams having a greater strength of schedule within their region.  It had nothing to do with Trinity or the SCAC not being highly regarded.  The D3 process doesn't work like D1 otherwise the WIAC would probably get in more than one team each season.  I just think that if those three can limit their losses to just each other then they would all finish with strong regional records and have a shot to get in the tourney especially with so many more Pool C bids.  The way it's going, I think the SCAC does have a great shot at getting two teams into the postseason.  It's looking like the road will go through McMurry in the South which is a tough place to play.

Ralph Turner

I am thinking that the first round may be the "3-bracket" as much as I do not want that.

Trinity as the SCAC Pool A hosting an ASC Pool C bid (e.g., HPU or HSU) and the winner going to Abilene or Trinity hosting both games and playing the Pool C on Wednesday and the Pool A on Saturday.

I would much rather play that first game and not have the bye!

Ron Boerger

DePauw looks seriously tough this season, Ralph.  I'll be very surprised if they don't win the conference.   

Too bad nobody posts in support of what has historically been the SCAC's best team. 

Baxter

I don't think three teams from one conference is impossible or even improbable.  Because of the expanded bracket and with the strong south region records Trinity and Oglethorpe both have so far, I think it could happen,  especially if DePauw doesn't win conference for some reason.  It will depend on how much the teams in the SCAC beat each other up this year.

Ralph Turner

Ron, there are 21 Pool C bids this year.  I think that both the ASC and the SCAC might get Pool C bids.

Dirty_South

Looking forward to the Depauw/Oglethorpe matchup this afternoon....another great test for the young petrels and a chance to see the Tigers in action. I'l l be making the trip to Atlanta for this one...should be a good one. Not sure if the petrels are ready for what is coming at them today....

Ralph Turner

Dirty South, I am looking forward to a report from you about the game.  This is the best test yet for the birds... a little British slang there. ;D

Ron Boerger

Courtesy DPU athletics:

January 22, 2006, Atlanta, Ga. - The DePauw women's basketball team, ranked ninth in the latest Coaches' Poll and 10th by D3hoops.com, improved to 17-1 overall and 7-0 in the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference with a 88-60 victory at Oglethorpe. The win was the Tigers' 16th straight. The Stormy Petrels dropped to 14-3 overall and 5-2 in the conference. Oglethorpe led much of the first half, but DePauw went to the break with a 39-36 advantage. The Tigers opened the second half with a 19-7 run to extend the lead to 15 at 58-43. The Tigers then gradually built the margin to as many as 29.

Trinity squeezes past Hendrix 82-76.  A three pointer by Kate Dawson with 0:22 left sealed the victory.

Rhodes wins at Southwestern, 71-62. 

Rose-Hulman defeats Millsaps, 67-59.

Trinity and Southwestern make their Indiana road trip next weekend.   

Dirty_South

Tigers too much for the young petrels....they have played two good 1st halves against TU and DU but have yet to put together a complete game against the elite SCAC teams. And really I wonder if the lack of depth and the up and down style gets the best of their legs in the second half of games. DePauw was solid the whole game and excecuted on both sides of the court. OU is still probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the SCAC and will need a good tourney showing to get a Pool C bid...

OUfan22

dirty south pretty much said it all...the petrels came out and it seemed as if depauw was totally unprepared for the initial intenisty and the petrels quickly led by 9...the major difference was depauw's consistency...i can't wait until they can put a whole game together, but they are young and a complete 40 minute game will come eventually

Herb

INTERESTING STAT:

It doesn't compare to Kobe Bryant's line, but Trinity's Megan Scholbe managed to shoot 16 times (making 5, for 13 points) and grabbed 11 rebounds in only 19 minutes of play. 

Ron Boerger

... and for the second straight weekend, Jennifer Farrar recorded ten offensive rebounds in a single game (this week against Hendrix, last week against Oglethorpe). 

DPU_radio_guy

Hi Folks...I've been awful busy recently..haven't had much time to sit down and share some thoughts...

DPU's women's team has really impressed me.  They put out a great effort yesterday @ Oglethorpe, and the expereience of that team showed.

It seemed like press kind of shell-shocked them early.  Also, that was far and away the loudest gym they've played in this year.  After a few mistakes and a few missed lay-ups..it seemed like they calmed down and were able to excute their offense they way they're capable of. 

DePauw weathered the early storm from Oglethorpe, and finally calmed down about 10 minutes in.  After a pretty good run to end the first half, DPU went up by 3 into the locker room.

I felt like Coach Huffman made some great adjusments at halftime, and DPU just ran away in the second half.  I think some of the youngsters on that Oglethorpe team started to get a little frustrated and made some mistakes.  I'm a little nervous to see this OU team in a couple of years, they're going to be REALLY good.  I'm even a little nervous to see them in the conference tournament next month.

This DePauw team is really good.  They continue to surprise me with how well they play everytime out.  It'll be a big one Sunday in the Neal Fieldhouse when TU comes to town.  That'll be a pretty good measuring stick I think.  We'll see exactly where this DPU team is.