FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Horse Rider

19-7 Guilford at half. Turnovers and penalties are killing the Monarchs

Wild Horse Rider

Well I couldn't stay and watch the 4th since the little one was getting too hot to stand it. All in all a poorly executed game on both sides. Both defenses played much better than I expected but I believe part of that was due to both offenses playing bad. 22 penalties to go along with 9 turnovers for both teams. Methodist threw 5 picks between 2 QBs. A lot of Guilford's penalties seemed to be on special teams and cost the Quakers the hidden yards that never show up in the box score. The one that broke my heart was a hold on Methodist that brought back about an 80 yard TD right before half. This was a game that someone had to win and at the end of the day and the Quakers made enough plays. I wish them luck on the rest of their season. Hopefully everyone comes out of the game healthy and as my coach used to say after any game.... You have 24 hours to celebrate a win or mourn a loss. After that it is time to go back to work. On to Catholic.

Wild Horse Rider

All I can say is WOW. Averett loses a heartbreaker to RMC. Up 18 going into the 4th. RMC RB is the man.

Hawks88

We just had a good old fashioned trip behind the woodshed.  That's about it.

Wild Horse Rider

So the results are in from week two.  All I can say is I don't know who is good and who is bad (with the exception of Greensboro being bad).  To recap the first two weeks:
Averett beats Hampden-Sydney in week one (HSU beats CNU in week 2) and then loses a heart breaker to RMC in week two(who lost a close one to Johns Hopkins who lost a close one.  Johns Hopkins loses in week 2 to Susquehanna)
Huntingdon beats Guilford in week one (Guilford wins a close game against Methodist in week 2) and then gets beat handily to Birmingham-Southern in week 2 (Birmingham lost to LaGrange in week 1)
Marryville lost to a ranked Berry and a ranked Centre
LaGrange beat Birmingham-Southern in week one (Birmingham beat Huntingdon in week 1) and then lost to Berry in week 2
NCWC beat Emory & Henry in week 1 in overtime and then lost to Shenandoah in week 2 (5 INT clearly did not help)
Methodist lost to Guilford (Guilford lost to Huntingdon in week 1)
Greensboro lost both games
Brevard's only game was called due to weather in the 3rd quarter

So with these results in the book all I can surmise is this........ 
I still believe that Averett is the best team in the conference.  They fell apart in the 4th quarter against RMC and that is concerning I believe. 
Maryville played and lost to 2 very good teamsand I believe in their D and rushing O but I don't think they can throw the ball
Huntingdon looked great against the Quakers (who will likely be a middle of the road ODAC team) and then loses badly to Birmingham
LaGrange can beat Birmingham but can't continue the trend against Berry
NCWC can beat one ODAC foe and then throws 5 picks to lose to another ODAC opponent

Averett is good.  I am unsure about every other team with the  only exception of Greensboro who I believe is bad.

Wild Horse Rider

My predictions were a bit off to say it nicely in week 2.  I was 3 and 4 on the week with one no decision since the Brevard game was canceled due to weather.  Also the USAC vs ODAC non conference record is in jeopardy of not going in the USAC favor yet again.  At this time the ODAC is leading 4 wins to 3 losses with only one game remaining (I thought there were 10 before the season since I completely forgot that Catholic is not in the ODAC anymore and the MU vs SU game was canceled).  All of the hopes ride on Averett against Ferrum this weekend and we can tie the season baring a playoff match up.  There are multiple teams with byes on the schedule.  This week:

Huntingdon takes a 6 hour flight north to play Oshkosh and loses but I am hoping for a good showing
Brevard loses at home against CNU and I believe the Captains will be angry due to last weekends results.
Maryville plays a third 2018 playoff team this weekend when Hanover comes to town.  I am hopeful for the Scots but again I believe the lack of a downfield passing offense will be the downfall
Methodist cleans up some of the mistakes that cost them badly in their first game and beats Catholic.  Howard may rush for 200 yards.  Hopefully whichever QB plays the turnovers are eliminated.

Averett struggled to stop RMC's Fredrick running the ball last week and will have similar issues against Ferrum's Mann.  We cannot tell anything about Ferrum's defense since they played Greensboro last week.  Again I point to Averett's special teams as potentially the key to the game.  In 2 weeks Tapscott returned 2 kickoffs for TDs.  It would be hard for me to believe that anyone kicks to him for the remainder of the year but I am sure that is easier said than done. 

A note on Averett's Tapscott.  He was a HS senior in VA in 2012 and then went to Wyoming to play.  He was rated a 3 star prospect according to ESPN and had offers from Boston College and Ohio to go along with the one from Wyoming.  He was red-shirted in 2013 and per the AU website played in 4 games in 2014 followed by 8 games in 2015.  His first season at Averett was last year as a RS-JR where he had a whopping 84 AP yards and 1 tackle in 5 games.  Through 2 games this year he has 294 AP yards and 2 TDs.  He is literally a man (24 or 25 yrs old) playing with younger men.  I saw online that he made the decision to transfer after the completion of the 2015 season at Wyoming.  I'm not sure if he transferred to another school prior to Averett but with no real football from Fall of 2015 until the fall of 2018 I am not surprised by last seasons lack of production. 

jknezek

As for Tapscott, he must not have been enrolled in a college the whole time.

This comes straight from the NCAA eligibility rules: Division II 10-semester/15-quarter clock: If you play at a Division II or III school, you have the first 10 semesters or 15 quarters in which you are enrolled as a full-time student to complete your four seasons of competition. You use a semester or quarter any time you attend class as a fulltime student or are enrolled part-time and compete for the school. You do not use a term if you only attend part-time with no competition or are not enrolled for a term.

So if he started in 2013 and was enrolled in 2013, 2014 and part of 2015 and played he has used up at least 5 or 6 semesters. He would have used 2 more last season, so that's 7 or 8 down. He's obviously playing now, so he must not have used 2 or 3 semesters in 2016 or 2017. Now he could have been going somewhere part time and not playing football, but if he was in school full time, or in part time and playing, he'd be out of semesters by now.

So it's likely he had a pretty good break before enrolling at Averett. Kudos to him for continuing his education. And I hope he graduates and has a great career in something. My wife is in her late 30s and is finishing her long delayed degree over the next year. It's not easy to go back after a couple years and I have a lot of respect for him for getting back after it.

Wild Horse Rider

Congrats to Methodist Safety Nate Jones for DPOTW and DL Andrew Bradshaw for DROTW.  Jones had 12 total tackles, 2 picks, and a half a sack.  Bradshaw had 7 total tackles, 3 TFL, and half a sack. 

Wild Horse Rider

Well it appears as if the Methodist and Shenandoah game is already rescheduled and on the books for 11/23.  That is from d3football site on both teams schedule page as well as Shenandoah's athletic website.  With numerous players from Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina this will likely be the coldest game some of the players have ever experienced.  That will probably be to early for any frozen precipitation but not unheard of.  I remember way back in 2002 on November 16th when there was a game played there between the Monarchs and the Hornets.  It switched between rain, freezing rain, and occasional flurries for most of the game.  The field was grass then and the surface was in bad shape.  Both teams were able to run the ball a little since neither defense could get any footing.  I believe there is field turf now at Shentel Stadium so the field will not be an issue.  I also remember the last away game at game Methodist played at Shenandoah was a 7 PM kickoff and the trip back to Fayetteville was a brutal 6 hour trip and we arrived back about 4 AM.  Thankfully cooler heads have prevailed and this game will kick at noon.  But hopefully for both or one team the game cannot be played due to an invitation to the playoffs.

Scots13

CNU tried to schedule a game with MC at 7 pm once. The suggestion did not go over well. 8+ hour bus rides tend to relegate kickoffs to between 12-2.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Wild Horse Rider

Game day, game day, best day of the week, great day to be alive, great day to be a Monarch!

Wild Horse Rider

Methodist is going to come away with a win but it didn't look pretty.

Wild Horse Rider

Methodist starting QB doesn’t play today. The backup is a RS FR transfer from a D2 plays. Clearly he has a good arm. I hope the SR QB is ok. I do see promise in the new guy.
I know Tapscott didn’t have a KR TD but he did have a 76 yarder. Again I don’t think I would give him a chance to do that.

Wild Horse Rider

One more week of non-conference games. Averett, Huntingdon, Maryville, and Methodist are on byes. Averett finishes 2-1, Huntingdon 1-2, Maryville 0-3 (but played the best schedule by far), and Methodist finished 1-1.

Wild Horse Rider

If Greensboro doesn't win at Gallaudet this weekend then they are likely staring down the barrel of 0-10.  I don't believe they will be able to get it done on the road.
Brevard beat Allen badly last season.  After last weeks win against CNU I feel like the Tornados should make it 2-0 on the season.
LaGrange wins at Apprentice.
NCWC loses against Stetson in Florida.  8+ hour road game against a Pioneer League team.  Hopefully there is some monetary compensation for that game.

Last week 4 and 1 record with the Brevard win being the only miss.  Conference play starts in October.