MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toph

Well, with Mark Petruziello being "ohhnly a soph-o-more," as Keith Jackson might say I think it might be pretty tough for Rudy to get a lot of snaps in the next two years.  I don't know if you got a chance to see any JCU football games this year, but Petruziello looks like he has the makings of a pretty good QB.  He sees the field well, has nice touch on the ball, and can scramble extremely well.  He even kept the Mount game inside of 70!   ::)

Right now, basketball has a leg up for Kirbus.  As you and I have both speculated it looks like he's going to have to be a major part of the offense next year.  You just have to wonder how many of those open looks from the outside he had this year are going to be taken away without Mimes down low scaring the hell out of defenses.

David Collinge

Here's an update from Ohio (or rather, an update of Ohio from North Dakota).  Schedules are not complete as regards tournament pairings unless otherwise noted:

OAC:
Baldwin-Wallace:  men; women
Capital:  men; women
Heidelberg (not posted)
John Carroll (not posted)
Marietta:  men; women
Mount Union:  men; women
Muskingum (not posted)
Ohio Northern (not posted)
Otterbein (not posted)
Wilmington:  men; women

NCAC:
Allegheny:  men (complete); women
Denison (not posted)
Earlham (not posted)
Hiram (not posted)
Kenyon:  men (complete); women
Oberlin (not posted)
Ohio Wesleyan (not posted)
Wabash (not posted)
Wittenberg:  men (complete); women
Wooster:  men (not posted); women (complete)

HCAC:
Anderson: (I couldn't get to their %#*@^ website) :-[
Bluffton:  men; women
Defiance:  men (not posted); women
Franklin:  men; women
Hanover:  men; women
Manchester (not posted)
Mt. St. Joseph:  men; women
Rose-Hulman:  men (complete); women (complete)
Transylvania:  men (complete); women (complete)

Other Ohio schools:
Case Western Reserve:  men; women
Lake Erie (not posted)

Yes, I know these are not all Ohio schools, but they are the three conferences with at least 3 Ohio schools.

Basketball23

Its been pretty dead in here over the summer, but with hoops just around the corner i thought i could stir things up with a bold prediction. For the 2008 OAC Championship....Capital loses by a game to....the Heidelberg College Student Princes :o... but Cap takes the tourney.... Thoughts?
Good Players practice until they get it right, Great Players practice until they can't get it wrong.

OLDPIO

Basketball23

Although I have been absent from the D-3 posting board for few years or so, I too have heard that Captial and Da Berg are slatted as favorites.  Not since Matt Adams, Adam Smith and Foster were playing in Tiffin (early-mid 90's) were the Student Princesses picked to having a winning record let alone contend.  Based on last year, they were fairly even production wise with the likes of Shriver, Lemmon and Schmidt.  One of those guys is going to have to step up and carry the team. Prediction OAC champ will have 3-4 conference loses.  Should be much parity amongst the 2-6 teams. ONU and JCU are always dangerous and should again contend.  Other than Nate Stahl from Cap Brandon Todd of Muskingum and Stu Anglum of MTU the OAC appears to be down a little talent wise.  What do you guys think? Andy word on incoming Freshman?

Basketball23

This may come off a bit rude although i dont meant it to be but, I agree with your prediction on number of losses thats usually the case. However,  having Stu Anglum's name in the same sentence as Brandon Todd and Nate Stahl in a conversation about talent is an absolute joke. He's a good player on a bad team. Walsh from JCU is near that level. Then theres about 10-15 guys a notch or 2 behind. I'm not even sure i'd put Stu there. The guards in the leauge this year are pretty tough which is a change from the last 4 years when post players dominated but that will happen when you lose Brandon Mimes, Tyler Ousley, and Tori Davis all of which were legit all-american canidates the last two years. Davis and Ousley both were last year i believe. As for newcomers look for Tyler Felt from Musky and Brown from BW (First Name escapes me). They both are D-2 Transfers and should be able to come in and play well right away. Felt transfered in last year but had some foot problems and didnt play much. Havent heard much about new Freshman however.
Good Players practice until they get it right, Great Players practice until they can't get it wrong.

OLDPIO

With reagrds to Stu, everyone has there opinion.  I am not partial either way.  I kind of feel the same about Brandon Todd.  I know that Geno is in the process of turning that program into an elite preformer and it sounds like some peviously scholarship transfers may be a geat way to accelerate that time line.  Muskingum's problem is location.  That is a hard one to over come.  JCU BW CAP Ott heck even Wilmington and Mount are better located for those student athlets concerned with a social aspect of college.  I know Ada isn't a merto mecca but ONU gets its players based on tradition of wimming and the fact that other than the Berg not many recruit the northwest part of the state.  That leaves Musk MAR and Heid with the scraps.  Just an opinion. 

David Collinge

Quote from: OLDPIO on September 13, 2007, 05:23:51 PMI kind of feel the same about Brandon Todd.  I know that Geno is in the process of turning that program into an elite preformer [...]

Geno Ford has returned to Kent State, where he will be an assistant coach this season.  The head coach at Muskingum is now Gene Ford, Geno's father.

http://www.muskingum.edu/home/athletics/basketball_m/index.html

OLDPIO

David, thanks for the update and clarification about the Ford's.  I am not sure sure my thoughts about Geno's departure.  Disappointed because I felt confident he would draw some premium recruits and further stregthen the OAC.  Happy maybe because we would have a chance at some recruits if he wasn't around.  Congrats to him on the opportunity.  I wonder how long before the OU bobcats have him as a coach.

Preseason 1st Team All OAC Picks
Nate Stahl, Capital 
Brandon Todd, Muskingum 
Ross Banaszak, Otterbein 
Stu Anglum, Mount Union
Shawn Shriver, Heidelberg 
Brendan Schuler, Baldwin-Wallace 

Others to watch
Fred Harrison, Wilmington 
Ryan Wood, Capital
Steve Kyser, Capital 
Isaiah Creasap, Marietta
Andrew Lemmon, Heidelberg
Brian Schmidt, Heidelberg 
Kyle Gehle, Ohio Northern
Zach Broermann, Wilmington

OLDPIO

I have been thinking about the All Decade team and I think the OAC representative should be Jeff Gibbs.  I know some are going to say Davis from BW (either one) but it would be hard to get more than one from the OAC.  I saw a Woo fan nominated Nelson and I think he is a consideration but hard to top the following: Andy Panko, Devean George, Jeff Gibbs, Rick Melzer, Adam Dauksas, Kory Koon, Merrill Brunson.  Thoughts?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: OLDPIO on September 13, 2007, 09:31:35 PM
I have been thinking about the All Decade team and I think the OAC representative should be Jeff Gibbs.  I know some are going to say Davis from BW (either one) but it would be hard to get more than one from the OAC.  I saw a Woo fan nominated Nelson and I think he is a consideration but hard to top the following: Andy Panko, Devean George, Jeff Gibbs, Rick Melzer, Adam Dauksas, Kory Koon, Merrill Brunson.  Thoughts?

I'm delighted that you've named TWO IWU Titans (and, unlike most, you got Dauksas spelled right, but, like most, you muffed on Korey Coon!); I'd add a third Titan for consideration: Keelan Amelianovich was 2nd team AA as a soph, 1st team as both a junior and senior.

One other name that comes immediately to mind: has Ben Strong emerged too late for consideration?  Three others that merit consideration (and all three names are slipping from mind at the moment, but many will know who I'm speaking of): the William Patterson player who broke my heart (as a Titan fan) in 2001, then played for the Pistons, and the two 'scoring machines' from Lincoln.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 13, 2007, 11:23:26 PM
Quote from: OLDPIO on September 13, 2007, 09:31:35 PM

I'm delighted that you've named TWO IWU Titans (and, unlike most, you got Dauksas spelled right, but, like most, you muffed on Korey Coon!); I'd add a third Titan for consideration: Keelan Amelianovich was 2nd team AA as a soph, 1st team as both a junior and senior.

One other name that comes immediately to mind: has Ben Strong emerged too late for consideration?  Three others that merit consideration (and all three names are slipping from mind at the moment, but many will know who I'm speaking of): the William Patterson player who broke my heart (as a Titan fan) in 2001, then played for the Pistons, and the two 'scoring machines' from Lincoln.

Horace Jenkins was the William Paterson player. Jarett Kearse and Kyle Myrick were the Lincoln players.

C'mon, Chuck ... just within Illinois and Wisconsin you're leaving out Derek Reich, Sherm Carstensen, Jason Wiertel, and Jason Kalsow. And that's just the big men.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

I don't think I'm revealing anything unusual if I say that Jeff Gibbs is a lock.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Greg, you had to remind me of Horace Jenkins' name - now the nightmares can start all over again!  (Actually, I became a huge fan of his once he ALMOST caught on with the Pistons - I'm surprised he hasn't caught on elsewhere, but the Pistons were just too loaded at guard.)

As for Lincoln, I was actually thinking of Myrick and Sami Wylie (who broke his single-game scoring record, though under tainted circumstances).  And yeah, I left out plenty of people - Kalsow got omitted because when I saw him list Melzer, my brain read Kalsow (guess it is only capable of one WIAC superstar at a time :().  I have no excuse at all for leaving off Reich, though I wasn't attempting a full list.

OLDPIO

When I started thinking of names for the all decade team, I wanted to make sure that I didn't overload players from one particular conference or team, becuase I new the attacks would begin.  With that being said I picked Melzer over Kaslow based only on personal choice.  I was struggling to come up with a player from either Calvin of Hope to also be represented.  Any thoughts?  I totally for got Jenkins and feel pretty strongly he should be on the team.  Will the All Decade team be 5 first teamers with a second and 3rd team>  Also will the team be picked on position or BEST palyers?

OLDPIO

I think I may have an answer for the calvin/hope representative, Joel Holstege.  However I cant remember his playing years and if or if not he would fall within the dcade time requirements.