MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiltedbryan

Capital gains a Pool C bid and will host Bethany on Thursday, with the winner to play at Hope, who has a first round bye.

OAC tournament champion Heidelberg will face NCAC tournament champion Ohio Wesleyan at Centre, who plays Franklin in the first round.

Good luck to the OAC representatives!

privacy

Who is the favor with Heidelberg and Ohio Wes

David Collinge

Per the Capital web site, tickets will be available at the door for Thursday's game vs. Bethany (7:30).  $6 for adults, $3 children, seniors, students.

kiltedbryan

Quote from: privacy on March 03, 2008, 02:32:52 PM
Who is the favor with Heidelberg and Ohio Wes

Whoever has the basketball last, and maybe not until the end of the first or second overtime.  Seriously.

These are two pretty similar teams in style, size and ability- it really should be a fantastic matchup. The key to the game will probably come from the paint: if Lemmon and Schmidt outplay Rudegair and Jean then advantage Heidelberg, or vice versa.

David Collinge

Who is the favor[ite] with Heidelberg and Ohio Wes[leyan]
Ohio Wesleyan has never lost a game in the NCAA tournament.  That should count for something.  ;)

sac

Quote from: David Collinge on March 03, 2008, 02:48:04 PM
Who is the favor[ite] with Heidelberg and Ohio Wes[leyan]
Ohio Wesleyan has never lost a game in the NCAA tournament.  That should count for something.  ;)

I think they have a nice trophy signifying that accomplishment. ;D

JK

Nice reward to Captal for a great season.  A home game likely followed by a trip to Hope.  Seriously?!?

I know they gacked away the OAC tourney title, but don't they deserve a teeny bit more respect than they got from the committee?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: JK on March 04, 2008, 07:21:43 AM
Nice reward to Captal for a great season.  A home game likely followed by a trip to Hope.  Seriously?!?

I know they gacked away the OAC tourney title, but don't they deserve a teeny bit more respect than they got from the committee?

That's life. Capital, like the rest of the OAC, is part of what's considered to be a very tough region. Thus, there's never a year in which OAC representatives have an easy road ... so why pine over something that you're never going to get?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

privacy

Maybe if Capital would have not gave away the championship game, they would have been given a little more respect. At least they do have a home game.

JK

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 04, 2008, 08:01:48 AM
Quote from: JK on March 04, 2008, 07:21:43 AM

That's life. Capital, like the rest of the OAC, is part of what's considered to be a very tough region. Thus, there's never a year in which OAC representatives have an easy road ... so why pine over something that you're never going to get?

Ahh... I guess you're right.  As a Capital alum, I am just disappointed that such a great season may end so soon.  Of course, anything can happen.  ;)

privacy

As a Berg Alum I would like to see them go far. I think it is possible on any given day anybody can win. The only concern I have is that this is foreign territory to them. But anything is possible..

Dynex

Quote from: privacy on March 04, 2008, 09:06:53 AM
Maybe if Capital would have not gave away the championship game, they would have been given a little more respect. At least they do have a home game.

Im not so sure Capital gave away the champsionship game. Heidelberg put together an impressive run and made some tough shots down the stretch. Capital did have the game in control throughout the first half and the first part of the second half. However, when Capital went to their bench on that first rotation and never got the momentum back. I just think Capital and Heidelberg both deserve a little more credit with the way the game ended.

I think that Heidelberg will outrun OWU and then take a shot at Centre who I think the student princes match up well with. They may not have been there before, but you could say that they havent been in the top half of the league before and they did just fine down the stretch in the OAC.

Capital did get rewarded with a home game and then got slapped in the face by playing at #1 team in the country. Interesting move but as someone who has followed Capital Basketball over the years, at least they made the tournament this year at 23-5. Cant say the same for perhaps the second best team in the country back in 2003 when Otterbein rolled through the NCAA by 20pts+ after beating Capital 3 times but a combined total of like 5-6 points.

I still think there is a decent chance Cap and Heid play each other next week...

? - Lets say the OAC pulls off the upsets, where would the sections be held for the hypothetical CAP HEID game? Im not getting ahead of myself by any means just wondering how thats determined. Im not real familiar with how the D3 tourny works.

sac

Quote from: Dynex on March 04, 2008, 02:50:28 PM
Quote from: privacy on March 04, 2008, 09:06:53 AM

Im not so sure Capital gave away the champsionship game. Heidelberg put together an impressive run and made some tough shots down the stretch. Capital did have the game in control throughout the first half and the first part of the second half. However, when Capital went to their bench on that first rotation and never got the momentum back. I just think Capital and Heidelberg both deserve a little more credit with the way the game ended.

I think that Heidelberg will outrun OWU and then take a shot at Centre who I think the student princes match up well with. They may not have been there before, but you could say that they havent been in the top half of the league before and they did just fine down the stretch in the OAC.

Capital did get rewarded with a home game and then got slapped in the face by playing at #1 team in the country. Interesting move but as someone who has followed Capital Basketball over the years, at least they made the tournament this year at 23-5. Cant say the same for perhaps the second best team in the country back in 2003 when Otterbein rolled through the NCAA by 20pts+ after beating Capital 3 times but a combined total of like 5-6 points.

I still think there is a decent chance Cap and Heid play each other next week...

? - Lets say the OAC pulls off the upsets, where would the sections be held for the hypothetical CAP HEID game? Im not getting ahead of myself by any means just wondering how thats determined. Im not real familiar with how the D3 tourny works.

If Whitewater were still in the tournament, probably there.

privacy

Heidelberg was on the top half a little bit last year and died down. The experience of last year is what help them this year. I hope you are right and they will be just fine. But it's nothing like experience and being there before.

JK

Privacy,

Interesting tidbits here, for you, Heidleberg alum.

Princes' head BB coach Duane Sheldon is my High School Football Coach's son in law.  I grew up outside of Alliance, went to Beloit West Branch H.S., where my Dad was the A.D.  Our head football coach there for years, and the guy who gave my dad his first coaching job was Jim Laut, who came from to my HS in the late 60's from BW a few years ahead of my Dad.  Jim's Daughter is Laura, who met Duane in College at BW and is now his wife.

To further this small world story, the guy Duane replaced as AD, Jerry McDonald, was in my uncle's wedding.  My mom's brother was a teacher and a coach at Mansfield Madison with McDonald (and, coincidentally, Jim Shambre, Sr., whose son was an All-OAC LB at the Berg in my playing days at Capital in the early-mid 90's).

Small world, huh?  :)