BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Lancers22 on February 27, 2014, 02:30:03 PM
What are the chances  for games @ GCS Ballpark in Sauget, IL  be played this weekend? 4 teams - North Park, Wartburg, Webster and Grinnell College?

I just checked weather.com for Sauget.  Friday, high of 40 with rain and snow.  Saturday, overcast and high of 41.  Sunday, high of 26 with wintry mix.  IF the field is playable, Saturday might possibly accommodate a game or two, but the rest of the weekend, uh-uh.

Who in their right mind would schedule baseball games in Illinois on March 1?? ::)

Lancers22

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 27, 2014, 04:42:06 PM
I just checked weather.com for Sauget.  Friday, high of 40 with rain and snow.  Saturday, overcast and high of 41.  Sunday, high of 26 with wintry mix.  IF the field is playable, Saturday might possibly accommodate a game or two, but the rest of the weekend, uh-uh.

Who in their right mind would schedule baseball games in Illinois on March 1?? ::)

Thanks Ypsi! Yeah, I think Saturday will be the only day that it's possible. I heard it is a turf grass field so maybe... just maybe :)
"Adversity is the diamond dust Heaven polishes its jewels with."

thunder38

Wheaton was planning on having its games against WashU and Central there on Friday but those games have been cancelled due to weather. Just for a point of reference.
You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains.

Gregory Sager

NPU's games against Grinnell and Webster at Sauget yesterday were canceled. The three-game stint that the Vikings were planning to play down there this weekend has been reduced to one game, as they are currently facing Wartburg.

No word yet on whether or not Luke Johnson is going to fit some extra games into the schedule.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Apparently the first notice was wrong. The Vikings played two games on Saturday, splitting with Wartburg. The Vikings blew an 8-1 lead (argh!) and lost to the Knights in the opener, 9-8. In the nightcap, T.D. Conway gave up two runs (one earned) over 7 1/3 before Charlie Moran mopped up in a 9-3 win.

Now NPU gets to enjoy the cold with the rest of us peons for another week before departing to sunny Fort Myers to take on Ohio Northern next Saturday in game one of the snowbird trip.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 02, 2014, 12:33:53 AM
Apparently the first notice was wrong. The Vikings played two games on Saturday, splitting with Wartburg. The Vikings blew an 8-1 lead (argh!) and lost to the Knights in the opener, 9-8. In the nightcap, T.D. Conway gave up two runs (one earned) over 7 1/3 before Charlie Moran mopped up in a 9-3 win.

Now NPU gets to enjoy the cold with the rest of us peons for another week before departing to sunny Fort Myers to take on Ohio Northern next Saturday in game one of the snowbird trip.

T. D. Conway is the perfect moniker for your QB, but in the 'spring', as a pitcher, he needs to go to some nickname that results in K. O. Conway! ;D  (I suppose W. P. Conway would also do the trick (if strikeouts are not his strong suit)!)

MadRedFan

Friend of the family plays at Grinnell, and the way it was explained to me, Grinnell and Webster wanted to cancel, North Park didn't, and apparently Wartburg didn't either, so NPU and Wartburg kept the date and drove down there to play.  The other games weren't played.

BigPoppa

My Updated CCIW Prediction:

1.   Illinois Wesleyan 0-0 (pretty high on the Titans this year)
2.   Augustana 6-2 (good, but not sold on them yet)
3.   North Park 2-3 (very tough schedule out of the gate)
4.   Wheaton 1-2 (both 1-run losses)
5.   Carthage 0-0 (open this weekend in St. Louis)
6.   North Central 0-0 (open this weekend in Southern Ill)
7.   Elmhurst 0-0 (open this weekend in Ohio)
8.   Millikin 0-2 (pair of losses to Greenville)

I am not willing to shuffle my pre-season rankings just yet... should have a better feel after this weekend.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Gregory Sager

Mr. Ypsi

I see IWU is scheduled to open the season with a home DH against Blackburn this Saturday.  Surely the field is not playable, is it?

We've still got at least a foot of snow on the ground here in Ypsi, and the weather has mostly seemed pretty comparable in B'town.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 05, 2014, 08:22:40 PM
I see IWU is scheduled to open the season with a home DH against Blackburn this Saturday.  Surely the field is not playable, is it?

We've still got at least a foot of snow on the ground here in Ypsi, and the weather has mostly seemed pretty comparable in B'town.

Only a foot!? Close to three feet on the ground in the Twin Cities yet. Gonna be another late spring for UMAC and MIAC teams.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 06, 2014, 08:18:11 AM

Only a foot!? Close to three feet on the ground in the Twin Cities yet. Gonna be another late spring for UMAC and MIAC teams.

They're really gonna miss the Metrodome up there.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 06, 2014, 05:32:02 PM

They're really gonna miss the Metrodome up there.

I suspect there are gonna be a ton of games having to be made up in northern cities.  Those grounds crews are virtually miracle workers, but I can't see how they can possibly have usable grass before mid-April or even May in some places (even with the money for giant blowers and space heaters).  With repeated 'polar vortices (vortexes?)', the ground is just frozen too deep this year.

And, of course, for d3 games it is likely to be even worse - the season may start VERY late this year, then be very compressed with conference make-up games (and probably many non-con games just not being made up at all).

Mr. Ypsi

I measured today.  Enough wind and drifting that it is hard to tell for sure, but appears to be 15 inches.

I would never get into a 'pissing match' with Minnesota about winter - I live in what a now-deceased former Detroit Free Press columnist called the 'banana belt' of Michigan! ;)

But next five days supposed to be above 32 - might get the snow down to single digits!

From needing to drive the cars before shoveling, our driveway has built up about 3 inches of ice.  Between the thaw and rock salt (and a maul), we hope to have it cleared within a week.

BigPoppa

St Scholastica (Duluth, MN) played its home opener in the first round of the UMAC conference tourney last year... somewhere around the first week of May. My own high school season last year consisted of squeezing 19 games into a 22 day window. Brutal on our pitching staffs, but it was a ton of fun as kids got a true feel of what it would be like to play pro-ball or major college baseball.