MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GU1999

What a great honor for Shea.  I know that he will make it rain 3's in Kosovo.  Simply put he has some serious GRIT.  He's a dude!

As for where he is going, I I find it truly remarkable that only 25 years after Bosnian/Serbian  war was shredding that part of the world, Shea will be jumping a plane and arriving on Saturday to play for the top Kosovo team.  Juxtapose this with the fact that in the mid-90's the entire Bosnian youth national hoops team defected and came to play here.  Those players lived with host families and settled in Northern Illinois, primarily in the Western Suburbs and Rockford.  My club team would play them on Sunday afternoons at Rockford College.  There were numerous Sundays where we had a moment of silence before the games where we mourned together the loss of a players family member.  Some of those boys went on to big time college hoops careers.  Ovcina winning the natty with Syracuse.     http://www.orangehoops.org/eovcina.htm

Anyway, good luck Shea!

GU1999

Oh yeah.  Shea did have 5 T's in the 17-18 season.  :)

y_jack_lok

Quote from: GU1999 on August 23, 2019, 05:01:40 PM

Under the new sportsmanship guidelines a player gets suspended one game on the 7th technical foul. Seems like,five would be a better threshold.

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on August 23, 2019, 07:58:39 PM
Quote from: GU1999 on August 23, 2019, 05:01:40 PM

Under the new sportsmanship guidelines a player gets suspended one game on the 7th technical foul. Seems like,five would be a better threshold.

Agreed a T every 3 games from one individual  is ridiculous.....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

Principia becomes the 5th SLIAC school to post their schedule... others posted are Webster, Greenville, Iowa Wesleyan, and Fontbonne

Still waiting on Westminster, Blackburn, Eureka, Spalding, and MacMurray

Prin's schedule is just fair ... Wheaton Tourney and Elmhurst are highlights, but Berea, Lincoln Christian, and  Knox are yawnrs... at least they are winnable games for that depleted Prin roster...... Prin is also currently short a game at 24, as games vs D2 Maryville and McKendree are listed as exhibitions...

GU1999

Hope - I would like to piggy back on a few of your comments about a few schedules that that have been posted. 

Knowing that the league is in the business of passing new rules...  Even rules that could potentially further weaken its already dismal post season presence... I propose that the league constitute a rule that could in the long term strengthen the SLIAC and hopefully increase its chances of post season play and post season scheduling.  I would start by limiting the number of patsy games a team can schedule to one a year or preferably none.  If the quality of non-con games is not increased the SLIAC will never punch its way out of the 40s in overall league SOS (SOS being my vernacular).  I fully understand that with scheduling harder games a program runs the risk of having a very poor record.  I also understand that there may be budgetary issues.  But you must start somewhere.   

I would propose that scheduling weakness is a greater liability for this league than other issues that we vigorously addressed in the off season.   

Teams like GU and WU have been scheduling harder non-cons.  They are also #1 and #2 in Hopes 5 year review. 

This type of idea is certainly not new and I know it has some limitations, but if the league were serious about success, I suspect that this would have been a better priority during the off season. 

I recall that the SEC mandated Football programs to schedule Power 5 non-con games in 2014.  Admittedly all that did was send all the SEC schools rushing to the phone call Lawrence, Kansas to schedule a Power 5 patsy, but I do not want to digress to much. 

WUPHF

I know you only speak to one other poster on the thread, but I can dispatch of this quickly....

The SLIAC is not going to do anything in regards to regular season scheduling for fear that it may cost a school more.

Otherwise, the conference championship and the NCAA tournament as far as the SLIAC is concerned is not going to change.  Greenville will adjust.

hopefan

Great post GU.... I've been preaching better scheduling for years... it has improved overall in that we are seeing less of Stl. Pharma, Stl Christian, Concordia Stl., Lincoln Christian, Robert Morris this and that, Emmaus etc.....   BUT... we still see them, along with lots of games against Knox and Concordia Ill, and Millikin..the weakest teams in each of the 3 neighboring Illinois Conferences

Remember, not only do we have to schedule better teams, we have to beat them too...

I'll do a work up of my last 5 years of schedule rating to see who consistently has played the best teams....
Then, given a little time, I'll match that against their w-l versus those teams....

WUPHF

There is a big difference between asking members of the league to bolster their strength of schedule and mandating it.

GU1999

This league has clearly demonstrated the ability to create rules lately.   

y_jack_lok

Interesting to consider establishing that kind of scheduling requirement. I assume it would point to conferences like the CCIW amd WIAC. But, you must consider the flipside. How many games would schools in those conferences want to play against SLIAC teams? Also, what is the definition of a "patsy game"? I'm reacting to this from GU1999:: "I would start by limiting the number of patsy games a team can schedule..."

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on August 27, 2019, 04:44:32 PM
Interesting to consider establishing that kind of scheduling requirement. I assume it would point to conferences like the CCIW amd WIAC. But, you must consider the flipside. How many games would schools in those conferences want to play against SLIAC teams? Also, what is the definition of a "patsy game"? I'm reacting to this from GU1999:: "I would start by limiting the number of patsy games a team can schedule..."
I think a first step could be... only NCAA teams... not many NCAA teams can be considered patsies to SLIAC teams... there are numerous NCAA teams that can be scheduled... CCIW, MWC, NACC, WIAC, ARC, HCAC, SCAC, SAA... that is approximately 70 potential opponents .also UAA teams Chicago, Wash U.. add in the occasional trip to Texas, Florida, California for a weekend doubleheader or tourney... it's a rule that could easily be adhered to  (I think).....  I also have no problem playing local NCAA D2 teams...

y_jack_lok

^^^ I'm just guessing here, but I suspect SLIAC schools already schedule games against teams from many of those conferences.

Sticking to NCAA only opponents makes sense.

WUPHF

I would be on board with NCAA-only opponents with exceptions for non-NCAA programs within a 100 or so mile radius. 

For example, I think Pharmacy is a good opponent when Fontbonne needs a weekday game on the cheap.

Columbia College is also a potential weekday game on the cheap and is unquestionably a good opponent.

Robert Morris or Hannibal LaGrange or Campbellsville...

The SLIAC schools need the flexibility in scheduling.