MBB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 22, 2005, 12:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm a lama

Carl,
It's a good thing for Lynchburg then that I don't play basketball! http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/wink.gif" border=0>

gordo

You got me.  I was hoping someone would talk here.

BedtimeForBonzo

There's generally not a whole lot of discussion on the SCAC board in the offseason.  Not much  during the season, either, but it is better then.  

The women's board is even worse; the year Trinity won the championship I think there were all of three of us posting over there.

WarriorBasketball

Hendrix is returning with seniors JJ Jaramillo and Anthony Walker.  Big man Peter Curby, a junior who has been sidelined with an injury since mid freshman year, will be back along with Matt Secrease and Drew George.  Sophomores Michael Bennett, William Knapp, and Clay Lindberg will be joined by three recruits from Texas, two recruits from Arkansas and one recruit from Arizona.

WarriorBasketball

Slow board this summer.  Guess it always is.  Coach Priest-Hendrix-just announced an added exhibition game November 8th against division 1 Louisiana Monroe University.

Rose Basketball

I am anxious to see how this year's edition of Rose-Hulman Basketball will look.

With the loss of two starters (Jason Ludwig and Phillip Griffith) and two key bench players (Evan Ballinger and Mike Cusic), the Engineers will undoubtably rely heavily on guard Munchie Muskeyvalley (6-0, Sr.) to carry the scoring load. Muskeyvalley averaged 12.3 PPG and 4.5 APG for an Engineer team that finished a disapointing 12-14 overall, including a 6-8 mark in the SCAC last season.

Also returning are starter Brian Bibb (6-6, Sr.) and part-time starter's Brennan Dunnville (6-7, Sr.) and Jason Bednarko (6-2, Jr.). Those, along with Ron George (6-3, Soph.) appear to be the starting five on paper coming into 2005-2006. However, that lineup could get a boost should returning starter Kareem Lee (6-3, Sr.) decide to come out for the team this season, as rumors were wild after the final game of 04-05', a 66-61 loss against Centre in the SCAC Tournament, that Lee would not return for 05'-06'.

With no significant incoming recruits to speak of at this point, the Engineers will also need solid contributions from the likes of David Yarachefski (6-6, Jr.), Everett Gilmore (6-1, Soph.), and Devin Cook (6-8, Jr.) off the bench. The latter if his knee can hold up.

The Engineers tip-off the 2004-2005 campaign Sat, Nov. 19th in Chicago, Illinois against Denison University at the U. of Chicago Tip-Off Tournament.

I would love to hear some other preview-type posts about the other SCAC teams!

carlweathers

Interesting post on Rose-Hulman.  They lost some really good players.  Griffith was tough in the post and Ludwig, with the exception of his mono season his sophomore year, was nice.  Cusic was a big contributor over the years and I always have liked Ballinger.  His ability to make shots made him dangerous. 

Crazy to think Bibb and Dunnville are seniors already.  I think both are talented.

The big question is can Munchie will this team to win?  Or maybe it is that Munchie should stop trying to will the team to win and not try so hard to influence the game.  Can he pick the right times to assert himself on the game? 

RHIT has outstanding coaching and they are almost always in the mix.  Last year was the exception.  The conference tournament format has not been good to them.  Maybe this team can change that.

Rose Basketball

Quote from: carlweathers on August 22, 2005, 12:18:04 AM
Interesting post on Rose-Hulman.  They lost some really good players.  Griffith was tough in the post and Ludwig, with the exception of his mono season his sophomore year, was nice.  Cusic was a big contributor over the years and I always have liked Ballinger.  His ability to make shots made him dangerous.

It will definitely be interesting to see how the Engineers rebound from those losses. That is alot of scoring and minutes to make up. If Dunnville can become the inside post presence that we saw from Griffith, the post won't miss a beat. That remains to be seen.

Ludwing, IMO, will be the hardest player to replace. He was a slasher who was always able to find a way to get the ball in the hoop. A very reliable player who ate up minutes and could be counted on when the game was on the line. Hopefully, Jason Bednarko can step up this season and fill the scoring void from the perimeter that was left void by the former Effingham St. Anthony (Illinois)  star's departure.

QuoteThe big question is can Munchie will this team to win?  Or maybe it is that Munchie should stop trying to will the team to win and not try so hard to influence the game.  Can he pick the right times to assert himself on the game?

Muskeyvalley is a very talented player. He has the ability to take over a game and can score in bunches. However, as you mentioned, he often gets into a situation where he forces some things and it leads to turnovers. If he can become a part of a more team oriented offense and the Engineers can play together as one unit, they will win alot of games. Though they lost alot, I still feel they have a team that can compete in the SCAC. 

Rose Basketball

Quote from: gordo on May 25, 2005, 02:08:17 PM
Does anybody know how the teams are doing with recruiting?  And how are the teams shaping up for next season?

Excellent question.

Would love to hear about what the SCAC schools have coming, in terms of new recruits.

carlweathers

Quote from: rosebasketball on August 22, 2005, 02:51:19 AM

Would love to hear about what the SCAC schools have coming, in terms of new recruits.

Trinity has added a very good transfer from the UAA.  Another experienced player will be a major asset on a team that lost four great players. 

warriorfan

Hendrix recently hired a new assistant to replace Jason Rhoades.  Thad McCracken joins the Warriors.  The former player from Hanover most recent job was as assistant at Transylvania University in Kentucky.  Anyone have any info on Coach McCracken?

Rose Basketball

Rose Tidbit:

Rose-Hulman's December 30th contest against Tri-State University has been moved to Canseco Fieldhouse.

carlweathers

Quote from: warriorfan on September 03, 2005, 02:32:09 PM
Hendrix recently hired a new assistant to replace Jason Rhoades.  Thad McCracken joins the Warriors.  The former player from Hanover most recent job was as assistant at Transylvania University in Kentucky.  Anyone have any info on Coach McCracken?

I have some info.  There is no way that is a real name. 

madison

Carl,

What can you tell us about Thad McCracken?

carlweathers

Sorry.  I guess my previous post should have read "I have some info, there is no way that is a real name."