MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Sand

Same as Above,

Interesting...what's the story on Wilson (NC) and Martin (Elmhurst) not returning?

Same as Above

Martin graduated, and Wilson...I have no clue.

Gregory Sager

Shane Price and Maxwell Artis were great players, Dan, but the star for Augie that I remember doing a lot of damage to North Park in those days was Bill Rapier. I think that he was in the class of '81, though.

Dan Sand

Greg,

You're right. Rapier, a great athlete and one of the best defensive players I've ever seen, was class of '81. It's amazing to think that when Augie and North Park played during the 1979-80 season there were FIVE NBA draft picks on the rosters (Harper, Greer, Thomas and French from NP and George Wenzel from Augie--and Wenzel played very little!). I think with the more intense scouting, today along with AAU ball and the internet, players like Rapier, Price and Artis, who weren't starters in high school (Rapier didn't even play high school basketball) don't slip through the cracks to small schools
as much any more. I'm guessing that the same is true with some of those North Park players. I know Michael Harper grew a lot early in college and Keith French was a transfer, I believe. Nowadays, lower D1 and D2 coaches would probably be all over those guys.

advoice

For those who saw the Augie teams of the past play....how good of a player was Steve Yount? He claims to be a great defensive player but was told by Coach Borcherding to only shoot if he had a layup and then only shoot the layup if no one else was open.

Dennis Prikkel

Competition in D3 actually began in the Fall of 1973 with cross-country, though the post-season basketball tournament didn't start until a year later.

NPC won the league wrestling title in 1972-73 and sent five CCIW champions to the NCAA College Division meeting.

Augustana went to the NAIA national hoops tournament in 1974, losing in the quarterfinals.  In 1975 they were in the inaugural D3 tournament, finishing 3rd.  In 1976 Augie won the Midwest Regional, and went straight to the D3 final four, because their was NO west coast regional that near.

TK

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

There were at least two PSAC schools that I know of that were D3 at one time, Kutztown State and East Stroudsburg University, East Stroudsburge State College at the time though.

"The Roop"

Pat,

I realize that winning isn't against the D3 philosophy but the WIAC is hardly comprised of 1500-2000 student schools; like much of the division is. I'm not trying to start an enrollment issue again but competition against smaller, (or similarly sized) regional schools is part of the D3 philosophy.

Scholarships or not, the WIAC would be a quality D2 conference right now. Any effect on their success would be very limited if they moved up a division. Barring upsets and seeding anomalies they are likely to send another team to the Final Four team again this year. It's not like they are an average conference in a questionable region that sneaks into Salem unnoticed from time to time.

Pat Coleman

Actually, no, that is NOT part of the Division III philosophy. Fans of small schools like to think it is, but there is no such clause in the Division III philosophy statement:

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_III/d3_philosophy_stmt" target=_top>http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_III/d3_philosophy_stmt

The WIAC and NJAC and New York University and Rochester Institute of Technology and Emory belong in D-III just as much as the small, dare I say elitist, liberal arts colleges go.

Dan Sand

Advoice,

Yount was probably exaggerating slightly in regards to both offense and defense. He was a very good defensive player, gritty and hard-nosed. The kinda guy that gets a lot of floor burns. Offense was certainly not his strong suit. He scored 130 points in four years. I'm glad you mentioned Jim Borcherding, a really great coach who, unfortunately, never got a national championship. His teams reached the final four 4 times in nine years (1 NAIA and 3 D3's) and the final eight, if I'm not mistaken, 3 more times in a total span of 11 years.

dansand

Holy crap! Different is right. It took me 20 minutes to figure out where to type my message. But then again, I'm not very bright. I didn't GO to college. I just like college sports.
One minor correction, King Dennis: Artis was 14-for-14 vs. North Park during the 1981-82 season. One of the greatest shooting performances I've ever seen for Augie (along with Kirk Anderson's 12-of-19 3's in '93 tournament game at Platteville). I think he may have had one dunk and one or two more layups in those 14 shots and the rest were bombs.

[attachment deleted by admin]

dansand

Oh well, my picture of Max Artis didn't turn out so good. I'll have to keep experimenting. :)

Pat Coleman

It looks alright when you click on the link. The thumbnail isn't that pretty, though.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

dansand

Thanks Pat. Here's one of Bill Rapier and Modzel Greer, two of the players that Greg and King Dennis and I have been discussing, battling for a rebound. Again, thanks for letting us reminisce.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mr. Ypsi

Pat,

I will have to protest the changeover if Q has dropped from HOF to All-Region! :(

Glitches are understandable, but some glitches just cannot be allowed! ;D