FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2115 Summit

Quote from: faunch on August 28, 2014, 12:48:07 PM
The other night I was reflecting on the 2013 SJU football season.  As much as many of us that wear red colored glasses were satisfied with the Johnnies apparent improvement last season there are still many concerns going into the 2014 campaign.  A 7-3 record in 2013 was a vast improvement over the previous two seasons but look a little closer...the Jays could have easily been a 1-9 team last year.  The St. Olaf game was the only one that SJU dominated in any way....the other wins all could have and probably should have gone the other way.  Augsburg statistically dominated the Johnnies...the game was marred by 14 turnovers...6 of them by Augsburg...one of which was a fumble at the goal line.  Hamline had SJU on the ropes in the closing minutes of the game and the following week lost to MAC 7-0.

Nov 16, 2013     Collegeville, Minn.      Bethel University 28, Saint John's Univ. 7     
Nov 09, 2013     Collegeville, Minn.      Saint John's Univ. 20, Hamline University 14     
Nov 02, 2013     St. Peter, Minn.      Gustavus Adolphus 23, Saint John's Univ. 20     
Oct 19, 2013     Northfield, Minn.      Saint John's Univ. 23, Carleton College 13 
Oct 12, 2013     Collegeville, Minn.      Saint John's Univ. 30, Augsburg College 28     
Oct 05, 2013     Northfield, Minn.      Saint John's Univ. 31, St. Olaf College 0     
Sep 28, 2013     Collegeville, Minn.      Concordia-Moorhead 24, Saint John's Univ. 14 
Sep 21, 2013     St. Paul, Minn.              Saint John's Univ. 20, Univ. of St. Thomas 18     
Sep 14, 2013     Collegeville, Minn.      Saint John's Univ. 17, UW-Eau Claire 14     
Sep 06, 2013     River Falls, Wis.      Saint John's Univ. 17, UW-River Falls 14     

Another point to consider is scoring...take a look at SJU's total points and averages for the last 3 seasons.  Maybe Jimmy will be able to get those numbers back up to where they were a couple years ago.  It's pretty obvious from the time of possession numbers that SJU played a more ball control type of game last season.  It sure would be nice to keep the opponents scoring average down around 17 or less this season.  It would be really great if the Johnnies could hold teams to 10 points a game like they did in 2003...not counting on it though.

TEAM STATISTICS    SJU    OPP
SCORING                    199    176
Points Per Game    19.9    17.6
TIME OF POSSESSION/Game    30:59    29:01

SCORING                    336    263
Points Per Game    33.6    26.3
TIME OF POSSESSION/Game    27:42    32:12

SCORING                    298    258
Points Per Game    29.8    25.8
TIME OF POSSESSION/Game    28:30    31:30

SCORING.......................         534          149
Points Per Game.............         38.1         10.6
TIME OF POSSESSION/GAME.......        29:39        30:21

Its a good thing I don't believe in the 'LUCK Struck US'..... I'd hate to always think everything a team I was on, or all that I have accomplished was somehow never earned, only given because someone or team was unable to finish,did not want it, gave it away, or refused to accept!

Anyway, whats most interesting about 2003...... The John's oponents on average had the ball over half the game, and still were barely able to score twice a game.... all the while putting up almost 4 times the points with less time. What a bunch of unlucky teams! ;D ;)  Oh.....What Could have been...... :)

Score by Quarters     1  2  3  4   Score
-----------------    -- -- -- --   -----
Saint John's Univ...  0  7  0  8  - 15       Record: (8-0,7-0)
Univ. of St. Thomas.  0  6  6  0  - 12       Record: (3-6,3-4)

2115 Summit

For those who care.... With my navigating skills on the new UST Football webpage, Found here> http://tommiesports.com/sports/fball/index - I was able to find a new secondary page to view for football updates. It has some good information along with some pictures of the recent scrimmage during camp. https://ust5thquarterclub.shutterfly.com/

Enjoy! :)

OldAuggie

The other night I was reflecting on the 2013 SJU football season.  As much as many of us that wear red colored glasses were satisfied with the Johnnies apparent improvement last season there are still many concerns going into the 2014 campaign.  A 7-3 record in 2013 was a vast improvement over the previous two seasons but look a little closer...the Jays could have easily been a 1-9 team last year.  The St. Olaf game was the only one that SJU dominated in any way....the other wins all could have and probably should have gone the other way.  Augsburg statistically dominated the Johnnies...the game was marred by 14 turnovers...6 of them by Augsburg...one of which was a fumble at the goal line.  Hamline had SJU on the ropes in the closing minutes of the game and the following week lost to MAC 7-0.

Nov 16, 2013     Collegeville, Minn.      Bethel University 28, Saint John's Univ. 7     
Nov 09, 2013     Collegeville, Minn.      Saint John's Univ. 20, Hamline University 14     
Nov 02, 2013     St. Peter, Minn.      Gustavus Adolphus 23, Saint John's Univ. 20     
Oct 19, 2013     Northfield, Minn.      Saint John's Univ. 23, Carleton College 13 
Oct 12, 2013     Collegeville, Minn.      Saint John's Univ. 30, Augsburg College 28     
Oct 05, 2013     Northfield, Minn.      Saint John's Univ. 31, St. Olaf College 0     
Sep 28, 2013     Collegeville, Minn.      Concordia-Moorhead 24, Saint John's Univ. 14 
Sep 21, 2013     St. Paul, Minn.              Saint John's Univ. 20, Univ. of St. Thomas 18     
Sep 14, 2013     Collegeville, Minn.      Saint John's Univ. 17, UW-Eau Claire 14     
Sep 06, 2013     River Falls, Wis.      Saint John's Univ. 17, UW-River Falls 14     

Another point to consider is scoring...take a look at SJU's total points and averages for the last 3 seasons.  Maybe Jimmy will be able to get those numbers back up to where they were a couple years ago.  It's pretty obvious from the time of possession numbers that SJU played a more ball control type of game last season.  It sure would be nice to keep the opponents scoring average down around 17 or less this season.  It would be really great if the Johnnies could hold teams to 10 points a game like they did in 2003...not counting on it though.

TEAM STATISTICS    SJU    OPP
SCORING                    199    176
Points Per Game    19.9    17.6
TIME OF POSSESSION/Game    30:59    29:01

SCORING                    336    263
Points Per Game    33.6    26.3
TIME OF POSSESSION/Game    27:42    32:12

SCORING                    298    258
Points Per Game    29.8    25.8
TIME OF POSSESSION/Game    28:30    31:30

SCORING.......................         534          149
Points Per Game.............         38.1         10.6
TIME OF POSSESSION/GAME.......        29:39        30:21
Faunch you sound like Lou Holtz!
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

hazzben

The other night I was reflecting on the 2013 SJU football season.  As much as many of us that wear red colored glasses were satisfied with the Johnnies apparent improvement last season there are still many concerns going into the 2014 campaign.  A 7-3 record in 2013 was a vast improvement over the previous two seasons but look a little closer...the Jays could have easily been a 1-9 team last year. 

Sure, it could have been. But it wasn't. And the only thing those players have been remembering from last year was 7-3. Even if they'd lost another 2 (say UST & Augsburg) and finished 5-5, they'd be dwelling on how close they were to winning those two, not that it could have easily been 1-9.

Hope springs eternal in the offseason!

I hear what you're saying in terms of just assuming they'll take the next step forward to a few more wins this season. But that 7-3 has no doubt done wonders to the players psyche and for recruiting this offseason. Those 11ish transfers weren't picking apart the 7-3, but I'll be a lot fewer arrive on campus if the record was 1-9, 3-7 or 5-5.

hazzben

So, looking over the 'Watch List' for the D3 Senior Classic.

Several MIAC names on the list. But this is what jumped out to me:

North Defense
Second Team

LB Mike Juberian, Augsburg

Assuming Pat & Co. have their facts straight (and they usually do), are we really to understand that a kid who was arrested and charged with both a felony and gross misdemeanor for rioting with a weapon and throwing rocks, bottles and concrete at police is back on the team (or was never even suspended) just like that?

Augsburg doesn't have its 2014 roster up yet to really give us anything conclusive one way or the other.

Any Augsburg posters know if he really is still on the team? If so, what, if any consequences were meted out? Will he sit out a few games at least?  ???

I guess we don't have all the facts, but what we do have thus far is unsettling. I like to think one of the things that separates D3 from major college football is the accountability and high standards we still hold our student athletes to.

AO

Quote from: hazzben on August 30, 2014, 11:55:48 AM

North Defense
Second Team

Assuming Pat & Co. have their facts straight (and they usually do), are we really to understand that a kid who was arrested and charged with both a felony and gross misdemeanor for rioting with a weapon and throwing rocks, bottles and concrete at police is back on the team (or was never even suspended) just like that?

Augsburg doesn't have its 2014 roster up yet to really give us anything conclusive one way or the other.

Any Augsburg posters know if he really is still on the team? If so, what, if any consequences were meted out? Will he sit out a few games at least?  ???

I guess we don't have all the facts, but what we do have thus far is unsettling. I like to think one of the things that separates D3 from major college football is the accountability and high standards we still hold our student athletes to.
looks like he is not currently eligible to play but has put in some sort of appeal.  You can read about this and more in d3football.com's KICKOFF 2014

OldAuggie

Quote from: AO on August 30, 2014, 01:59:33 PM
Quote from: hazzben on August 30, 2014, 11:55:48 AM

North Defense
Second Team

looks like he is not currently eligible to play but has put in some sort of appeal.  You can read about this and more in d3football.com's KICKOFF 2014
This is accurate. He is not currently eligible to play.

BDB

Attended the Augsburg-UW Stout scrimmage today in Menomonie. From what I saw I believe Augsburg is in for a great year. They have good size and speed and the 1's were very athletic.

Nice contingent of Augsburg fans/parents made their way over to western Wiscy as well.

OldAuggie

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on August 30, 2014, 04:14:28 PM
Attended the Augsburg-UW Stout scrimmage today in Menomonie. From what I saw I believe Augsburg is in for a great year. They have good size and speed and the 1's were very athletic.

Nice contingent of Augsburg fans/parents made their way over to western Wiscy as well.
Thanks for the great report!

faunch

Quote from: Robert Zimmerman on August 30, 2014, 07:00:56 PM
Remember this game?  Without looking, can you name the 3 quarterbacks that played before Kofoed?

http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/college/football/2014/08/30/looking-back-sjus-kofoed-got-shot-years-ago/14876755/

I didn't have a f___in clue so I had to look it up...thus I won't name who they were.  It's **** like this that makes me wonder how SJU went from a D3 National Champ in '03 to not having a fiddler's fart of a clue who the starting QB would be in '04. 

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Pat Coleman

The D3 Senior Classic folks picked the team, we published it. That may explain some things. As things go on, hopefully we'll be able to collaborate at an earlier point in the process!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hazzben

Quote from: OldAuggie on August 30, 2014, 04:42:22 PM

I think Augsburg v. Wartburg is one of the most intriguing week 1 match ups. They've got a history of playing tough, tight games and both teams should have plenty of talent this year.

OldAuggie

Quote from: hazzben on August 31, 2014, 07:06:54 AM

I think Augsburg v. Wartburg is one of the most intriguing week 1 match ups. They've got a history of playing tough, tight games and both teams should have plenty of talent this year.
Quote from: hazzben on August 31, 2014, 07:06:54 AM

"The Battle of the Burgs" Football version. This game is obviously a good test for Augsburg, playing the #17 team on the first week. The fact that it is Wartburg makes it special.

SUMMIT!!!!!

After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb