East Region Fan Poll

Started by pg04, July 05, 2007, 09:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesleydad

Quote from: ccd494 on November 14, 2017, 09:59:30 AM
I know Husson plays zero good teams in conference, and they are usually just a shrug of the shoulders addition to anyone's poll when teams in better leagues are struggling, but it's amusing to track their ratings.

Week 1- beat Union 20-7, 2 points (not listed in voting distribution)
Week 2- beat Dean 44-12, no votes
Week 3- bye, no votes
Week 4- lost at WNE 20-14, no votes
Week 5- beat Endicott 28-7, no votes
Week 6- beat SUNY-Maritime 35-17, 1 point (10th place vote from voter 4)
Week 7- beat Castleton 49-0, no votes
Week 8- beat Gallaudet 48-21, 12 points (8, 7, NR, 8, NR)
Week 9- beat Anna Maria 70-13, 17 points (6, 7, 7, 10, 8)
Week 10- beat Alfred State 63-0, 14 points (6, 7, 9, 9, 10)
Week 11- beat Mt. Ida 42-14, 8 points (NR, 6, 7, NR, NR)

Husson moves in because other teams kept losing.  Once there are only a few teams with 0 or 1 losses it becomes hard to say that Husson could not beat them.  They did go undefeated.  Say Salisbury played their schedule, would they receive votes going undefeated.  I have no issue with them getting votes.  I have more of an issue with Salisbury and Ithaca getting votes with 3 losses.  Do I think both teams would beat Husson, probably, but that is not what this is.  If it is that type of poll then I would have Wesley first since I think they will beat both Brockport and Del Val if they play them.  But that would look stupid since Del Val already beat Wesley H2H. 

ccd494

Quote from: wesleydad on November 14, 2017, 10:08:48 AM
I know Husson plays zero good teams in conference, and they are usually just a shrug of the shoulders addition to anyone's poll when teams in better leagues are struggling, but it's amusing to track their ratings.

Week 3- bye, no votes

Husson moves in because other teams kept losing.  Once there are only a few teams with 0 or 1 losses it becomes hard to say that Husson could not beat them.  They did go undefeated.  Say Salisbury played their schedule, would they receive votes going undefeated.  I have no issue with them getting votes.  I have more of an issue with Salisbury and Ithaca getting votes with 3 losses.  Do I think both teams would beat Husson, probably, but that is not what this is.  If it is that type of poll then I would have Wesley first since I think they will beat both Brockport and Del Val if they play them.  But that would look stupid since Del Val already beat Wesley H2H.

I'm just more amused that Husson will get into people's polls, win a game by 63, and move down.  Like I said, I get why, Husson is just checking the "Blew out bad opponent" box game after game, and teams will do something more impressive around them.  It's just humorous to compare Husson's results and the poll results week to week.  They don't necessarily correlate into "Do well, move up, Do bad, move down"

D3MAFAN

Week 3- bye, no votes

At the end of season, I have no problem with both Salisbury and Ithaca in. I still think that the poll is very reasonable, I'm pretty sure my rankings look like what is presented above. I think both Delaware Valley and Brockport are still the clear #1 & #2 and would beat everyone below them 6 out of 10 times. I say that because of QB play. Also, I believe their defenses are very skilled, also each team has played through adversity at some point in the season. I  really do like Ithaca as they finished very strong. I think Salisbury could have been easily our at-large this year or even won their conference based on looking at box scores. I think the remaining teams are toss ups.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: ccd494 on November 14, 2017, 12:05:58 PM

Week 3- bye, no votes

I'm just more amused that Husson will get into people's polls, win a game by 63, and move down.  Like I said, I get why, Husson is just checking the "Blew out bad opponent" box game after game, and teams will do something more impressive around them.  It's just humorous to compare Husson's results and the poll results week to week.  They don't necessarily correlate into "Do well, move up, Do bad, move down"

I hear your argument, I think last year you would have a stronger argument. I do think you guys are right where you are, in between the 7 to 8 range, any higher I don't know. I am pretty sure you all have came along way since we since played each other back in 2011. I think you guys have a great opportunity to make a statement this upcoming weekend against Springfield and then against the #1 team or a rematch against WNE who is not ranked in our quadrant. If you guys were undefeated, I would have you in my Top 4 or 5.

ccd494

Oh, I'm not saying Husson is misranked, I just find it interesting that the actual results of Husson's games don't affect where they are voted in any way.

dlippiel

Quote from: D3MAFAN on November 14, 2017, 12:46:19 PM

Week 3- bye, no votes

At the end of season, I have no problem with both Salisbury and Ithaca in. I still think that the poll is very reasonable, I'm pretty sure my rankings look like what is presented above. I think both Delaware Valley and Brockport are still the clear #1 & #2 and would beat everyone below them 6 out of 10 times. I say that because of QB play. Also, I believe their defenses are very skilled, also each team has played through adversity at some point in the season. I  really do like Ithaca as they finished very strong. I think Salisbury could have been easily our at-large this year or even won their conference based on looking at box scores. I think the remaining teams are toss ups.

That's a pretty bold statement (not criticizing just pointing out) when you have Wesley sitting there below them both. Del Val beat them once, the first game of the season, but to dlip, he doesn't know of more than maybe 3-4 teams (maybe 5 or 6 at the most) in the nation that could beat Wesley 6 out of 10 times. With that said, both Del Val and Brockport have been impressive. With Germinerio healthy dlip believes Brockport to be the better of the two. However when it's all said and done dlip would not be surprised in the least bit to see Wesley as the last ER team standing.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: dlip on November 14, 2017, 03:35:21 PM
Quote from: D3MAFAN on November 14, 2017, 12:46:19 PM

Week 3- bye, no votes

That's a pretty bold statement (not criticizing just pointing out) when you have Wesley sitting there below them both. Del Val beat them once, the first game of the season, but to dlip, he doesn't know of more than maybe 3-4 teams (maybe 5 or 6 at the most) in the nation that could beat Wesley 6 out of 10 times. With that said, both Del Val and Brockport have been impressive. With Germinerio healthy dlip believes Brockport to be the better of the two. However when it's all said and done dlip would not be surprised in the least bit to see Wesley as the last ER team standing.

Wesley may well be the last ER team standing when said it done, I think there coaching and experience in the playoffs will play a big part as well. However I think QB play is also important when playoffs start. Not that the young kid hasn't been good, but  he is far from that of Callahan. After week 1 and 2, having Senior leadership (or someone with significant experience) under center is key, unless you have an All-American Running back and offensive line blowing people off the line.

AUKaz00

Quote from: ccd494 on November 14, 2017, 02:38:35 PM
Oh, I'm not saying Husson is misranked, I just find it interesting that the actual results of Husson's games don't affect where they are voted in any way.

Don't forget that while Husson is winning, their opponents are playing games as well. Past results can be diminished or elevated based on later results.

And every voter isn't beholden to ranking teams only on record, which is what I think makes the rankings fun.
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

Bartman

Well, Husson is misranked compared to Springfield, at least. I think the bottom 6 could be re-shuffeled after this weekend...but the top 4 teams still seem solid
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

rams1102

Quote from: AUKaz00 on November 17, 2017, 10:24:36 PM
Quote from: ccd494 on November 14, 2017, 02:38:35 PM

Don't forget that while Husson is winning, their opponents are playing games as well. Past results can be diminished or elevated based on later results.

And every voter isn't beholden to ranking teams only on record, which is what I think makes the rankings fun.

Are we going to do a Final Poll after the Playoffs. That SB fun. Thoughts?
It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

Machiavelli

No need for a final pole. Here ya go.

1   Brockport St
2   Delaware Valley
3   Frostburg St
4   Wesley
5   RPI
6   Ithaca
7   Salisbury
8   Husson
9   Alfred
10  Springfield

33 Plymouth St.

@d3jason

Quote from: Machiavelli on December 01, 2017, 01:43:31 PM
No need for a final pole. Here ya go.

1   Brockport St
2   Delaware Valley
3   Frostburg St
4   Wesley
5   RPI
6   Ithaca
7   Salisbury
8   Husson
9   Alfred
10  Springfield

33 Plymouth St.

Interesting prediction.

Frostburg could jump above both Delaware Valley/Brockport or fall below Wesley because they had an easier draw in the first two rounds and Wesley beat them.

D3viewer

"33 Plymouth St"

Thanks for clearing that up. I was stuggling to figure out my #33 spot. 33's about halfway between 0-66. Sounds about right.

gordonmann

QuoteFrostburg could jump above both Delaware Valley/Brockport or fall below Wesley because they had an easier draw in the first two rounds and Wesley beat them.

Beating Wittenberg and W&J on the road in the first two rounds is easier then beating RPI at home and losing to Brockport?

thewaterboy

Brockport > Wittenberg and W and J.