BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

A quick update on what's going on in the Sunshine State...

Berg (4-0)--Thanks to Gramps for all his info.  Much appreciated.  The only additional interesting things I saw were that they have won their 4 games by a combined score of 72-3.  Also, their starting pitchers have yet to allow an earned run.  Finally, Soph. Alex Monroe is off to a blazing start hitting an even .500 and slugging .929 thus far.     

JCU (5-1)--As I mentioned above they have played Bluffton twice already and will undoubtedly move to 6-1 when they play John Jay tomorrow (they beat them 19-1 the first time and everyone is abusing JJ).  Bluffton is not going to want to see an OAC team again for a LONG time after this trip.  And John Jay might not want to see anyone in the opposing batter's box for a long time. 

Musky (4-2)--Ho hum, Wes Carder and Brock Whiteman are off to good starts at the plate.  Big surprise, right?  I'm sure no one is surprised that they're hitting .478 and .474, respectively.  What I was surprised by though was taking a look at their stats and seeing that the Fish have had 5 solid starts in their 6 games so far.  They can always hit, but if they can somehow pitch a little too...

Cap (4-3)--I know they're not in FL, but this is my chance to give everyone an update.  Still no box scores on the Cap website since the Averett DH.  In case you can't tell I am still unhappy with this.  Do they miss Lenny Reich that much?  Do we need to ask JK to throw his clout around?  Do I need to make the 10 minute drive from downtown to Bexley and offer to post them myself?

Gramps

The Berg is now 4-1 after being defeated by Winona State 5-3."Sly" Nino Fr RHP gave up 5 runs on 7 hits. He also had 3 Ks . HITTERS: Having two hits each were M. Grassley and J. Lash, J. Wentworth had 3 hits.
:(
Fri. 3-6 vs Bluffton at 12:00PM :

JK

Quote from: Dr. Acula on March 05, 2009, 09:05:16 PM
Do they miss Lenny Reich that much?  Do we need to ask JK to throw his clout around?  Do I need to make the 10 minute drive from downtown to Bexley and offer to post them myself?

I miss Lenny that much.  The guy was a great SID.  I actually wrote him an email asking for some old stuff from my playing days and he responded and sent it to me.  Have you checked out how much MUC's websites have improved since he got there? 

However, give the SI department some slack here.  They had the womens OAC hoops tourney there this past weekend, are hosting the first and second rounds of the men's NCAA hoops tourney, and the OAC indoor Track and Field Championships are also there this week.

Lots going on.  Early season baseball is on the back-burner right now.

Finally, I wish I had that kind of clout at Cap.  Maybe if Coach Welsh (my football coach back in the day) were still AD and Lenny were still SID, then I might.  ;D

bballfanatic1984

Does anyone know if/when BW is going on their spring trip??? How are they going to do this year, will they be able to compete with the big three? Are they sleepers in the conference?

RSSmith

Quote from: bballfanatic1984 on March 06, 2009, 12:37:25 PM
Does anyone know if/when BW is going on their spring trip??? How are they going to do this year, will they be able to compete with the big three? Are they sleepers in the conference?

They leave for Florida this weekend.  http://www.bw.edu/athletics/bb/sched/

They were 19-19 last year with some quality wins (e.g. DH vs. Otterbein, Haverford) and quality losses (e.g. Heidelberg, Marietta) and return a dozen players from that team, including 4 starting pitchers.  They should not be overlooked.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

Dr. Acula

JCU moved to 6-1 w/ an 11-4 win over John Jay this morning.  The Bloodhounds have allowed 119 runs in the first 7 games.  The Streaks finish up in FL w/ a DH against Becker tomorrow.  Becker is starting their season against Musky today. 

ONU lost to #22 Thiel 12-8 today.  They're now 2-3 on the season.  Just based on looking at stats, it looks like Northern's pitching is a little slow coming out of the gate.  But it also looks like some Fr/So are getting starts, so it's not a major concern. 

OAC baseball fan 3

How does ONU and Wilmington look this year?  Good PItching and or hitting?

Dr. Acula

MUC's season got off to an exciting start.  Their bus caught fire right after they crossed the border into FL early Saturday morning.  Players had to push out windows and jump out.  Luckily no one was hurt, just some damage to their belongings.

MUC split with Albion today.  Paul Mariotti tossed a CG shutout to pick up the 4-0 win in the opener.  Albion pushed across a couple insurance runs in the top of the 7th and held off MUC 7-5 in the 2nd game.  Greg Ferrell went 4-8 on the day.  Soph. Dan Henderson DH'd and went 3-7 on the day.

And JK, I'm adding Lenny Reich to my holiday card list.  The DH started at 4pm today and they had live stats, audio and the box scores are already up.  The guy is my hero.       

Gramps

Arrived home Sat. night to much rain, indicating that our Florida baseball junket was over.

Heidelberg now has a 7-2 record after splitting a doubleheader with #13th ranked Wooster on Sun.
I have no details just the information that they were both lively games.

Dr. Acula was right about the experience of following baseball in sunny Florida.  The team was brought closer together and so were the parents and grandparents at a special get together hosted by Bob and
Julie Lowe. Much appreciated by all who attended.

Gramps

3-8 /sun: Game one - Wooster 16 - Heidelberg 12
                Game two - Heidelberg 12 - Wooster 4

3-9 Mon: vs Benedictine 2 - Berg 11 Sorry, no details.The Berg stands at 8-2 for the Florida trip.

The team will now travel to Demorest, Ga. for two games with Piedmont College, Thurs. 3/12, 7:00PM
and Fri 3/13 at 3:00PM.

Than back up North for a game with Bluffton on St. Patrick Day, Tues. 3/17 at 4:00PM.

ECSUalum

Scott Chiasson now pitching for Baltimore vs Mets on SNY Network.  score is 3-3
His first inning 0 runs, no hits, no errors, 1 walk, (Mets ground into DP)

Pitched just one inning

Matt DeSalvo now pitching for Mets 0 runs 1 hit no errors in his inning

Dr. Acula

MUC moved to 4-1 after sweeping Waynesburg yesterday and beating Mt. St. Joe's 10-9 today. 

I took a quick look at their stats and was surprised to see 3B Nate McFarland has 7 doubles already.  He's 9-17 overall (.529).  Not too bad.

Anyone have any updates on the other teams in FL this week?  If not, I'll check later before I leave work.   

Dr. Acula

Here are the OAC teams' records through today (or at least through the early games) in order of winning %:

Ott  (1-0)   
JCU  (8-1)
Berg  (8-2)   
MUC  (4-1)   
Etta  (3-1)
Musky  (6-3)
ONU  (4-3)   
Cap  (5-5)
BW  (2-2)
Wilm  (1-2)

OAC baseball fan 3

Who are the top pitchers in the OAC so far?

mideastfan2

be proud of Marietta....they are playing an extremely tough schedule in Texas on their spring trip, and are taking care of the teams from the ASC. 

They beat #3 UT-Tyler last night 6-5, and took down McMurry 11-5 tonight.  The Pioneers got a GREAT performance on the mound from freshman Brian Gasser (7 IP, 9 K's, 8 hits, 3 runs).

Tomorrow they will play UT-Dallas, and Hardin-Simmons (both teams have winning records on the year and have each played at least 15 game already).

MC is representing the OAC down south!!!