BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorman

Don't know about everybody else, but the 50 degree weather yesterday made me want to come out of hibernation. Only 56 days till I leave for Florida and 57 until the Berg plays their first game. The other regions have been talking about where regionals are going to be held. Is the MidEast Regional going back to Marietta? They made the announcement last year in November but no news yet this year. I know the NCAA does things like this when the feel like it, not on any timetable.

CrashDavisD3

NCAA is never consistent year to year. Announcement come out for everything almost never at the same time as the prior years, include rule changes, updates to publications etc...
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Gramps

motorman & pitchersmon, I envy you about going to Florida and looking forward to another of following THE BERG and your son's baseball accomplishments on the mound.  The last four years of camradarie with THE BERG family has been one of the high lights of following my grandchildren's progress in the arena of life.  The many friends that Lucy and me made over the last four years will never be forgotten.  Best of Luck to THE BERG team for the 2012 Season and know that our thoughts will be with you throughout the year. 

GO BERG, BACK TO GRAND CHUTE!!

motorman

D3.com preseason poll posted today. Marietta unanimous #1, Heidelberg #10. Hope Berg lives up to that ranking. Gonna be tough replacing 6 starting position players. Looks like a slap at the NCAC in that no one from their conference even received a single vote among the others receiving votes. 40 days till the first game in Florida.

motorman

Gotta love it, next week at this time the Berg should be about done with the first game of the season. Let's get rid of the white stuff while we are in Florida so that we have a decent spring.

Dr. Acula

Season's here!

BW should have that offense clicking going into the meat of their FL schedule.  Drop the opener at Shawnee St. 6-3 then rattle off a couple drubbings of Walsh 16-4 and 14-4.  Since they open in FL with a pair against the always bad John Jay they should be sitting at 4-1 early.

It's no secret I thought Harrison was a good hire.  I thought he could coach, especially offensively, and definitely recruit.  With a couple freshmen in the middle of the order early he's doing exactly what he wanted...incrementally improve his top talent from year to year.  It's a lot like what Grice is trying to do at Cap.  Etta is loaded so everyone's playing for 2nd, but I love watching the movement in that 2nd tier of the conference.

p.s. No slight to the Berg whatsoever saying everyone is playing for 2nd.  NO ONE is a bigger Matt Palm fan than me.  Guy has done as good a job as anyone in the nation.  But Etta is the defending champs with A LOT back.  Berg lost a historic senior class.  One that changed that program in a huge way.  That's tough to replace.

Dr. Acula

Just checked the OAC page.  Ott is 2-0 with a sweep of Centre.  JCU is 0-2 after a DH w/ Case.  Cap is 2-1 heading into FL.

Also, found it interesting that Cap has no seniors.  Only 5 juniors.  And 29 soph/frosh. 

mideastfan2

Marietta will host the 2012 Mideast Regional. This could make it even tougher for another team to make it to Appleton....this could be another huge opportunity for the Pioneers and their loaded pitching staff.

Dr. Acula

mideast, who are you looking at to fill out the rotation after Gasser and Blaski?  I'd assume Mahaffey?  It seemed like he and Levens got a fair number of starts last year.  With their top 2 and Lindquist at the back end that really seems to be the only question is who's the bottom half of the rotation?

EttaFan1

Mahaffey is likely #3
Logan Lewis is likely #4

Spoke to someone today who said Linquist has not been throwing lately, a shoulder problem perhaps.

We also have Luke Langdon who threw several innings last year, and Mike Mulvey who also threw some last year. 

Dr. Acula

Quote from: motorman on January 24, 2012, 04:36:13 PM
D3.com preseason poll posted today. Marietta unanimous #1, Heidelberg #10. Hope Berg lives up to that ranking. Gonna be tough replacing 6 starting position players. Looks like a slap at the NCAC in that no one from their conference even received a single vote among the others receiving votes. 40 days till the first game in Florida.

I don't know if there's more pressure on any single player in the OAC than there is on Ricky Lizcano.  He's a stud and they need him to have a huge year because they're going to leaning on him big time with only Williams and the defensive heavy Martin back. 

Any Berg folks see anything during fall ball?  Is O'Driscoll going to be starting or perhaps taking Lowe's spot?  I'll say this...I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas is their #1 at some point this season if he stays healthy.  Holt, Nino, Thomas and O'Driscoll is a very solid staff. 

Dr. Acula

Quote from: EttaFan1 on February 28, 2012, 02:11:33 PM
Mahaffey is likely #3
Logan Lewis is likely #4

Spoke to someone today who said Linquist has not been throwing lately, a shoulder problem perhaps.

We also have Luke Langdon who threw several innings last year, and Mike Mulvey who also threw some last year.

Thanks EttaFan.  Hope Lindquist is okay.  They certainly have no reason to rush him as they're gunning for another long season.

motorman

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 28, 2012, 07:32:31 PM

I don't know if there's more pressure on any single player in the OAC than there is on Ricky Lizcano.  He's a stud and they need him to have a huge year because they're going to leaning on him big time with only Williams and the defensive heavy Martin back. 

Any Berg folks see anything during fall ball?  Is O'Driscoll going to be starting or perhaps taking Lowe's spot?  I'll say this...I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas is their #1 at some point this season if he stays healthy.  Holt, Nino, Thomas and O'Driscoll is a very solid staff.

Dr,

I think the plan is for O'Driscoll to move into Lowe's role. He closed all the fall games. Could be quite an adventure for Berg through the early part of the season because of injuries. Did you see Thomas pitch against Marietta at regionals or are you just going by what you heard? He needs to get some consistency but it looks like he could fulfill your prediction in the near future.

motorman

I forgot my P.S.

Good luck to all the other OAC teams in Florida. Can't wait to get down there myself.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: motorman on February 29, 2012, 07:08:49 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 28, 2012, 07:32:31 PM

Dr,

I think the plan is for O'Driscoll to move into Lowe's role. He closed all the fall games. Could be quite an adventure for Berg through the early part of the season because of injuries. Did you see Thomas pitch against Marietta at regionals or are you just going by what you heard? He needs to get some consistency but it looks like he could fulfill your prediction in the near future.

I wondered if that wouldn't be the case for O'Driscoll.  You can't blame Palm.  He's been spoiled with that ability to shorten the game with a great closer for years.  It certainly works for him so why change it?

I didn't see the Etta game at regionals.  I've followed him since HS because he's from Perry (I'm a Lake guy) so I knew he was lights out in a very good DI league.  You don't do what he did without being very good.  Maybe my prediction was partially me being a homer, but I still stand by it!  He'll be a good one.

Who's injured, motorman?  Hopefully nothing serious.