MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(509)Rat

How come Grant didn't play in Fox's first 2 games?

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: A Buc Forever on November 16, 2014, 02:51:08 AM
Why was Whitworth playing D'Youville?  They were 1-24 last year.  You only get 25 games in DIII--waste of a game!!!

Whitman is playing D'Youville as well FWIW, and beat them 129-88. Looks like Whitman played everyone a lot, but kept the full-court press on (forced 30 turnovers--though D'Youville is pretty bad, so who knows how long that took?). I think part of the draw was they were willing to come to us and it's not always easy to schedule D3 opponents that will come to you--especially on our tiny NWC island. Rutgers-Newark and St. Thomas are coming this weekend to face the Whits. I'm excited to see how the Whits do vs. St. Thomas! I don't know as much about R-N, but from the looks of it they aren't bad. Should give us a good insight where we are with Whitman, and where the NWC is with other teams in the west.

Keandre

I amvery excited to watch UPS this year. Barber will be a stud and Holden will have a breakout year if he can stay healthy. Quick question, what is the WM's coach record in the playoffs against UPS since he has been there? Not many people have good things to say about UPS coach like they do WM coach so I just wanted to know playoff records against one another.

blackhawks4

Now that was fun to watch!

Basketball is a game of runs, and you hope that over 40 minutes, that statistically, everything evens out. Well, it didn't. St. Thomas shoots 14-22 from the 3 pt line. The worst part is that I can't say they didn't deserve to. The second St.Thomas shooters had the smallest opening, they were  lights out. They are what a national champion looks like.

Whitman gave a strong showing. 66% from the floor and 47% from three. 30 1st half points in the paint.

The Whits need to play MORE of these games. No more cupcake preseason games! They need to go to Wisconsin and go to the east coast in the preseason. We don't see this competition enough.  Our conference play doesn't prepare the Whits for the national level. You could sense that every shot Whitman made was a huge shot, and every shot St. Thomas made suggested "we've been here a million times."

I would imagine you can just knock off 20 points for each team and you'll have Saturday's score.

Pinecone_Curtain

Wish I could have seen the Whitman/St. Thomas game. I was tracking online, and it looked like a good one. Watched the Whitworth one online though and have a few thoughts. 1) Whitworth isn't what it used to be. I mean, that's obvious. This is a top 25 team, but not a top 20 team. There's no go-to player, their post play is average, and they are wholly dependent on defense. With that said, they are a very good defensive team, but I can't imagine this team being in very many shootouts. 2) Rutgers-Newark is pretty solid. Lots of length, they aren't lights out shooters, but they seem to make the shots when they needed. And they were a very good defensive team as well. Definitely a defensive battle tonight. Kudos to RN for coming into Whitworth and picking off a quality win. Didn't look like the crowd was very large, but a win is a win. 3) Those refs <

blackhawks4

Pinecone, I saw the ww ot session. In 5 mins of watching, here's my two cents: Agree ww is solid across the board, as usual. Also agree though that I didn't see a go-to player.

Love your play-by-play crew. Thought they were awesome. Didn't think that was a foul under the bucket on your big fellow--that call hurt. But also didn't think it was a loose ball foul at the end.
I did appreciate Logies jacket spike. I found that enjoyable. However I wish he would have gone for distance instead.  I also enjoyed seeing a referee give a technical foul AFTER the game was over...I think that speaks to the crew you had.

Interested to see WMN-Rutgers.  A WMN win sets a huge conference precedence.

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: blackhawks4 on November 21, 2014, 02:11:54 AM
Pinecone, I saw the ww ot session. In 5 mins of watching, here's my two cents: Agree ww is solid across the board, as usual. Also agree though that I didn't see a go-to player.

Love your play-by-play crew. Thought they were awesome. Didn't think that was a foul under the bucket on your big fellow--that call hurt. But also didn't think it was a loose ball foul at the end.
I did appreciate Logies jacket spike. I found that enjoyable. However I wish he would have gone for distance instead.  I also enjoyed seeing a referee give a technical foul AFTER the game was over...I think that speaks to the crew you had.

Interested to see WMN-Rutgers.  A WMN win sets a huge conference precedence.

It was a great jacket spike and post-game T ;D

If Whitman hits their 3's (and I think they will), they should win. Whitworth couldn't buy a bucket tonight both inside (RN was too big and long) and outside (just flat-out missed the shots).

Gregory Sager

Quote from: blackhawks4 on November 21, 2014, 12:54:31 AMThe Whits need to play MORE of these games. No more cupcake preseason games! They need to go to Wisconsin and go to the east coast in the preseason.

Regular season, bh4, not preseason. These games count.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sac

blackhawks4

While the rest of the conference is busy being treated like a punching bag (is the league really this down??!), I' like to personally thank Lewis & Clark.

WMN is now up 35 points on Rutgers-Newark.  These guys are terrible.  This is who you lost to WW?  At home?? WOW.  Tonight against St. Thomas might be a blood bath.  Somebody bring Logie a few extra suit jackets, I think he's going to need them.

When WMN shares the ball and lets the game come to them, they are good--top 25.  When they try to force an early one-on-one, they're not as good.  We all knew it was just a matter of time, but I think this may be the year that the power in the conference has finally shifted...

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: blackhawks4 on November 22, 2014, 08:09:11 PM
WMN is now up 35 points on Rutgers-Newark.  These guys are terrible.  This is who you lost to WW?  At home?? WOW.  Tonight against St. Thomas might be a blood bath.  Somebody bring Logie a few extra suit jackets, I think he's going to need them.

When WMN shares the ball and lets the game come to them, they are good--top 25.  When they try to force an early one-on-one, they're not as good.  We all knew it was just a matter of time, but I think this may be the year that the power in the conference has finally shifted...

Whitman and Whitworth play two completely different styles: one is run and gun, the other is grind it out. What might work against one team might not work against another. This is not new information. But, like I've been saying all pre-season, I think this could be the year Whitman catches Whitworth. It's early, Whitman has a bunch of good seniors, while Whitworth is relying mostly on sophomores and a junior playing out of position to carry the scoring load. Hopefully the Pirates right the ship tonight.

blackhawks4

No matter what style of play, what is new information is the net result. I'm worried WW isn't even a playoff team. WMN, L&C, UPS, GF?? If the Pirates are trying to "right the ship," they might need a new captain, first mate, and crew...Ps. Whitman has 2 seniors on their team.

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: blackhawks4 on November 23, 2014, 01:02:59 PM
No matter what style of play, what is new information is the net result. I'm worried WW isn't even a playoff team. WMN, L&C, UPS, GF?? If the Pirates are trying to "right the ship," they might need a new captain, first mate, and crew...Ps. Whitman has 2 seniors on their team.

Three, but who's counting? ;D Plus Mounier is probably Whitman's best player and Lippi is arguably their best shooter. Whitworth's seniors are Farnsworth and Wilks. Farnsworth is either feast (@Montana) or famine (this last week), and Wilks is a decent back up post player I guess, but the offense doesn't go through them like it does with Mounier at Whitman. Whitworth is relying on Jurlina (So.), Brown (So.), Love (So.), and Staudacher (transfer) for a huge bulk of their scoring. Whitworth will have some growing pains along the way as Staudacher, Brown and Love try to find their niche in the offense, and while Jurlina becomes more disciplined on offense.

Whitworth was cold again against St. Thomas, which is starting to be a trend. I definitely am not worried that this is a playoff team, but on a national scale this team is certainly down as this weekend proved. Yeah we got our clocks cleaned by St. Thomas, but if a bad no call goes our way, we are probably 2-1 just like you guys down in W2. And at least we didn't give up 88 points to the worst shooting D3 team I've ever seen  ;D

I think the league goes Whit, Whit, UPS, LC. Until we start losing to the Willamettes and Linfields I'm not too worried.

blackhawks4

Would someone please explain to me how Rutgers-Newark, Chapman, and Clairemont Mudd Scripps are receiving more top 25 votes than Whitman? Anybody???

Let's start with the SCIAC...our top teams mop the floor with theirs every year.  Has a NWC team lost to a SCIAC team in the NCAA tourney in the last 15 years? Wait 'til you see what WMN does to Chapman tomorrow.

And WMN just humiliated (I think that's a fair word) Rutgers-Newark by 27 points. They were NOT good.

Seriously D3 poll, get it together.

Back on the NWC front, you're really stretchin' with that argument, Pinecone. I also forgot to mention #1 on UPS on my all NWC team.

(509)Rat

Quote from: blackhawks4 on November 28, 2014, 10:36:10 PM
Wait 'til you see what WMN does to Chapman tomorrow.

I'm still waiting...

Chapman 72
Whitman 67

Whitman may very well win the NWC this year as Whitworth hasn't seen anyone step up as a go to scorer (they have a few who are perfectly capable IMO). But suggesting that Whitworth won't finish in the top 4 of the NWC is the dumbest thing anyone has said on these forums, and the fact that blackhawks has graced us with his presence for over a season now, the bar has been set high.

Whitman plays a style that exposes teams with lesser talent and over the past several years has given their players and fans a lot of confidence going in to the NWC season. They look at the box scores of games Whitworth has with common opponents and come to the same conclusion that blackhawks is right now. We beat team A by more points than Whitworth did, therefore we are better than Whitworth. Then the season plays out and Whitworth is again on top of the conference and in the national tourney. Maybe it will be different this year...wouldn't hold my breath.

Whitworth has 4 games that they should win heading in to NWC play, giving them plenty of time to get their new roles figured out. I think Logie will have them ready to go by January.