FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Hawks88 on December 15, 2011, 09:05:06 PM
Yeah, I tried looking through websites and compare admission criteria but Huntingdon was the only one that I found minimum criteria for grades/test scores listed. Others might choose one year's class and show that class' average. I just can't imagine that Huntingdon's numbers would be very different from most of the SAA schools in that regard. If they are afraid that we would gain some competitive advantage athletically then it's not like we have taken advantage of that so far. I added up our football records against all SCAC schools and came up with 9-8. Not like we've been dominating by any stretch of the imagination and I'm pretty sure most sports aren't much different from that.
I guess we just have to accept that our only shot at a conference for the foreseeable future is to hope that CNU decides to leave the USAC and maybe open up a spot for us.

Go Hawks!
I agree.

Hawks88

DGP, you and yours be safe on your trip to Salem. Wish I could go. Maybe one of these years it will work out that we will get to go.

DGPugh

Hawks88

this is our 5th trip, i have had such a blast on th other Staggs, the Stone Station folk are awesome, and the BBQ+ is excellent, and the folk in Salem are real nice
we just got in

i wish u'd try to come one yr, only place i know you can hang with this many cool people, see a real live natioanl championship football game, and then go to a gun show....all at the same place
keep the faith
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 
Ephesians 6:11

Shoreman

Did a little research about SAA member schools as well as, SCAC football, and a few other schools who have been discussed in this forum. I have to retract my comments about Trinity's academic requirements, and was really surprised at the size of that schools endowment. Long and short all of the schools are quality institutions. I think it would still be a great fit for W & L, and a stretch for Huntingdon.

See attached pdf

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Shoreman on December 16, 2011, 11:57:15 AM
Did a little research about SAA member schools as well as, SCAC football, and a few other schools who have been discussed in this forum. I have to retract my comments about Trinity's academic requirements, and was really surprised at the size of that schools endowment. Long and short all of the schools are quality institutions. I think it would still be a great fit for W & L, and a stretch for Huntingdon.

See attached pdf
I was surprised to see the $118M for Oglethorpe.

Previous disccusions had found OU's endowment in the $20-30M range from public sources.

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4753.msg1324739#msg1324739

Ron Boerger

See attached pdf

+1 for your research, Shoreman.   Trinity's been working hard to increase their admission standards & rigor over the last decade or so, if not longer.  Not sure they'd let someone in with the scores & GPA that got me in back in the day. 

jknezek

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 16, 2011, 01:47:32 PM
+1 for your research, Shoreman.   Trinity's been working hard to increase their admission standards & rigor over the last decade or so, if not longer.  Not sure they'd let someone in with the scores & GPA that got me in back in the day.

That's how I feel about W&L. And I only graduated about 11 years ago. No way I'd be getting in. Nice work on the chart. I'll +1 you as well!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 16, 2011, 12:11:45 PM

See attached pdf
I was surprised to see the $118M for Oglethorpe.

Previous disccusions had found OU's endowment in the $20-30M range from public sources.

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4753.msg1324739#msg1324739

I do not find Oglethorpe in the NACUBO listings of endowments for Jan 2011, showing 2010 results.

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/research/2010NCSE_Public_Tables_Endowment_Market_Values_Final.pdf

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Shoreman on December 16, 2011, 04:09:58 PM
Ralph, correction: Oglethorpe endowment$17,293,794

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/oglethorpe-university-1586
Thanks.  It looks like that they are suffereing with the 10-15% drop in endowment that everyone else has in this market.

DGPugh

Shoreman

i read Oglethorpes Endowment as you stated being off from your chart by 10x, and 1/2 of Huntingdons endowment you site, yet  you say "...and a stretch for Huntingdon."

i am sitting in my truck trying to stay warm before the game.. Nasty rain and cold in Salem. ?????, but must be missing somthing

yall keep the faith
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 

jknezek

Quote from: DGPugh link=topic=7534.msg1386275#msg1386275 date=1324077677

i am sitting in my truck trying to stay warm before the game.. Nasty rain and cold in Salem. ?????,
b]but must be missing somthing[/b]

Based on Shoreman's table it looks like Huntingdon is a notch below the rest of the schools academically. The selectivity ratio and Middle 50% ACT scores look quite a bit less impressive than the rest of the list. I'm sure there are plenty of arguments in both directions and you could probably find area's where Huntingdon would climb up this list a bit. But, with Trinity and the other left-behinds all in the middle of the list, I think we can rule out pure academics for the SAA move. Might just be a case of... "these our are friends and the schools we want to associate with... those are not. Please stop asking questions."

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on December 16, 2011, 06:40:02 PM
Quote from: DGPugh link=topic=7534.msg1386275#msg1386275 date=1324077677

i am sitting in my truck trying to stay warm before the game.. Nasty rain and cold in Salem. ?????,
b]but must be missing somthing[/b]

Based on Shoreman's table it looks like Huntingdon is a notch below the rest of the schools academically. The selectivity ratio and Middle 50% ACT scores look quite a bit less impressive than the rest of the list. I'm sure there are plenty of arguments in both directions and you could probably find area's where Huntingdon would climb up this list a bit. But, with Trinity and the other left-behinds all in the middle of the list, I think we can rule out pure academics for the SAA move. Might just be a case of... "these our are friends and the schools we want to associate with... those are not. Please stop asking questions."
You probably won't have to ask why you weren't asked to the party...

DGPugh

Sir Ralph (obi wan)

i believe you are correct, there is no reason to ask..

i just do not see much of a difference between BSC, Oglethorpe, and Huntingdon (particularly as i read the ACT distribution, GPA in highschool and the endowment in light of the oglethorpe correction)... but hay, i don't work with, teach, or mess up undergraduates. i just see the crazies that want to do what i do, after they graduate from (among others) the schools with which we are speaking, and when they show up at the loveliest village on the plains.  ;D

the understanding of exclusion from the original SAA group is just way above my pay grade  :)
as far as Trinity... i ain't gonna argue about them and Huntingdon, Trinity has Dr Lawrence Espey on faculty.... big time, Huntingdon ain't.

yall keep the faith

Shoreman

Keep in mind that Oglethorpe has been a member of the SCAC since the 80's. Looking a little closer at Huntingdon, their history, sports offered, location does make for a good fit with the SAA. For sure their admission standards are a bit lower, but that could simply be tied to their mission. No doubt it is tough to be a D-3 football school in the south. They would be a good fit for the USA south, but would have a big travel budget. But the fact is they already have a big travel budget competing as an independent.