Rule and Policy Changes

Started by hopefan, June 24, 2015, 09:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

They have ronk. Despite the fact we can't get the final data or regional rankings, the NCAA is very much about transparency.

First off, here is a chat going on in the General Topics section you would be interested in: http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=8431.0

Here is my comment about the topics up for a vote: http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=8431.msg1722749#msg1722749

The more specific links are:

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 08, 2016, 12:45:53 AM
AND if you are in for a long read, here is the final notice of what will be up for a vote (for the most part) at next week's convention (Division III only): http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016%20DIII%20Official%20Notice.pdf. A lot of what is in the second half is talked about at the business meeting and voted through on the whole, as it was last year. It is the first half that features the votes and ALL the details there in. If you want the cribs note version, here you go: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016_DIII_Proposal_Chart.pdf.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 11, 2016, 09:11:46 PM
They have ronk. Despite the fact we can't get the final data or regional rankings, the NCAA is very much about transparency.

First off, here is a chat going on in the General Topics section you would be interested in: http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=8431.0

Here is my comment about the topics up for a vote: http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=8431.msg1722749#msg1722749

The more specific links are:

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 08, 2016, 12:45:53 AM
AND if you are in for a long read, here is the final notice of what will be up for a vote (for the most part) at next week's convention (Division III only): http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016%20DIII%20Official%20Notice.pdf. A lot of what is in the second half is talked about at the business meeting and voted through on the whole, as it was last year. It is the first half that features the votes and ALL the details there in. If you want the cribs note version, here you go: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016_DIII_Proposal_Chart.pdf.

Thanks - have a good trip.

y_jack_lok

Does anyone know what the rules say about a coach being on the court during live action? I observed a coach occupying the corner of the court where the baseline and sideline meet. I mean he had the backs of his feet well onto the playing surface as there was clearly court space (up to a foot at least, at times) between his heels and the out-of-bounds lines. He only did this in the first half of the game when his team was on defense, so the opposition was trying to run its offense down there. Itcaused no obvious interference with the opposition's offense, but it struck me as as subtle way of influencing things on the court. As I said, he did not do this in the second half when his team was on offense at that end of the floor.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 04, 2016, 07:56:18 AM
Does anyone know what the rules say about a coach being on the court during live action? I observed a coach occupying the corner of the court where the baseline and sideline meet. I mean he had the backs of his feet well onto the playing surface as there was clearly court space (up to a foot at least, at times) between his heels and the out-of-bounds lines. He only did this in the first half of the game when his team was on defense, so the opposition was trying to run its offense down there. Itcaused no obvious interference with the opposition's offense, but it struck me as as subtle way of influencing things on the court. As I said, he did not do this in the second half when his team was on offense at that end of the floor.

If they're on the playing floor and a player runs into them, I believe it's supposed to be a technical foul - great way to get a FT if you just bump them.  I've seen a number of NBA players do it (although they don't usually give the tech in the NBA).
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 04, 2016, 08:11:55 AM

If they're on the playing floor and a player runs into them, I believe it's supposed to be a technical foul - great way to get a FT if you just bump them.  I've seen a number of NBA players do it (although they don't usually give the tech in the NBA).

Well, that's a possible outcome of something happening. I'm really asking if there is anything specific in the rules about whether or not the coach can be on the floor or not and if the officials can do anything about it before an incident happens. I know I wasn't that clear in my initial post. Sorry. Thanks for the response. Any further information would be appreciated.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 04, 2016, 08:26:40 AM

Well, that's a possible outcome of something happening. I'm really asking if there is anything specific in the rules about whether or not the coach can be on the floor or not and if the officials can do anything about it before an incident happens. I know I wasn't that clear in my initial post. Sorry. Thanks for the response. Any further information would be appreciated.

I suppose a ref could tell them to get off the floor and then call a foul if they don't?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 04, 2016, 09:16:44 AM
Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 04, 2016, 08:26:40 AM

I suppose a ref could tell them to get off the floor and then call a foul if they don't?

Thanks again. I really do appreciate you taking the time to read and reply. I'm not looking for speculation, though. I'd really like to know what the rules say and I'm sure there are at least a few regular posters out there who probably have a copy of the rule book and could let me know the rule. I can search for it myself if it comes to that. Just thought it might be quicker to ask.

Just Bill

Technically, it's a technical foul because they are outside of the coaching box. No warning or interference is necessary. But it's almost never enforced unless the coach is being an a**.

I'll find you the rule citation in a moment.

UPDATE: I was wrong in that the rule does call for one warning before issuing a technical foul.

Rule 10 Article 2, f(1)
The head coach may stand but must remain completely and clearly
in his coaching box. One warning shall be issued to the head coach
before any subsequent infraction is penalized.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR17.pdf
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

hopefan

It's not anything that ever bothered me, because I'd rather see a coach do that.. that is, COACH... rather than be out there yelling at the refs...  As long as he never  makes contact with a player, or influences the path of a player or the path of a pass... or isn't actually making body motions close to a player when the player is shooting...  It's not something I've ever thought too much about
Now then, if he's out there to yell at the ref, T him up...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

sac

Coaches on the court is a side sport in the MIAA.

I think most refs understand d3 gyms don't have the space of the big arenas and give a lot of leeway.   Some sidelines are really tight.

y_jack_lok

Thanks everyone for your input -- especially Just Bill for the rule citation. +1K. Each one's personal opinions notwithstanding, my view is that the case I observed was a deliberate "tale of two halves". In the second half he stayed clearly out of bounds when his team was on offense at that end of the floor. He could have done the same in the first half. I know lots of coaches prowl the sideline and coach their team verbally as play is going on and that their feet are at times on the playing surface and I have no problem with that. But last night was something I have never seen a coach do before -- literally standing and not moving with both feet clearly in bounds. And it wasn't just once. It was on virtually every possession. I was trying to watch play on the floor, but every time I looked at the coach when the action was down there in the first half the coach was in that same spot. As I said, nothing specific happened that affected the game, but it's hard to know how a player on the court might be influenced by that coach's presence in that location.

AppletonRocks

Tom Crean should be sent to a prison camp for violations in this area.  >:( >:(
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Throwing this one in here because it is the most relevant room I figure for this.

I decided to tackle something in Division III I don't think many understand or appreciate. As a result, my suggestions at changing preseason basketball in Division III: http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/2016/10/20/time-to-change-preseason-basketball/

Feel free to discuss or even share with others.

Thanks!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 20, 2016, 04:46:41 PM
Throwing this one in here because it is the most relevant room I figure for this.

I decided to tackle something in Division III I don't think many understand or appreciate. As a result, my suggestions at changing preseason basketball in Division III: http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/2016/10/20/time-to-change-preseason-basketball/

Thanks!

Some good ideas, Dave. Meet the newcomers, have  a few practices w/open tryouts to reduce the # later in the preseason. Students should be able to drop in with the coaches, in-season or out-of-season.

Bengalsrule

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 20, 2016, 04:46:41 PM

Thanks!

Good points made throughout!  I know a head coach in western ny who dreads the "pick up" or as he calls them " rec ball" basketball games.   Talented young men mixing it up in the gym with, on some cases, other kids who could do good ball players more harm than good.  Not to mention the "no defense" aspect of rec ball. Rec ball can create horrible tendencies in kids who know better but have no one correcting them.

And campus security, can sometimes assume that a kid is on the basketball team, just because of his size. Fortunately, at at least 1 d3 school in buffalo, most of campus security know the coach who has worked on the campus for nearly 35 years.  Woe be the coach who doesn't have that kind of relationship with campus security.  Every kid who fits a certain "type" could be associated with hoops just because he plans on going out for the team or has attended a basketball "interest" meeting!