FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Taff

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 05, 2018, 11:06:28 AM
Quote from: DFWCrufan on December 05, 2018, 09:39:02 AM
For Warhawk fans who are looking to pre game... your crew are going to meet up at The Gin in Belton for a pregame...https://twitter.com/WarhawkFootball/status/1070035456824406016

The Gin... http://theginatnolancreek.com/history/
Belton and Bell County are in the Texas geographical area called the Blackland Prairie. This strip of land runs roughly along the east side of I-35 from San Antonio north to the Sherman (think Austin College)-Denison area.

Between 1900-1920, more cotton was raised in this area than anywhere else in the world.  Dallas was built on cotton money, (think Cotton Bowl), the brokering and trading of cotton.  In fact, Dallas County Texas was one of the Top 10 cotton growing counties in Texas into the 1950's.

Hence, the importance of cotton gins.  Enjoy!
strangely quiet on here.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: Toby Taff on December 06, 2018, 10:08:45 AM
strangely quiet on here.

We're a little different than SJU posters.   ;)

We don't feel the need to diminish your regular accomplishments by making fun of you guys beating HSU. Or try to persuade you that you're not as good as you think you are. We know what MHB is capable of and that UWW will be the underdogs. UWW has to earn their way back to being a top tier team. As of right now they're behind MHB and Mount in my mind.

Toby Taff

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on December 06, 2018, 10:14:39 AM
strangely quiet on here.

We don't feel the need to diminish your regular accomplishments by making fun of you guys beating HSU. Or try to persuade you that you're not as good as you think you are. We know what MHB is capable of and that UWW will be the underdogs. UWW has to earn their way back to being a top tier team. As of right now they're behind MHB and Mount in my mind.
yeah, I don't think I've ever has a discussion with a Warhawk troll. I was actually referring to our regular posters not being on here much either. They're on twitter, just not here as much.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

retagent

Yet you just, by proxy, diminished SJU - and it's posters. I think the Johnnies overperformed the expectations of many (UWW posters included) who were predicting at least a 2 score differential. So there!!  ::)

emma17

In the video clips and articles I've read it's been interesting to see Coach Pete's emphasis on the importance of the passing game Saturday. He's really talking up the talent of the receiving Corp. I don't question their talent at all but do wonder if there is some smoke screen to this.
I'm sure most of us UWW fans are wondering how UWW will fare against so much talent in the passing game.

wally_wabash

Quote from: emma17 on December 06, 2018, 10:53:31 AM
In the video clips and articles I've read it's been interesting to see Coach Pete's emphasis on the importance of the passing game Saturday. He's really talking up the talent of the receiving Corp. I don't question their talent at all but do wonder if there is some smoke screen to this.
I'm sure most of us UWW fans are wondering how UWW will fare against so much talent in the passing game.

As I'm trying to figure out how I want to pick this game, I don't know what to do with UMHB's pass game.  I think they have gobs of talent there, but I can't help but feel like the pass game is....unrefined?  Is there much more to it than chuck it deep to Josey/Reed/Miller when it's 3rd and long?  That was enough to squeak past St. John's last weekend- which is no small thing.  I believe SaintsFan somewhere pointed this out as well.  Those plays that carried the day last week weren't necessarily available to the Crusaders last year.  I'll be curious this weekend to see if 1) UWW can force UMHB into those kinds of bail out situations and 2) if UWW has the dudes to not allow UMHB to bail themselves out the way they did last week. 

I don't know the answer, but I think that's the whole deal this weekend.  UWW can limit Markeith Miller enough to make UMHB have to get something from Hammack and the WRs.  Can they do it again? 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

02 Warhawk

Quote from: Toby Taff on December 06, 2018, 10:19:45 AM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on December 06, 2018, 10:14:39 AM
strangely quiet on here.

yeah, I don't think I've ever has a discussion with a Warhawk troll. I was actually referring to our regular posters not being on here much either. They're on twitter, just not here as much.

Yeah, it has been really quiet on both boards. I think we both respect each other given our playoff history. It should be a tough game for UWW. They will need a near perfect performance in my opinion to pull this one off.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: wally_wabash on December 06, 2018, 11:05:10 AM

As I'm trying to figure out how I want to pick this game, I don't know what to do with UMHB's pass game.  I think they have gobs of talent there, but I can't help but feel like the pass game is....unrefined? Is there much more to it than chuck it deep to Josey/Reed/Miller when it's 3rd and long?  That was enough to squeak past St. John's last weekend- which is no small thing.  I believe SaintsFan somewhere pointed this out as well.  Those plays that carried the day last week weren't necessarily available to the Crusaders last year.  I'll be curious this weekend to see if 1) UWW can force UMHB into those kinds of bail out situations and 2) if UWW has the dudes to not allow UMHB to bail themselves out the way they did last week. 

I don't know the answer, but I think that's the whole deal this weekend.  UWW can limit Markeith Miller enough to make UMHB have to get something from Hammack and the WRs.  Can they do it again?

I'm sure the 15-25 MPH winds aren't going to help either team's passing game as this Saturday.

crufootball

I don't think its a smoke screen, rather an admissions that UWW has historically bottled up our rushing attack to near season lows before and they appear to be able to do it again. Also I think it highlights where we think we may have an advantage, which is speed at the outside. I get the sense that people have grown tired of Cru fans talking about how fast we are but it truly feels different this year. We have always had great athletes but this year with guys like Miller and Sims we can easily get behind most defenses. The question is, can our o-line give Jace enough time to let the routes develop and/or can the UWW DBs keep up better than others.

albatross

Hendrix Offensive Coordinator (and former Hardin Simmons great) is going to be announced as the new McMurry head coach today. He's an Abilene native and will look to build a program back up much like he helped Buck Buchanan do at Hendrix.

Also helped marshal one of the best offenses in college football for the past 6 years. Wishing him all success and hoping for a smooth transition for his family!

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sports/former-cooper-qb-jordan-neal-to-be-next-mcmurry-coach/1641970161

Toby Taff

Quote from: albatross on December 06, 2018, 11:26:25 AM
Hendrix Offensive Coordinator (and former Hardin Simmons great) is going to be announced as the new McMurry head coach today. He's an Abilene native and will look to build a program back up much like he helped Buck Buchanan do at Hendrix.

Also helped marshal one of the best offenses in college football for the past 6 years. Wishing him all success and hoping for a smooth transition for his family!

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sports/former-cooper-qb-jordan-neal-to-be-next-mcmurry-coach/1641970161
This makes me very happy. Love me some Jordan Neal. I've missed him since he moved to Arkansas. i tried to convince him to apply for the Cru OC position when it was open.  It will be interesting to see how he recruits to McM. He's an Abilene Cooper & HSU Graduate with lots of ties to this area. He has spent time at Hendrix, HPU, and TLU so he has more ties to areas than just this one from which to recruit. He's one of the Last QB's from HSU to beat the Cru (I tried to get him to pick the playoff game and he politely declined). Him recruiting against Coach Burleson at HSU will be intersting also.

So if you have your ASC scorecard out You have the Fredenberg Coaching tree with UMHB and HPU on it, and the Keeling Coaching tree with Burleson and now Jordan Neal on it. Growing that talent local!

Pat Coleman

Really excited to see what Jordan Neal can do there. I've followed him fairly closely at Hendrix.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

albatross

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 06, 2018, 12:10:41 PM
Really excited to see what Jordan Neal can do there. I've followed him fairly closely at Hendrix.

Same here, Pat -- I played for him!

Pat Coleman

I just love when student-athletes we covered become head coaches!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Toby Taff

Quote from: albatross on December 06, 2018, 12:20:28 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 06, 2018, 12:10:41 PM

Same here, Pat -- I played for him!
HSU allows seniors to take 1 graduate class concurrently with enrollment. When Jordan was senior at HSU he was taking a graduate class I was in, and he knew I was a big UMHB fan. We talked about it frequently. I even bought a few fundraising t-shirts the Cowboy Football team was selling for the UMHB-HSU game. That season, Jordan was tackled during the LC game and broke his collar bone. Out for the season, but early enough he was able to get another year of eligibity due to medical hardship. The first night of class after the tackle I was sitting at my desk before class and jordan walked up behind me and put the xray in front of my face. His collar bone looked like a Z with two hinges that should not have been there. It sucked that it happened his senior year, but i was glad he got the year of eligibility back. I loved watching him play (and I loved watching him run from the UMHB defense  ;D).