MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(509)Rat

Whitworth blew a chance to put em away, but I think this is all they really needed. They've got some tape on themselves playing better than Whitman and hopefully the confidence that goes along with it.

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 25, 2017, 11:59:48 PM
Whitworth blew a chance to put em away, but I think this is all they really needed. They've got some tape on themselves playing better than Whitman and hopefully the confidence that goes along with it.

Whitman wins in OT. Great game. Whitworth was up 10 with something like 5 minutes left and couldn't put them away. Some bad TO's killed WW down the stretch. Credit to Whitman's pressure for that--though that was a quick 5-second count on Love. Other than a trophy, this game was meaningless. No doubt WW travels to W2 next weekend.

Pinecone_Curtain

Another underwhelming NCAA tournament for Whitworth. Love and Jurlina are so good, it's too bad they could never make a deep run in the tournament during their time at WW. A combination of bad luck (the waived off Love 3-pointer), poor free throw shooting...I think Roach missed 4/5 down the stretch, poor shot selection (what was Isaak doing shooting that corner 3?), and 3 straight offensive foul calls did the Bucs in. The 1-3-1 defense was really working for a while in the 2nd half, but they went away from it for a while and CMS pulled away.

I suppose the good news for WW is that Ben Nick and Ben College look like college-ready players. Those two plus a return of Roach means the 2017-18 Pirates will be a tough out. It's easy to second guess now, but it was pretty clear by the end of the season that Nick had probably equalled or surpassed Sears, and College had really overtaken Isaak, yet the older guys continued to get more minutes. The NWC looks like Whitman's for the foreseeable future. Good luck to the Missiona...uh, Blues the rest of the tournament.

(509)Rat

Whtworth gets an upgrade next year by way of subtraction. Sears and Isaak won't be missed. That game was representative of Whitworths season on the whole. Stretches of bad defense, poor shot selection, dumb turnovers, with consistent flashes of brilliance and potential (never lasting long enough to win big games). One or two good transfers will be needed to hang with Whitman next year. Whitman got a bracket that sets them up to go far, hopefully they get to Salem and represent the NWC well.

A Buc Forever

Painful enough to lose in the first round to a SCIAC team, but to get beat by a team with a hipster point guard with a lumber-sexual beard completely blows.

(509)Rat

Whitman makes it to the elite 8 and doesn't have to play the home team from OH on their own court tomorrow (Whitworth fans know what I'm talking about). Not sure if Rochester or Marietta would have been a better matchup for Whitman, but the chips continue to fall right for the Blues to make a trip to the national championship game.

A Buc Forever

Congrats to Whitman!!!  Awesome job getting to the final 4.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: A Buc Forever on March 11, 2017, 11:53:03 PM
Congrats to Whitman!!!  Awesome job getting to the final 4.
Win it all for all of the geographic orphans!

D O.C.

To quote Mick, "Keith gots the Blues."

(509)Rat

Didn't watch, just scrolled through updates on twitter. Sounds like Whitman controlled most of the game but a couple huge Babson runs was enough. Whitman doesn't lose anyone and I'm not sure Logie can keep up with Bridgeland on the recruiting trail. Anything less than breaking through to the title game next year will be a disappointment for the Blues. Bummer that they couldn't get it done but heck of a run and great representation for the NWC.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: (509)Rat on March 18, 2017, 11:12:52 AM
Didn't watch, just scrolled through updates on twitter. Sounds like Whitman controlled most of the game but a couple huge Babson runs was enough. Whitman doesn't lose anyone and I'm not sure Logie can keep up with Bridgeland on the recruiting trail. Anything less than breaking through to the title game next year will be a disappointment for the Blues. Bummer that they couldn't get it done but heck of a run and great representation for the NWC.

It was insane.  Babsons started the game 6-10 and found themselves down 13 because Whitman was shooting 80% and out-hustling the Beavers.  Babson made a switch on how they were defending Howell and Flannery started to find his opening and Babson closed it down.  Whitman came back from down 13 in the second half to within three, but the real difference was Babson's Charlie Rice.  He missed most of the first half with foul trouble, but he got a double-double in the second half alone - 13 and 10 - that physicality spurred the team to match Whitman's intensity and their superior offensive efficiency kept the lead.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I wouldn't say Whitman controlled most of the game. They controlled a lot of the first half and had some moments in the second half... and their style clearly allows them to have what seems like control - it is more like they just have an affect on the entire game. Babson controlled a lot of the second half, for example. It was a very good back-and-forth game... much like Rochester-Whitman was, but with a clearly different result.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

A Buc Forever

Great job by Whitman to get a NWC to the DIII final four. They will be even better next year.  WW loses some great players, but hopefully some of the younger players will step up. Looking forward to next year.  NWC basketball is a lot of fun to follow.

Noticed the Babson Beavers have copied the Oregon State logo--just in green. Weird to see an OSU logo in UO colors.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

You think the OSU logo:

Is the exact same as Babson's?:

I think there are similarities, but I don't think they are exactly the same by any measure. I would be able to figure out which is which without much trouble.

If you want to compare logos... and names... and mascots... Augustana (Ill.) vs. Augustana (ND). Same name, mascot, colors, and nearly the same logo... one of them (not sure which) at least switched the direction of the mascot face to differentiate.

Augustana (Ill.):
Augustana (ND):
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.