Bumblin' B's

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 03, 2005, 10:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njlincolnlion

BJ:

I think you meant you meant the character "Roscoe P. Coltrane" who was "Boss Hogg's Bumblin sidekick.
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, '30

17 NCAA DIII Championships

Hoops Fan

Hey good use connecting Bumblin sidekick Roscoe P Coltrane to the Bumblin B's room.

Maybe from now on we can refer to them as the Roscoe's.

As in, "Man it seems Maryville is easily the best Roscoe in the country this year."

njlincolnlion

Hoops Fan:

We may be on to something here.  Hopefully Lincoln can move away from the Roscoe's and align with a conference.  I'll be glad to leave the Roscoe's to Maryville, Bethany, et al.
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

Gegegegegegegegegegege, we gonna git them Duke boys now boss, hang onta your hat flash.

taliban5

If Lincoln joins a conference, do all programs participate in that conference? The conferences around our area are terrible in track and I prefer competing against Division 1 athletes.

Ralph Turner

Taliban5, as you probably know, Track and Field national qualifications are different.  Lincoln may dominate a conference (as McMurry has dominated the ASC), but those athletes (and I assume you are a T&F athlete) are looking at http://www.raceberryjam.com/indexid.html">nationals.

McMurry's indoor and outdoor schedules include frequent meets at Texas Tech and at the Texas Relays.  I am sure the Lincoln athletes would still go the Penn Relays and others.  Times and distances translate across NCAA Divisions.http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>  (McMurry's national champion triple jumper Darcell Edwards competed in the 2004 Women's Olympic Trials.)

I hope that Lincoln can find a conference.http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

njlincolnlion

Taliban5 & Ralph:

I understand Lincoln's junior Eric Ray (the defending NCAA DIII indoor Long Jump Champion)was originally recruited by George Washington University for Basketball and plans to play for the 2005-06 Lions Basketball team.

I hope Lincoln aligns with a conference.  I think overall it would be better for the university.

By the way Taliban5, I thought one of Lincoln's former sprinters (from Pittsburgh) tried out for the US Olympic team for Athens.
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      

Ralph Turner

Thomas More to the http://www.d3football.com/">Pres AC looks like the move of one bid from Pool B to Pool A.  The Bumblers continue to dwindle!http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

My guess is that they move in 2006-07 and the NCAA smiles upon the the move, altho' I would not complain if they could get a full schedule in basketball done in 2005-06.

Ralph Turner

Pool B is different in other sports.

Linfield won the Stagg Bowl as a Pool B.  Chapman is going to the D3 World Series from the West Region as a Pool B.

Mary Washington and Salisbury were fighting it out as Pool B's in baseball as well.  Will follow this.

njlincolnlion

Hey Ralph:

I see what you meant with Lincoln's "mileage plus" program this year.  I have to wonder what Coach Yuille was taking  ???  to come up with such an ambitious schedule and with so many games away.  Yuille really did shy away from the tough guys.  I guess he really wants to get the program some attention.  I'm glad his has three starters returning led by All American Kyle Myrick, as he will need the supporting group to step it up.

At least with them travelling, I'll get to see them more in person. I see them again at Lehman, where I saw them win at last season.  Additionally I get the to see them at John Jay and the tournament at Manhattenville  :).

Can't wait for them to roll out the balls!

Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      

Ralph Turner

The anticipated return to Pool B by the Northern Illinois-Iowa conference is bad news for Pool B.  Rockford and Aurora could pick off the first 2 slots, if they repeat their 2002-03 performances.

That puts incredible pressure on the Pres AC teams and maybe even Maryville, if they get some pressure from their GSAC foes or Lincoln improves or someone in the NEAC runs ahead of the pack!

This is the state of Pool B for a couple of years.  The Pres AC will likely move to Pool A in 2007-08.  The NEAC will likely be there that year, too.  Depending on the way the Lake Michigan-NIIC realignment goes, the NIIC teams will be re-distributed to the SLAIC (Eureka)  and the new conference (with the possible exception of Clarke as we have heard) in the next 2-3 years.  By 2009, Pool B will be the GSAC 5 plus a few scattered independents.  The AQs, especially in basketball, seems to be driving conference formation and consolidation. :)

wilburt

Dr. Turner help me understand this new tourney format.

If the NCAA ratio is still 6.5 schools per 1 tourney bid, then why are there only 4 Pool B bids this season for (by my count) 41 Pool B eligible schools? 

I understand the Pool C schools getting screwed, but they have at least one shot at the tourney with their conference automatic bid, and possible two with a Pool C bid, whereas the Pool B teams only have one shot at the tourney.

Can you clarify for me my good friend?  BTW, Fisk has all of their starters returning from last season...  Wm Burton
Fisk University: Founded by Missionaries, Saved by Students.

Six time SIAC Football Champions 1913, 1915, 1919, 1923, 1973 and 1975.

Six NFL draft picks and one Pro Bowler!

Pat Coleman

The automatic bids are on a ratio of one to every 9.22 schools, based on the number of teams in automatic-bid conferences and the bids available. You'll note that's similar to the 4-to-41 ratio, which is not an accident.

Then both those leftovers and the B leftovers have an equal shot at the Pool C bids.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The 6.5 is the NCAA fallback number.  I think they really could care less how the bids are divided up.  37 conferences qualify, so that establishes a 9.22 (I figured 9.24, but I'll defer to Pat; it makes no difference to the numbers either way) ratio, which only gives the B's 4 bids.  However, as Pat also mentioned, the extra pool B's are thrown into Pool C, which, with the expanded Pool C, actually might make one or two of them competitive.  Certainly 18 Pool C bids last year would have produced at least one from Pool B.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

njlincolnlion

Hoops Fan:

Glad to see on the board.  I hope the Lincoln Lions pick up from where they left off last year (with the obvious exception of the two losses in post seasons tournaments).  Lincoln blew it (NCAA tourney) with the two losses to NJCU
:(  . 

As Ralph pointed out the Lions will be travelling alot this year.

Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29