All Americans

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), March 01, 2006, 10:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Anyone know where I can get the list of Academic All-Americans?  I know CoSIDA will post them on the website and they have the women's up already.  The men's list should be posted today, but some people have it already.  Any leads as to where I can find it?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

David Collinge

I found it at Illinois Wesleyan's website.

Here's the list, copied from there, with D3 players in bold.

Quote2006 ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America®
College Division Men's Basketball Team

FIRST TEAM
Keelan Amelianovich, Illinois Wesleyan, Sr., Naperville, Ill., 3.82, Accounting
Dusty Jura, Nebraska-Kearney, Jr., Columbus, Neb., 3.93, Sports Administration
Zach Wheatley, Chapman (Calif.), Sr., Fountain Valley, Calif., 3.97, Mathematics
Andrew St. Clair, Colby-Sawyer College, Sr., Pittsfield, Maine, 3.68, Exercise and Sports Science
Matt Drahos, Bethany (W.Va.), Sr., Wheeling, W.Va., 3.51, Biology

SECOND TEAM
Jason Greenlee, LaVerne (Calif.), Sr., San Dimas, 3.89, Accounting
Troy Ruths, Washington U., So., Sugar Land, Texas, 4.0, Computer Science
Matt Causey, North Georgia College & State University, Jr., Gainesville, Ga., 3.75, Biology
Andy Warnock, Ohio Wesleyan, Sr., Delaware, Ohio, 3.93, Economics Management
Mike Drahos, Bethany (W.Va.), Sr., Wheeling, W.Va., 3.65, Psychology

THIRD TEAM
Chris Braier, Lawrence, Sr., Wauwatosa, Wis., 3.56, Biology
Brandon Bushey, York (Pa.), Sr., Littlestown, Pa., 3.89, Criminal Justice
Alan Bock. Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Sr., Tallmadge, Ohio, 3.99, Biology (Pre-Medicine)
Clayton Barlow-Wilcox, Carnegie-Mellon, Sr., Brookline, Mass., 3.65, Business Administration and Social and Cultural History
Mike D'Auria, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Sr., Newton, Mass., 3.49, Materials Science and Engineering

Congratulations to all of these outstanding student-athletes, and especially to Mr. & Mrs. Drahos!  :)

diehardfan

It should probably be noted that Keelan Amelianovich was picked as the "Academic All American of the Year"  :)
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

Pat Coleman

Note that even though this team covers D-II, D-III and NAIA, 12 of the 15 honorees are from Division III.

I love this game.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 01, 2006, 05:27:43 PM
Note that even though this team covers D-II, D-III and NAIA, 12 of the 15 honorees are from Division III.

But of course, Pat - it is Academic All-American! ;D

[Just a cheap joke, guys!  While I suspect that the 'average' d3 school is rather superior to the average in the other 3 divisions, there are some fine schools in d2 and both divisions of NAIA (and probably some d3 schools my dog could get into).]

woosterbooster

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 01, 2006, 05:36:56 PM...and probably some d3 schools my dog could get into.]

Which brings us, ahem, to SUNY Farmingdale.  I was just talking to a Long Island friend today who told me that they are just a few years away (in the past) from being a powerhouse junior college program. He predicted that in the not too distant future they'll be one of the tougher DIII teams nationally.

smedindy

Yes, but at least your dog will have a degree!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: smedindy on March 01, 2006, 07:55:27 PM

I'm just worried I'll get stuck with the student loans.  (I'm not certain that her paw-print is a legally-binding signature.)  David, did the California bar exam touch on such issues? ;D

Knightstalker

Quote from: Wooster Booster on March 01, 2006, 06:08:36 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 01, 2006, 05:36:56 PM...and probably some d3 schools my dog could get into.]

Which brings us, ahem, to SUNY Farmingdale.  I was just talking to a Long Island friend today who told me that they are just a few years away (in the past) from being a powerhouse junior college program. He predicted that in the not too distant future they'll be one of the tougher DIII teams nationally.

Actually SUNY Farmingdale was an academically top rated junior college with fairly strict admissions standards and requirements.  They had and still have one of the best Horticulture departments in the country.  I know these facts as my fathers uncle was the chair of the Horticulture department and was a professor emeritus until he died.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

David Collinge

Quote from: smedindy on March 01, 2006, 07:55:27 PM

Yes, a pe-degree. ::) ;D

devossed

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It looks like you just got hit with west coast chapter of the NRO.

Really cool to see four d3 guys on the first team, and props to Keelan for getting the top nod, especially since Dusty Jura is a really, really, really good ballplayer.

We always say, I'm sure there are some fine academic institutions in other divisions, and of course there are some decent ones, but d3 does have basically the premier academic schools in the country and quite a monopoly on them.  Outside the Ivy and maybe some of the grad schools in the D1 power conferences, the best academics are in d3.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

And thanks for finally answering my questions, guys.  It's good to see the list, especially when cosida still hasn't posted it on their website.

Mr. Ypsi

To introduce a 'serious' question: I notice that all but 6 of the 25 d3hoops AAs are seniors, which leaves next year WIDE open.  Anyone want to hazard some VERY early nominations?

I'd say, barring disastrous years, that Ton Ton Balenga (G, Va Wes) and Zach Freeman (C, Ill Wes) are virtual locks to make some level of AA team.

Other veritable locks among underclassmen?  (One I forgot would be Caleb Veenstra at Calvin - hope I remembered all that correctly.) [I don't know how to leave a post to check info without losing the post - help, anyone?]

Titan Q

The CCIW probably has two legitmate 2006-07 preseason All-American candidates, both big guys - 6-6 Anthony Simmons of North Central (18.5 ppg, 6.6 rpg, .559 FG) and 6-7 Zach Freeman of Illinois Wesleyan (16.2 ppg, 7.6 rpg, .599 FG).  Freeman had a tremendous finish to the season.  As I posted on CCIW Chat...

Zach really turned the corner late this season.  All of that scary athletic ability and talent finally came together in IWU's final 8 games...

vs Augustana: 19 pts, 4 reb (8-10 FG)
vs North Central: 17 pts, 6 reb (7-12 FG)
vs Carroll: 29 pts, 10 reb (13-19 FG)
vs UW-Whitewater: 11 pts, 7 reb (3-5 FG)
vs Lawrence: 21 pts, 12 reb (7-9)
vs Puget Sound: 19 pts, 10 reb (8-13)
vs Virginia Wesleyan: 27 pts, 7 reb (13-16 FG)
vs Amherst: 19 pts, 7 reb (7-9 FG)

An average of 20.3 pts, 8.4 reb, and FG % of .710 (66-93)...and all 8 games were on the road, in very tough environments.

IWU will have one of the best big guys, and one of the best overall players, in Division III next year.  Zach Freeman will be one heck of a building block for the 2006-07 Titans.