BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

It's more likely it would be at McMurry than McMurray.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

And I doubt they would make a decision based on weather reports. How reliable are they again?
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: canpickit on May 11, 2007, 09:14:45 PM
I have been reading and listening to opinions on where the West Regional is going to be played the last couple of days.  With it looking more and more likely that 3 Texas teams are going to get in (TLU, UTD and Austin), I'd say there is at least a 75% chance the regionals will be held at McMurray.  My only feeling is that after looking at the 10 day weather report for Abilene, it looks like rain, thundershowers and more rain non-stop.  I think it would be an ultimate travesty if the regional was in Texas and teams and games were affected by the weather.  I know Chapman has hosted the regionals the last 4 years, but they do a good job running them, the weather is going be perfect (blue skies and high 80's temps), the field is gorgeous, there is plenty of lodging and the school and administration know how to run the thing like the back of their hand.  I think in a year where Chapman will be the #1 seed and weather could be a factor, playing the games in CA makes the most sense.  Also, I think if George Fox makes it, that might play into the picture and the fact maybe Austin gets shipped to the South region if only Millsaps OR Rhodes gets a Pool C.  I don't know, all I do know is that it would be brutal if a West Region team started their ace in a game, and he went 4 and then it started pouring and it altered everything and they couldn't bring that guy back, I think it would affect all 6 or 7 teams drastically.  Anyways, McMurray's stadium is legit and a great place to play, I just think more attention should be paid to weather, who the #1 seed is and logisitics.  I think money is a huge factor as always.  Any thoughts on if weather or Fox or 6 vs 7 team regional will affect location?

Honestly the weather isn't something I've thought much about, but it does look like the weather gets pretty gross after Wednesday in Abilene.  That said, I just don't know that it is a viable reason to have the regional at Hart Park again. IF three Texas teams get in I would like to see the regional in McMurry. We can argue the logistics of it all we want, but my favorite part about it being a neutral site would be that ALL of the teams will be on the road. I would think that it would be advantageous to be playing at your home park where you have all of your fans and you're able to go home and get a good nights sleep in your own bed instead of crashing in a hotel room with 3 other guys.

The facilities at McMurry are certainly nicer than they are at Hart Park.

Money is obviously one of the primary factors the NCAA is going to look at.

The thing is IF I was a Chapman player I would want the opportunity to say, "Look, everyone has said that we get such an advantage playing at our home park.  Well this is how talented our team is, (i.e Drag, Kitchens, Yacko, Cavan, Dean, etc.) and we can win wherever we go."  I would want the chance to prove people wrong and get rid of that stigma surrounding that advantage the last few years. IF I was a probable starting pitcher in this thing  ;)  I would take greater pleasure in getting a big dub on the road, but that's just me.

Some_Guy

historymajor

Dallas seems more likely to me....  1 hr for Austin, 4 hrs for TLU and everyone else gets a cheap direct flight to DFW or Love...  Abilene is a connecting flight from anywhere.

canpickit

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on May 11, 2007, 09:39:45 PM
Quote from: canpickit on May 11, 2007, 09:14:45 PM
I have been reading and listening to opinions on where the West Regional is going to be played the last couple of days.  With it looking more and more likely that 3 Texas teams are going to get in (TLU, UTD and Austin), I'd say there is at least a 75% chance the regionals will be held at McMurray.  My only feeling is that after looking at the 10 day weather report for Abilene, it looks like rain, thundershowers and more rain non-stop.  I think it would be an ultimate travesty if the regional was in Texas and teams and games were affected by the weather.  I know Chapman has hosted the regionals the last 4 years, but they do a good job running them, the weather is going be perfect (blue skies and high 80's temps), the field is gorgeous, there is plenty of lodging and the school and administration know how to run the thing like the back of their hand.  I think in a year where Chapman will be the #1 seed and weather could be a factor, playing the games in CA makes the most sense.  Also, I think if George Fox makes it, that might play into the picture and the fact maybe Austin gets shipped to the South region if only Millsaps OR Rhodes gets a Pool C.  I don't know, all I do know is that it would be brutal if a West Region team started their ace in a game, and he went 4 and then it started pouring and it altered everything and they couldn't bring that guy back, I think it would affect all 6 or 7 teams drastically.  Anyways, McMurray's stadium is legit and a great place to play, I just think more attention should be paid to weather, who the #1 seed is and logisitics.  I think money is a huge factor as always.  Any thoughts on if weather or Fox or 6 vs 7 team regional will affect location?

Honestly the weather isn't something I've thought much about, but it does look like the weather gets pretty gross after Wednesday in Abilene.  That said, I just don't know that it is a viable reason to have the regional at Hart Park again. IF three Texas teams get in I would like to see the regional in McMurry. We can argue the logistics of it all we want, but my favorite part about it being a neutral site would be that ALL of the teams will be on the road. I would think that it would be advantageous to be playing at your home park where you have all of your fans and you're able to go home and get a good nights sleep in your own bed instead of crashing in a hotel room with 3 other guys.

The facilities at McMurry are certainly nicer than they are at Hart Park.

Money is obviously one of the primary factors the NCAA is going to look at.

The thing is IF I was a Chapman player I would want the opportunity to say, "Look, everyone has said that we get such an advantage playing at our home park.  Well this is how talented our team is, (i.e Drag, Kitchens, Yacko, Cavan, Dean, etc.) and we can win wherever we go."  I would want the chance to prove people wrong and get rid of that stigma surrounding that advantage the last few years. IF I was a probable starting pitcher in this thing  ;)  I would take greater pleasure in getting a big dub on the road, but that's just me.

Some_Guy

Thanks for giving me your thoughts on my post about the weather and if any attention is paid to it.  I am not saying that I/We do not want to travel to Texas, I was just throwing out another idea/thought for people to consider.  I mean, you tell me how great it would be waiting around 4 hours to play a delayed game or start a game and then have to resume it later.  Trust me, I have been there done that numerous times in Appleton (see 2005 World Series).  Also, I really believe Hart Park is a better playing surface, I will say McMurry has a sweet stadium, but as far as playing surface, Hart Park is way better.  Shoot, the Angels used it as a practice facility when they hosted the WBC last spring.  About your comment about winning on the road and proving people wrong, I will say that we are ready for such, but maybe because I am new to this board I am foreign to the "Chapman has a huge advantage" talk that goes on according to you.  If that is the case, if people believe we have a monstrous advantage playing at home and that is why we have been in 3 of the last 4 World Series', then get our team on the next plane to Texas so it is a completely neutral site and even playing field.  All I was doing was throwing out a concern that should be paid attention to, I was not saying we are bitter if we don't host or anything like that.  Shoot, I would love staying in a hotel, bonding with the guys even more, meal money, flying, win on the road, all the stuff that will go on. 

Spence

Weather can always be a factor, or have you not heard of California winds, wildfires and mudslides? Let alone smog.

Weather is a terrible reason to decide where to host a regional. None of the people on the committee are weather forecasters.

If it makes the most sense for it to be in Texas, then it should be in Texas whether the temps are 85 or 100. For that matter, I don't think it's really fair that Chapman hosts it every year long after that ship has sailed in pretty much every other regional.

baseballroxmysox

Question: if McMurry hosts, does the NCAA fly all teams(except the three possible Texas teams) directly into Albilene?  Or would they fly them into Dallas and make them drive the 150 miles?? Will the NCAA put the 3 Texas teams into a hotel or are any of them close enough to make the daily commute?

And I believe that the weather should be a contributing factor to where they are held.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Spence on May 12, 2007, 01:40:28 PM
Weather can always be a factor, or have you not heard of California winds, wildfires and mudslides? Let alone smog.

Weather is a terrible reason to decide where to host a regional. None of the people on the committee are weather forecasters.

If it makes the most sense for it to be in Texas, then it should be in Texas whether the temps are 85 or 100. For that matter, I don't think it's really fair that Chapman hosts it every year long after that ship has sailed in pretty much every other regional.

I agree with Spence (shocking... I know). Weather will be the same for each team in each game. It should not be a factor in the decision. So Cal is full of wildfires right now. In fact, I could actually see two different fires from my classroom this week, which is not too far from Chapman.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Bob Maxwell

Since you are all talking about where a tournament should be held, I want to ask if there is anything about holding the regional at a nuetral site.  Meaning not at a schools home field... but at a stadium in the area. 

Money is always a concern with NCAA regionals in all sports.  What does it cost to get the teams there, how much does the facility cost, what is the potential for revenues...

Just wondering if there is something that says it can or can't be on a teams home field?

Pat Coleman

If I recall correctly, there's a provision for up to five neutral site regionals. There will probably be one up your way.

I'm not sure I follow -- are you saying that McMurry's campus stadium should not be considered? It's a campus stadium but McMurry is not going to be in the playoffs.

Spence

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 11, 2007, 09:27:42 PM
And I doubt they would make a decision based on weather reports. How reliable are they again?

Hey now :)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: baseballroxmysox on May 12, 2007, 04:25:46 PM
Question: if McMurry hosts, does the NCAA fly all teams(except the three possible Texas teams) directly into Albilene?  Or would they fly them into Dallas and make them drive the 150 miles?? Will the NCAA put the 3 Texas teams into a hotel or are any of them close enough to make the daily commute?

And I believe that the weather should be a contributing factor to where they are held.
Abilene can easily handle the tourney.  They host tourneys for high school kids all of the time and even have enough hotel rooms for ACU, HSU and McMurry to have Homecoming on the same weekend.

Abilene Regional Airport gets flights from Continental Express and American Eagle out of DFW and Houston Bush (IAH).

UT-Dallas is 200 miles away, Austin College 250 miles away and Texas Lutheran about 300 miles away, but all relatively close by Texas standards.  It would make a great neutral site.

None of the other 3 Texas venues have lights.  McMurry's Driggers Field is amongst the Top 20-30 ballparks in Division III, even though it is  a decade old by now.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Spence on May 12, 2007, 07:00:11 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 11, 2007, 09:27:42 PM

Hey now :)

Sorry -- but 10 days out like Chapman infielder was posting -- how reliable are they usually?

Serious question.

Spence

I'm just messing...heck weather people ourselves say we're the only people that get paid to be right half the time.

10 day forecasts for a specific time frame are damn near worthless IMO. You can make long term forecasts in a macro sense as to whether it's going to be hotter than normal or more active hurricanes than normal but obviously as we saw last year even those aren't anywhere near 100%.

I believe the GFS model starts modeling at 168 hours out. The North American models are shorter time frames. The GFS usually requires adjustment based on analysis and observation. Maybe it's moving something too slow or too fast or going overboard on something. Bottom line is it's not gospel at all. The shorter term products designed specifically for use in the United States are more accurate, though still far from perfect.

Long story short, you're right to be very skeptical of long-term forecasts. In the military, they're made and they're used, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be right. Plans are made based on the best forecast that can be made within the time frame required to make a given decision.

I don't think weather should be a factor for determining where a regional should be.

2X All-American

shouldn't there be an advantage of being the number 1 team in the region (ie - hosting the regional) aside from playing the lowest rank team in that regional? if chapman is rated number 1 in the west region, putting all the money, niceness of the fields, and weather factors aside, shouldn't they be awarded a home field advantage for achieving the number 1 ranking in the region? i thought redlands should have hosted the '06 regionals, because they were ranked number 1 in the region, yet they didnt have lights, so it was moved to their closest-to-home park with lights (chapman), other than la verne who has horrible lights. i understand the whole, "if there are 3 teams in texas go to texas" idea, but i still believe a #1 ranking in a region deserves some advantages.