BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAMBONE

Quote from: baseballfan24 on March 13, 2008, 12:57:24 PM
chill out ASC...all these comeback wins against marietta are gone produce some swollen heads!  I guess we'll have to leave it up to CTX to deflate those egos! 

Hambone,

There are certainly more quotes than this one where you emphatically support your beloved Tornadoes.  That is wonderful and fantastic that you love your school so much.  However, I don't see how it is necessary that you constantly belittle other programs to make yours appear the greatest.  Your so extremely biased that you can barely see it.  Even when you tried to compliment HPU you still insulted them.  I have noticed that you constantly try to put down TLU as well.  I don't recall anyone insulting Concordia last year when they did not make the playoffs.  I feel it is time to take you down a peg or two.

I did some research on the ASC website.  It appears that TLU has won the ASC west 6 out of 7 years that they have been in the ASC.  They have won the conference 3 times in a row (we all know that), and previous to this weekend had beaten your beloved Tornadoes nine times in a row.  Now we all know that your team was the only team in ASC history to make it to the World Series.  Congratulations that is an impressive feat.  I don't see you ever mentioning that you did not even beat TLU that season.  TLU won the series and they won the west.  Concordia was not even the best team in the conference that year.  You played in a regional in Texas and played Trinity (the best team that year) after their tragic event.  I am not discrediting the fact that you won so don't over react.  I am merely tired of you constantly putting down other teams as if Concordia has done something lately.  

Now all the facts are out there.  That 2002 team was good.  That is true and it can't be argued.  They had talent.  Now can you simply support your team without having to tear down other universities' playing abilities.  
[/quote]

Cry me a river guy....im sorry i made you shed some tears.

Blackcat00

Hambone im not sure this guy really follows baseball as well as i thought he did. Your observations on the 2002 season are so far off it makes your blind. But its stuff info like that on here that keeps me coming back. Keep it up CUA fan

Blackcat00

There is a plaque in our name that says conference champs and West side champs if you want to take a look.

CUAfan

What the heck did I say, Blackcat00? Other than that last post before this one, I haven't said a single thing about the 2002 season. If I did and I just can't remember it for some reason, feel free to quote it and I'll own up to it. Otherwise, leave me out of your self-gratification-fest. I'd rather talk about this season than the 2002 one.
Let's go 'Nados!

Bman3

yall sound like a bunch of bored women! did todays Soaps not go like yall wanted?

baseballfan24

Quote from: Blackcat00 on March 13, 2008, 02:44:36 PM
CUA fan? are you kidding. Just because you dont win your side of the conference? It most certainly is how you finish. TLU that year was on prevision because they still had guys that were on scholarship, Im taking it you didnt know that? Just like UT Tyler was this past year. SO does that mean TLU cant get any credit about going to the regionals after getting swept by UT TYLER that year. You guys are to nice on here and that makes it boring. Like I said  you have a role and it is a message board, If you dont like what your reading then dont read it, its not that hard of a task, everyone on here is entitled to their opinion. KNow your role!

Actually you are incorrect.  TLU was a provisional member to D3 because they moved over from NAIA/D2.  They did not have any players on scholarship in 2002.  They were provisional for the number years alotted by the conference as was Texas-Tyler who also did not have scholarships last year when they swept TLU.   

baseballfan24

Quote from: Blackcat00 on March 13, 2008, 03:01:21 PM
There is a plaque in our name that says conference champs and West side champs if you want to take a look.

Well your plaque is wrong.  You didn't win the west that season.

2002 ASC BASEBALL
East Division

Conference                                       Overall

W         L        T           Pct.              W         L         T           Pct.

Mississippi College +=   17      7      0      .708          29     14      0      .674

UT-Dallas                       13     10     0      .565          22     17      0      .564

Louisiana College *       12     12     0      .500          19     21      0      .475

East Texas Baptist +      11     13     0      .458          21     21      0      .500

LeTourneau Univ.           8      13     0      .381          14     26      0      .350

Univ. of the Ozarks        6      16     0      .273          11     27      0      .289

Austin College                4      17     0      .190           6      29      0      .176

West Division

Conference                                       Overall

W         L        T           Pct.              W         L         T           Pct.

Texas Lutheran =           22      5      0      .815          33      6       0      .846

Concordia-Austin #+%$ 20      7      0      .741          35     13      0      .729

Howard Payne +            19      7      0      .731          24     19      0      .558

McMurry                        15     12     0      .556          21     19      0      .529

Hardin-Simmons            12     12     0      .500          18     22      0      .450

Sul Ross State                11     11     0      .500          11     24      0      .314

Mary Hardin-Baylor       8      17     0      .320          13     24      0      .351

Schreiner                         4      23     0      .148           7      32      0      .179

# - ASC Tournament Champion   = - ASC Division Champion     + - ASC Tournament berth

% - NCAA-III West Regional Champion   $ - NCAA-III College World Series (7th tie)

* - NCCAA World Series participant

Notice the "=" sign next to Texas Lutheran.  That means ASC Division Champion.

indian4life

personally im down for trash talk on here just like a lot of other poeple here but we are not here to talk about the past.  This weekend is a great baseball weekend with McM and TLU  going at it and a very interesting UMHB-HSU series.  Does anyone have any predictions for how this weekend will go?

MCM Gangster

I will take HSU taking two of three from UMHB I think that HSU had a good week and are on a roll with their win over UT-Tyler....8-9 with Stepp and Pimpton hitting clutch bombs in the bottom of 8 with 2 outs. o ya!!!

indian4life

Quote from: indian4life on March 13, 2008, 11:37:47 PM
personally im down for trash talk on here just like a lot of other poeple here but we are not here to talk about the past.  This weekend is a great baseball weekend with McM and TLU  going at it and a very interesting UMHB-HSU series.  Does anyone have any predictions for how this weekend will go?

I will go with HSU 2 of 3 no comment on McM series but i hope for the best!

Ralph Turner

What is the minimum to make the tournament thru the first half of the season?

I think that the fourth place team goes at least 12-9 in the West.

I am looking at the overall records before last weekend's games.

I think that the fourth place team must win 7 of 9 from versus #6-#8.

I think that they must edge out the #5 team 2-1.  That gives a record of 9-3 versus the bottom four teams.

Against the top half of the division, they must go 3-6.  Getting swept versus a top team will be tough to make up at this point.

I personally think that UMHB dodged the big one versus SRSU's Jaime Rojo.

Last year, HSU went 13-7 for fourth.  CUA stayed home at 11-10 for fifth.
2007 ASC Baseball

Bman3

JSG,
we are going to find out if logan hull is a DESCENT #1, let alone your prediction as the best pitcher in the West. the youngster is going to have a tuff task pitching under the lights against a hot McMurry team. if he continues to throw as many pitches as he has been, and continues to work from behind in the count, McM might put up some big numbers. he has a quick fastball with moderate accuracy and a pretty good slider. thats it!! hit the first good fastball and lay off the slider, its pretty simple!!!!

HAMBONE

Quote from: Bman3 on March 14, 2008, 12:26:12 AM
JSG,
we are going to find out if logan hull is a DESCENT #1, let alone your prediction as the best pitcher in the West. the youngster is going to have a tuff task pitching under the lights against a hot McMurry team. if he continues to throw as many pitches as he has been, and continues to work from behind in the count, McM might put up some big numbers. he has a quick fastball with moderate accuracy and a pretty good slider. thats it!! hit the first good fastball and lay off the slider, its pretty simple!!!!

Bman3 they play @ 2pm @ TLU...no lights guy...but with as hot as the indians are right now i predict they will have him (Hull) off the mound by the end of the 3rd inning...its supposed to be somewhere around 90 degrees in Austin so we'll see what happens.  Should be a great series with TLU coming off a 2 0f 3 loss to CTX and also an attempt to save their conference record and MCM is hot but they have played a lot of games this week and are also on the road...if their arms hold up through this weekend I will have to agree with JSG on the depth of their pen.  Listen Live (link below).

http://www.tlu.edu/athletics/about_tlu_athletics/athletics_internet_broadcast_schedule

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Bman3 on March 14, 2008, 12:26:12 AM
JSG,

Just to make sure I'm not misquoted. Here's what I said...

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 10, 2008, 09:52:25 PM
3. I'd venture to say that Logan Hull is more than just a decent #1. He's only a sophomore and he's arguably the best pitcher in the ASC West. You can certainly make a case for some others, and Hull does work from behind and give up a few too many free passes, but holding a pretty solid CUA team to two hits typically supersedes decent.

Notice I said arguably and that you can certainly make a case for some others. I also alluded to the fact that he's a young guy and works from behind too much.

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to a conclusion based on one game either. I'm sure we've all had bad games right? Even in '01-'02 when you were 9-2, either you ran into someone that was better that particular day, didn't get run support, etc. All I'm saying is there are a number of factors that equate to wins and losses.

Hull is certainly capable of shutting down that high octane offense as evidenced by his efforts in the ASC Championship Game last year against what I would argue was possibly a BETTER offensive team with Cervantez and Hank Casey still around.

Let's evaluate it a little further. Because I was not careful enough to make the distinction that I meant starting pitchers, we'll go ahead and include any noteworthy relievers at this point. That said, I believe the assumption was that we were discussing rotation guys.

So here's a few worth mentioning in the West at this point in the season (and there's plenty of time for all of this to shake up):
Kyle Barton -- 0.00 ERA, 3-0, 19.2 IP, 6 BB, 18 Ks, .143 against
R.B. Garza -- 1.38 ERA, 3-1, 26.0 IP, 7 BB, 24 Ks, .198 against
Logan Hull -- 3.00 ERA, 4-1, 30.0 IP, 13 BB, 26 Ks, .219 against
Cody Curry -- 3.75 ERA, 3-0, 24.0 IP, 12 BB, 28 Ks, .239 against
Ben Whiteley -- 3.55 ERA, 3-1, 38.0 IP, 11 BB, 25 Ks, .274 against
Adam Garcia -- 3.31 ERA, 2-1. 35.1 IP, 18 BB, 28 Ks, .242 against
Kevin Jones -- 3.25 ERA, 1-2, 27.2 IP, 16 BB, 18 Ks, .257 against

I'd rank Barton (a bullpen guy thus far this season, who hitters don't get to see twice - though you can't argue with those numbers) and Garza (who honestly hasn't faced much competition other than the Ozarks) ahead of him at this point. Curry's been good, but didn't start starting until the Austin College series (because of a suspension as I understand it). Whiteley and Hull have probably faced the best competition and I perceive Hull's numbers to be better at this point in the season (plus I think Hull was a little better against CUA, than Whiteley was against TLU).

Also, the series is in Seguin so it won't be under any lights.

JSG

chance

Anybody know a pitcher in the ASC that held Chapman to 3 unearned runs in 7 innings an came out of the game in the 7th with a 6-3 lead