BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAMBONE

The CRU moved up a few spots in the polls today.  here is the link. 

http://www.umhb.edu/athletics/news/8043

Kudos to them for their continuing success during this 2008 season.  I am interested to see how bad they whoop that Stacked SAGU squad today.

fungoman

Hello everyone, I am a longtime reader, but a first time poster as you can see.

Just a few comments...Why in the world is everyone on here chatting up Concordia when they get back on track vs Sul Ross, but nothing is said after 2 losses to HPU?

Next....Why in the world are we not ever talking about the East? UT Tyler and Ozarks played the best series of the year last weekend, and all anyone wants to talk about is Concordia. The east may just be the better division, and they get no love? Where is it?

HAMBONE

Quote from: fungoman on March 25, 2008, 06:37:40 PM

Just a few comments...Why in the world is everyone on here chatting up Concordia when they get back on track vs Sul Ross, but nothing is said after 2 losses to HPU?

Next....Why in the world are we not ever talking about the East? UT Tyler and Ozarks played the best series of the year last weekend, and all anyone wants to talk about is Concordia. The east may just be the better division, and they get no love? Where is it?

Start loving on the east side then big guy....obviously concordia has some fans that post some biased threads on here, so if you would like to start a different conversation then stop reading and start participating.

Im pretty sure it was brought up that the CTX vs HPU was a circus of a series and i dont remember reading anyone saying anything Concordia getting back on track vs Sul Ross....I think they got back on track when they shutout and pumbled Southwestern the monday after 11-0.  If anyone got jocked for beating a SRSU team it was UMHB as they got hitter and pitcher of the week the weekend they swept the Lobos.

whos your team Fungoman?

Blackcat00

Talk up the East when they finally do something, as far as HPU give credit when credit is due. HPU is a football school, or they use to be.

fungoman

How do you figure 38-1 last year, and being a top 5 team in the nation this year is doing nothing?

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: fungoman on March 25, 2008, 06:37:40 PM

1.) For one, 4 of the 7-8 or so primary posters of late are Concordia alumni/fans (bman, CUAfan, Blackcat & Hambone). I suspect that's why there's been a lot of chatter about CUA, but they have some things worth chatting about. Tom Williams' season thus far? Justin Beasley's emergence and conference statistics so far? Maybe the fact that they're probably a playoff team this year after their absence last year?

2.) The West is still the stronger conference. It just is. The east started closing the gap a bit last year, after it had been years of Mississippi College and UT Dallas being the primary playoff contenders (with ETBU's strong season thrown in the mix, and now Tyler's emergence). Even now, I think only Tyler and Ozarks pose any threat to the teams in the West. Lousiana College and Mississippi College, in my honest opinion, would not make the playoffs in the West. That 5-1 LA College team that swept UT Dallas (they're really down this year), lost 2 out of 3 at home to a Texas Lutheran team that has been struggling all year.

You cannot argue with the success or the talent of that Tyler team last year. The one difference? *Hint* It's not Brett Amyx. The main difference is that they do not have near the depth in the bullpen that they had last year (and I made a post about that fairly recently). Those weekend guys have been phenomenal, but in a tournament structure they have to be a little worried about depth. Their lack of depth is evidenced by all the mid-week losses they've already suffered this year, including the one to Austin College tonight.

3.) If you're Clay Bakers' Dad, he's having a great season and should be commended for that.

JSG

HAMBONE

Quote from: fungoman on March 25, 2008, 10:48:41 PM
How do you figure 38-1 last year, and being a top 5 team in the nation this year is doing nothing?

Hey Fungoguy ... the west dominates the east every year.  Not to mention the East side has more state schools vs all the private schools in the West....keep in mind D3 has no athletic scholarships making it that much tougher for expensive private schools to recruit quality players. I guess Texas-Tyler is your team?  Here are the facts.

YEAR   ASC CHAMPION    REGIONAL PARTICIPANT           COLLEGE WORLD SERIES    
1997       HPU                                  N/A
1998     McMurry                          McMurry
1999      SRSU                               SRSU
2000        SU                                   N/A
2001    McMurry                    McMurry Univeristy
2002       CTX                        Concordia University              Concordia University
2003       MC                         Mississippi College
2004    McMurry                          McMurry
2005      TLU                                  TLU
2006      TLU                                  TLU  
2007      TLU                         TLU and UTD

I only see 2 East side schools listed on this list. MC and UTD.  University of Dallas would have dominated the east side and no doubt the ASC tournament but they went independent.  Now not to take anything away from UTT, UTD, UO, LC who are all having great years with some great ballplayers, but only 1 team can win the conference and with the exception of UTT there wont be any at large bids given to any other schools that dont win the conference.  

Oh yeah SADER22.....I do not believe I see UMHB anywhere near that list.

Ralph Turner

UMHB has made some substantial investments in their athletic programs, all across the board.

I will wager that UMHB wins a mythical Presidential trophy in 2008-09.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: HAMBONE on March 25, 2008, 11:26:31 PM
but only 1 team can win the conference and with the exception of UTT there wont be any at large bids given to any other schools that dont win the conference.  

I would be a little hesistant to rule the Ozarks completely out from an at large bid after the year they have been having, though their loss to Hendrix tonight and the fact that they have played a lot of South Region teams (Millsaps, Rhodes) in non-conference play as opposed to West Region teams might make that statement relatively true.

JSG

HAMBONE

Quote from: HAMBONE on March 25, 2008, 02:39:42 PM
Games Today:

SAGU @ UMHB in Belton, TX (2 p.m.)

Texas-Tyler @ Austin College in Sherman, TX (6 p.m.)

McMurry @ Trinity in San Antonio, TX (2 p.m.)

HSU @  Lubbock Christian in Lubbock, TX (6 p.m.)

Wiley College @ ETBU in Longview, TX (2 p.m.)

MC @ Rhodes in Memphis, TN (3 p.m.)

UO @ Hendrix in Conway, AR (6 p.m.)

#18 UMHB beat SAGU 20-10; I think their softball team could run-rule that bowl of Spaghetti.  Not a very strong weekday opponent this late in the season in my eyes.  I think an intrasquad hitters scrimmage would have benefitted  them more.  TLU normally starts the season off 10-0 with decieving wins against these NCCAA teams and multiple games against HT.  But everyone likes to pad their stats, so i guess this was actually a strategicly scheduled game.  Genius!  We will see how they defend themselves this weekend against those hungry TLU bulldogs searching for some identity in the race for the west.  If TLU can pull off 2 or 3 wins, we may have ourselves a downright dog-fight on our hands. 

Austin College beat #5 UTT 8-7; Joey Ziegler got the loss.  Tough loss for the patriots.  They've added a few digits to their loss column lately.  I guess they are beatable after all.  Good I can sleep now.

Trinity beat McMurry 9-8 scoring 7 runs in the 7th and 8th innings to take the win.  Looks like this could be a foreshadow of the McMurry's lack of pitching depth if they have to come through the losers bracket of the Regional.  Looks like it was a pretty good weekday matchup.  The indians are playing some solid baseball right now and Derrick David is still swinging it well hitting his 11th HR of the season.  This weekend the Indians face off with a SU team that is lingering around the West Conf. Standings...I pray every night before I go to bed that SU found a Sands Resort in Abilene to lounge at all week after sweeping the DH from HSU...But they probably didnt and will have to make that long drive back up there to get pumbled this weekend...will D.David apprach Josh Lee's single season conf record of 17 Homeruns?

Lubbock Christian rolled HSU 12-1.  LCU is 29-1.  The Cowgirls have lost 3 in a row.  They appear to be up and down this year.  I guess that is a direct reflection of the caliber of pitching and pitching depth in the west.  Will they eat their wheaties before CTX rolls into Town?  This is an important weekend for both clubs.  No weekday game for the Tornados this week, they will be fresh; should be a fun series to watch.

ETBU beat Wiley College 6-5 with a 9th inning Homerun.  Great win for ETBU.  even though they are out of the race for the east noone gives up their pride out of respect for the game.  With LC and MC still on their plate im hoping they can muster up some gonads and give these ASC tournament bound teams some losses.

Rhodes beat MC scoring 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th.  This also could be a potential matchup in the regional.

Overall looked like there were some pretty good weekday matchups today.  Late inning wins prove 1 of 2 things or a combination of both....either lackof pitching depth in bullpens after the traditional 3 game series or the good teams are peaking out at the proper time heading into the home stretch of the season...

CUAfan

When it comes to the HR race, don't forget that Tom Williams has 11 (or was it 12?) as well.
Let's go 'Nados!

CUAfan

Time for new sets of team and player rankings in the various stats I've posted before, through last weekend's games. I've actually got some new ones as well. I found the formula to do BaseRuns for pitchers, which I then translated to BaseRuns/9IP, or BaseRun Average (BsRA). Also, I figured up VORP for both hitters and pitchers, operating under the assumption that the theoretical "replacement level" will be roughly as far below average as in MLB.

Team Speed
Mary Hardin-Baylor - 9.02
Texas-Tyler - 8.53
Mississippi College - 8.33
Ozarks - 8.05
Howard Payne - 7.98

Team Defense
Texas-Tyler - .689
Mary Hardin-Baylor - .686
Ozarks - .683
Texas-Dallas - .679
Hardin-Simmons - .675

Team DICE
Texas-Tyler - 3.07
Louisiana College - 3.34
Ozarks - 3.45
Schreiner - 4.18 (yeah, I was surprised too)
Texas-Dallas - 4.23

Team BsRA
Texas-Tyler - 3.54
Ozarks - 3.82
Texas-Dallas - 4.91
Louisiana College - 5.13
Mississippi College - 5.34

Team BsR/PA
Texas-Tyler - .223
Concordia-Texas - .211
McMurry - .211
Mary Hardin-Baylor - .209
Ozarks - .207
Let's go 'Nados!

fungoman

While it might hurt in the regional structure...the bullpen depth of Tyler will not hurt them in the ASC, or the ASC tournament. That is unless they drop a game early in the 2nd round and have to come out of the loser's bracket. This starting rotation is easily the best in the conference, but I have to agree that the bullpen depth might come back to hurt them at some point.

Ralph Turner...did you make the UMHB Mcm series? I would like to see your take on UMHB this year if possible. I might have to see if I can catch a game this weekend in the TLU series.

HAMBONE...I am a UT Tyler Alum.

Top to bottom I agree the west is stronger. But we still shouldn't take away from arguably the two best teams in this conference in the East.

Another comment to you CUA fans...Good luck the next three weekends.