FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doolittledog

Quote from: 5 Words or Less on July 16, 2016, 10:09:23 PM
Today's O-linemen outweigh 1956 counterparts
http://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/weights-division-iii-football-linemen-38-1956-tufts-researchers-report

... 1956 senior captains at Luther College, Don Nesheim 69 and Paul Duckstad 72 confer with Coach Edsel Schweizer

... First year Head Coach, Aaron Hafner, confers with freshman O-lineman James Ostlie 69 and sophmore tackle Tyler Moon 72

A - Nice touch recreating that photo

B - My old brain can't remember if it was NewKnightdads, or FootballDaddy's son that was a lineman and dropped 50 pounds in his 1st year after his playing days.  I suspect he is in the minority.  But then again, most kids these days are much better informed about nutrition, training and all that stuff. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

DrDutch

I'm down 60 from my highest weight on the D-Line at Central and have kept it off for the last 8 years.  My playing days ended in 2000, but within 1 year I had dropped about 30 and then took the next 30 off about a decade later.  The nutrition, strength training, empty calories purely for weight gain (beer) were essential to gain and keep weight on and we had a lot of instruction in all of those (except the beer--that's still a no-no for in-season football players).  Running in AM's and weights in PM's required a lot of calories to keep things where they were.  In my first several years after college, I played in a few alumni games (alumni vs. current players) and after about 5-10 years out, the alumni skill players were as heavy as some of the alumni linemen. 

The article isn't too earth-shattering....everyone in society is fatter now and while many athletes have better strength training and nutrition now, as a people we are just heavier.

doolittledog

Looking through twitter the Loras and Nebraska Wesleyan football twitter pages released their recruiting list.  Luther released a list in May, and noted they would be adding more during the summer.  As usual, my math could be off  ;)

Loras - https://twitter.com/LorasCollegeFB

47 recruits
25 from Illinois
17 from Iowa
04 from Wisconsin
01 from Nebraska

Nebraska Wesleyan - https://twitter.com/NWUFootball

52 recruits
37 from Nebraska
12 from Colorado
02 from Kansas
01 from Texas

Luther - https://twitter.com/LutherFootball?lang=en

23 recruits
09 - Florida
03 - California
03 - Minnesota
02 - Colorado
02 - Illinois
02 - Nevada
01 - Arkansas
01 - Wisconsin
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

HansenRatings

Quote from: doolittledog on July 18, 2016, 01:13:33 AM
Looking through twitter the Loras and Nebraska Wesleyan football twitter pages released their recruiting list.  Luther released a list in May, and noted they would be adding more during the summer.  As usual, my math could be off  ;)

Loras - https://twitter.com/LorasCollegeFB

47 recruits
25 from Illinois
17 from Iowa
04 from Wisconsin
01 from Nebraska

Nebraska Wesleyan - https://twitter.com/NWUFootball

52 recruits
37 from Nebraska
12 from Colorado
02 from Kansas
01 from Texas

Luther - https://twitter.com/LutherFootball?lang=en

23 recruits
09 - Florida
03 - California
03 - Minnesota
02 - Colorado
02 - Illinois
02 - Nevada
01 - Arkansas
01 - Wisconsin
00 - Iowa

I noticed this also. I don't understand how they avoided getting a single commit from Iowa.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

doolittledog

To be fair, the Luther list is from early May, so they could have several Iowa kids by now.  I know Upper Iowa is pulling in Iowa kids that once upon a time would have ended up at Luther or Wartburg over Fayette.  Or... Could Luther be hiding their Iowa commits with the thought if they advertised them on twitter those kids would then get bombarded by calls from other IIAC schools?

5 Words or Less

Quote from: doolittledog on July 18, 2016, 07:54:36 PM
To be fair, the Luther list is from early May, so they could have several Iowa kids by now.  I know Upper Iowa is pulling in Iowa kids that once upon a time would have ended up at Luther or  Wartburg over Fayette.  Or... Could Luther be hiding their Iowa commits with the thought if they advertised them on twitter those kids would then get bombarded by calls from other IIAC Big 10 and Big 12 schools?

fixed it  :)

warthog

Nebraska Wesleyan responded to my inquiry about pregame tailgating.

I explained that Wartburg fans and those from some other IIAC institutions enjoyed an occasional adult beverage during tailgating festivities.

They sent a polite but short response that we would be welcomed in college owned facilities for pregame gatherings, but booze of any sort was not permitted on campus.

Monmouth on week one followed by Nebraska Wesleyan in week two.  They both appear to be party poopers.  There could be some serious demand for tailgating debauchery when Knights finally return to the friendly confines of Walston-Hoover.
BE ORANGE

doolittledog

Quote from: warthog on July 19, 2016, 11:33:55 PM

I explained that Wartburg fans and those from some other IIAC institutions enjoyed an occasional adult beverage during tailgating festivities.

They sent a polite but short response that we would be welcomed in college owned facilities for pregame gatherings, but booze of any sort was not permitted on campus.

Monmouth on week one followed by Nebraska Wesleyan in week two.  They both appear to be party poopers.  There could be some serious demand for tailgating debauchery when Knights finally return to the friendly confines of Walston-Hoover.

I wonder if this info had been known before the conference invite, if the vote would have still been unanimous  ;D

If I'm driving all the way to Nebraska, I should be allowed some alcohol as a reward.  Not many people drive to Nebraska...willingly!!! 

badgerwarhawk

I didn't know you could tailgate without alcohol.  :(   But then again I'm from Wisconsin and we can't walk to the corner store for milk without a beer.    ;D  ;)
"Just think twice is my only advice."

5 Words or Less

NWU's departure affects GPAC / NAIA.
http://www.hcmediaonline.org/naia-conferences-realignment/

... "11 of the 24 [NAIA] conferences will see a total of 16 changes, ranging from three teams leaving their conference to join the NCAA, to two campuses closing up."

doolittledog

Quote from: 5 Words or Less on July 23, 2016, 11:26:00 AM
NWU's departure affects GPAC / NAIA.
http://www.hcmediaonline.org/naia-conferences-realignment/

... "11 of the 24 [NAIA] conferences will see a total of 16 changes, ranging from three teams leaving their conference to join the NCAA, to two campuses closing up."

Reading from that article, I was unaware the IIAC was an NCAA DII conference  ;D

AndOne

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on July 20, 2016, 11:03:42 AM
I didn't know you could tailgate without alcohol.  :(   But then again I'm from Wisconsin and we can't walk to the corner store for milk without a beer.    ;D  ;)

Don't forget the brat that goes with that beer, Badger :D

AndOne

Quote from: doolittledog on July 20, 2016, 02:46:35 AM
Quote from: warthog on July 19, 2016, 11:33:55 PM

I wonder if this info had been known before the conference invite, if the vote would have still been unanimous  ;D

If I'm driving all the way to Nebraska, I should be allowed some alcohol as a reward.  Not many people drive to Nebraska...willingly!!!

NWU has always been something of a party pooper when it comes to the consumption of "adult" beverages. This is largely due to its Methodist heritage. Back in ancient times (the 70s) when I was a Plainsman (NOT Prairie Wolf) athlete, the Alcohol (and Drug) Policy Statement wasn't a mile long like it is now, and mainly just prohibited alcohol in University housing and by those not of legal age.
Tailgating was basically absent at FB games with local adults and partying at home, out of town visitors at their hotels, and students in fraternities (5 at the time) and sororities (4), despite being classified as "university" housing. The underage Greek system pledges would just go from the dorms to their houses to join in the partaking festivities. Many groups of kids would ban together to rent cheaper hotel rooms in which to enjoy the consumption of mass quantities prior to games. I'm sure the scene was much the same at many schools. At any rate, a large percentage of the NWU crowds at the usually well attended games, always arrived well primed and ready to enthusiastically voice their support.

One thing that always seemed odd was NWU's rather conservative stance on alcohol possession/consumption when the State of Nebraska was actually quite liberal during those times, lowering the drinking age to 20 in 1969, and then to 19 in 1972, before raising it back to 20 in 1980, and finally to 21 in 1985 in accordance with the national Drinking Age Act of 1984.

Fannosaurus Rex

Interesting that you seem to view Methodists as conservative.  I believe the Reformed folks out in Pella call them, "swingers."
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

MediaGuy

Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on July 23, 2016, 09:25:46 PM
Interesting that you seem to view Methodists as conservative.  I believe the Reformed folks out in Pella call them, "swingers."

You should hear what they call Orange-clad German Lutherans in Pella...I'm pretty sure I heard a swear word once or twice  ;D