FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craft_Beermeister

Quote from: raiderpa on October 20, 2018, 07:47:14 AM
The history of college coaches going to the NFL is not too positive, and NFL players are not going to buy in to rah rah stuff that college coaches serve up.  Different game, different mindset.  Although I think Campbell is a tremendous college coach, I see nothing that would lead me to believe he would do well at the next level.

I agree that the history of success of going from college coaching to NFL has shown limited success, but there have been several success stories. The fact that people close to John Dorsey have a high appreciation for Matt Campbell's coaching reinforces a consensus many have that Matt is a strong candidate for advancing upward.  I'm not saying Matt is ready or interested in moving up to the NFL, but the success Matt is having against teams with much more talent that his team is getting a lot of positive notice.

Matt gets a lot out of his players but I wouldn't characterize Matt as a rah rah coach. Matt's organizational skills, attention to the right details, ability to deliver a clear and consistent message are just some of the attributes that separate him from other coaches.

Speaking of rah rah coaches that won't have a chance of being a successful as a head coach in the NFL, Mike Varbel must be destine for failure..... whoops maybe local guy Mike isn't a good example. I agree there were many NFL head coaching failures my guys all hyped up and were only rah rah without team building skills, able to be a good judge of character, leadership skills, etc.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Vrabel didn't jump from College HC to NFL HC.  He went from college position coach to NFL Assistant to NFL Coordinator to NFL Head Coach.

Totally different path than College HC to NFL HC.

He also had NFL playing pedigree that pro players respect.

I'm not saying Campbell couldn't do it. Just apples to oranges comparing him to Vrabel.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Craft_Beermeister

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on October 20, 2018, 11:22:42 AM
Vrabel didn't jump from College HC to NFL HC.  He went from college position coach to NFL Assistant to NFL Coordinator to NFL Head Coach.

Totally different path than College HC to NFL HC.

He also had NFL playing pedigree that pro players respect.

I'm not saying Campbell couldn't do it. Just apples to oranges comparing him to Vrabel.

Kara & Jaxon's Dad

I agree with you on Varbel and I think most football fans especially those in NE Ohio should know Mike's football background and career path.  Mike literally grew up in my backyard and Mike has been intense in his presuit of football from a player to coach.  Some in the past have labeled Varbel as a high energy rah rah person.  Mike has a high football IQ and team building skills amoung other traits in addition to being an upbeat rah rah person. My point is that not all succeful college coaches gain their success by being rah rah to young adults.

Dr. Acula

At the half....

Etta 17, JCU 14

Craft_Beermeister

JCU down 3 at half and they need to pick it up a bit in second half. Big time of possession difference in first half Marietta time of possession 20:30 to JCU's 9:30.

Sir Battlescars

Is anyone else having trouble with the video stream?
2014 NCAC Football Pick 'Em Champion!!

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

BillyRayJimBob

Could not get the video stream after multiple attempts through mid-second quarter.
Bonus is that I listen to Mount Union and watch multiple OAC streams.
Looking at the scores, we have OAC risers and additional discussion regarding parity.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

BW 35 - Wilm 33
ONU 49 - Cap 46
JCU 27 - Etta 24 in 4th
MTU 54 - Heid 0
Musky 14 - Ott 14 in 4th

Parity or weakening of the conference?

BillyRayJimBob

Marietta: Grasping defeat from the jaws of victory?

Dr. Acula

Quote from: BillyRayJimBob on October 20, 2018, 04:43:09 PM
Marietta: Grasping defeat from the jaws of victory?

JCU completely physically dominated them up front the entire 4th qtr.  Ran the ball at will on them and their D line took over the game.  Etta couldn't even get a first down, let alone score again.  The turning point play was Etta going for it up 24-21 on 4th and 1 from their own 34.  They got stuffed for the second straight play (it was 3rd and 2).  JCU had all the momentum and just handed it off a few times and scored the go ahead TD a few plays later.

bluestreak66

Marietta might be better than people think! I'm happy JCU won that game
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

USee

I'm shocked Etta went for it from their own 34 with a lead.  That's a serious Belichik move and it likely cost them the game

Dr. Acula

Quote from: USee on October 21, 2018, 12:31:36 AM
I'm shocked Etta went for it from their own 34 with a lead.  That's a serious Belichik move and it likely cost them the game

I was surprised as well.  JCU was run heavy so I thought Etta would punt and load up against the run.  Going for it seemed unnecessarily aggressive.

pradierguy

"Jase Hammack and Luke Poorman combined to complete 16 of 21 passes for 150 yards for No. 2 Mary Hardin-Baylor in a 49-0 win at Belhaven"

I saw this note in the Top 25 article and thought "wow, they must be splitting snaps now." Then I looked at the stats and saw Poorman went 3 for 3 for a small amount of yardage. Truly bizarre how Poorman must be forced into the narrative on this website. 3 for 3 from a backup QB in a blowout now gets combined with the starters stats in the wrap up?