FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doolittledog

It's slow this time of year, so...

Augustana, SD is leaving D2 and moving to D1.  Their conference, the NSIC has teams in Nebraska, the Dakotas, Minnesota, and former IIAC school Upper Iowa. 

Would any schools in our conference take a look at making the move?  I wouldn't think so, but maybe fans here know more about their favorite school.

BVU has a decent sized endowment, but have been hemorrhaging students recently.  Now down to about 700 in Storm Lake.  Would they consider a move to try to shake things up?  Sort of similar to Upper Iowa?

Luther has a decent sized endowment, large annual giving, large student body, are in the process of an athletics facilities overhaul, recruits Minnesota well.  Would they be interested?

Dubuque has a decent sized endowment, large annual giving, a student body now around 2k, nice facilities.  Would the Spartans be interested?  My take is Dubuque looks towards Chicago...D2 options are basically Minnesota or Missouri based.  I don't believe Dubuque would go for a D2 move with what is out there at this time. 

Any other schools to think of?
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

BLynn

As much as I believed Upper Iowa was incorrect in moving to D2 (they have acclimated decently) I think Augie's decision is worse b/c they will need to disassemble their football program to Non-scholarship ala Drake which means little to no chance at post season football: and if they do make it, will run into a Missouri Valley team in round one.

As far as other Iowa schools that could replace the Vikings in the NSIC, Morningside had gone that route and won't again (NAIA National Champs in Football, thank you very much), but id Upper Iowa did it from a low vantage point, I think BVU should try since their closeness to Sioux Falls, Augie, Wayne State and SW Minn St would reduce some travel costs while they build scholarships.  They'd be the 3rd 'Beavers' in the NSIC with Bemidji and Minot St.

Outside the Crate

Why would Augustana need to go non-scholarship (like Drake)?  In looking over their website, among the possibilities they are exploring are the NDState, USD and SDState conference...  It would certainly be an option, but...

Now, I happen to think this D1 talk is a bit of a crazy idea, but they have been highly successful in their D2 conference and in national D2 competition.  They seem to have very aggressive leadership -- both their immediate past president and the new one.  Their strategic plan appears to be very aggressive toward growth.

kubiack78

Auggie also has that Sanford money backing them.  So financially they are set.

BLynn

If all that Sanford $ was doing things for Augie, they'd be making the D2 playoffs 'every' year.  They don't; in fact when they were in the same conference as NDSU, SDSU, UNI, USD, etc., they made the post season twice, 1988 and '89.  one and done both times. 

Similar to Morningside, Augie was never able to compete year in and year out with the big boys.  I thought they should have gone NAIA, D3 or non scholarship when the 'old' NCC dissolved. They are at least 'competitive' now in D2, but far from D1 material

doolittledog

From what I have read, it makes it seem like Sanford is the one demanding the move.  Sounds like the Augie president was initially reluctant and I believe one AD left the school over this.  But, a school president will follow the money. 

My issue is what does the school do if the Sanford money dries up?  Augie has a modest endowment and average annual giving for a school that size.  Sanford money might be able to fund the move for now.  But nothing says that money will always be there. 

Morningside and Augustana were two peas in a pod in the old NCC days.  Morningside moving to the NAIA reduced athletics costs, has seen on field success (won a football natty this weekend), and enrollment has increased. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Outside the Crate

Merry Christmas everybody...  The brief video below reminds one of all the wonderful talent on our campuses.

https://wartburg.thankview.com/video/5c19747c7f699/bill

All the best to everyone in the New Year!

DBQ1965

To all you old-time IIACers, may the best of the season be with you and yours.  And for all of us new ARCers, we eventually will get used to it.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

doolittledog

Happy holidays to you all.  May you dreams be filled with visions of recruiting battles won that will lead your team to a conference championship  ;)

doolittledog

It's 2019.  Something like 235 days until opening kickoff.  Any news?  Coaches coming/going?  Player transfers in/out?  Facilities upgrades?  Conference movement in/out? Non sports news within the conference?

5 Words or Less

DSM Register may get worse

Quote from: http://www.startribune.com/hedge-fund-called-destroyer-of-newspapers-bids-for-usa-today-owner-gannett/504338792/A New York hedge fund known for gutting newsrooms is backing a hostile takeover bid for Gannett, the publisher of USA Today and 100 other newspapers. The unsolicited offer, worth over $1.3 billion, would create the largest newspaper company in the United States and further consolidate a struggling industry.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: 5 Words or Less on January 14, 2019, 10:52:12 PM
DSM Register may get worse

Quote from: http://www.startribune.com/hedge-fund-called-destroyer-of-newspapers-bids-for-usa-today-owner-gannett/504338792/A New York hedge fund known for gutting newsrooms is backing a hostile takeover bid for Gannett, the publisher of USA Today and 100 other newspapers. The unsolicited offer, worth over $1.3 billion, would create the largest newspaper company in the United States and further consolidate a struggling industry.

D3Football.com was the future in 1998!

doolittledog

2019 schedules...

BVU
09/07 - @ Hamline 6:00 pm
09/14 - Concordia NE (NAIA) 6:00 pm
09/21 - NWU (Homecoming/Hall of Fame) 1:00 pm
09/28 - @ Simpson 1 pm
10/05 - Wartburg 1 pm
10/12 - @ Coe 1 pm
10/19 - Central 1 pm
10/26 - @ Loras 1 pm
11/02 - Luther (Senior Day) 1pm
11/09 - @ Dubuque 1 pm
11/16 - BYE

Coe
09/07 - @ Augustana
09/14 - Cornell
09/21 - @ Loras
09/28 - Luther
10/05 - @ Dubuque
10/12 - BVU
10/19 - @ NWU
10/26 - Simpson
11/02 - @ Wartburg
11/09 - BYE
11/16 - Central

Dubuque
09/05 - @ UW-Whitewater 7:00 p.m.
09/14 - Pacific 6:00 p.m.
09/21 - Simpson 6:00 p.m.
09/28 - @ Wartburg 1:00 p.m.
10/05 - Coe 1:00 p.m.
10/12 - @ Central 1:00 p.m.
10/19 - Loras 2:00 p.m. (Homecoming)
10/26 - @ Luther College 1:00 p.m.
11/02 - BYE
11/09 - BVU 1:00 p.m.
11/16 - @ NWU 1:00 p.m.

Luther
09/07 - @ Whittier
09/14 - St Olaf 1:00 p.m.
09/21 - Wartburg 1:00 p.m.
09/28 - @ Coe 1:00 p.m.
10/05 - Central 1:00 p.m. (Homecoming)
10/12 - @ Loras 1:00 p.m.
10/19 - BYE
10/26 - Dubuque 1:00 p.m.
11/02 - @ BVU 1:00 p.m.
11/09 - NWU 1:00 p.m.
11/16 - @ Simpson 12:00 p.m.

GoIrish7

https://247sports.com/Article/Wisconsin-Whitewater-wakeyleaks-offensive-coordinator-playbook-cheating-scandal-128396746/

Curious to hear everyones thoughts on this. Tough look for those involved. Wonder what the consequenses will be for Coach Z and Schmidt.... other assistants involved. Have to imagine d3 officials will have to step in as it is a multi conference deal.

Kohawk Nation

Quote from: GoIrish7 on January 28, 2019, 03:57:44 PM
https://247sports.com/Article/Wisconsin-Whitewater-wakeyleaks-offensive-coordinator-playbook-cheating-scandal-128396746/

Curious to hear everyones thoughts on this. Tough look for those involved. Wonder what the consequenses will be for Coach Z and Schmidt.... other assistants involved. Have to imagine d3 officials will have to step in as it is a multi conference deal.

The stupidity involved is really what jumps out at me.  Not condoning cheating by any stretch of the imagination, but sending email strings with words like "Keep this on the down low please" have to be pretty high on the list of ways to get caught.  You are right not a good look at all for the parties involved, and will be curious to hear all the facts surrounding it.