FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 28, 2016, 11:38:00 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 28, 2016, 07:04:51 PM
Quote from: Hawks88 on September 28, 2016, 06:20:50 PM
USA South tweeted today that there is a big announcement coming Friday. Anybody got any ideas what it might be?
Confidence interval

45%   Which school is adding football?
40%   Which school has sought membership in the USA South?
5%    The USA South has voted to split in two?
~10%  Something else?
0.000000001%  LSU has hired a football coach from a USA South school to be the new head coach.

Going to guess some scheduling arrangement with the ODAC, maybe even loaning a school to the ODAC for football only.
I think this may be spot on ... USASAC will have 9 and ODAC will have 7 as is ... would solve a lot of scheduling issues if both have eight.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: hasanova on September 28, 2016, 11:50:48 PM

Going to guess some scheduling arrangement with the ODAC, maybe even loaning a school to the ODAC for football only.
I think this may be spot on ... USASAC will have 9 and ODAC will have 7 as is ... would solve a lot of scheduling issues if both have eight.
I agree.  Whom?  Averett? Ferrum? Greensboro?

Hawks88

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 29, 2016, 08:50:24 AM

Ferrum? The HSC folks on the ODAC board were complaining about Ferrum backing out of the HSC home game part of their contract next year. Maybe Ferrum is going to HSC next year after all?

jknezek

I can't imagine Greensboro wanting to do that. In recent history, at least, the ODAC has proven to be a difficult climb for most USASAC teams, including the 3 mentioned but especially Greensboro. Even Averett, seemingly with one of their better teams in a while, went 1-2 against the ODAC this year. And in Ferrum's best recent years, '11 and '12, they went 1-2 and 1-1 against the ODAC. For scheduling purposes I'd be happy to have them, but what do they get out of it? A little more compact travel perhaps, especially for Averett and Ferrum. Is that enough?

jknezek

Quote from: Hawks88 on September 29, 2016, 08:59:01 AM

Ferrum? The HSC folks on the ODAC board were complaining about Ferrum backing out of the HSC home game part of their contract next year. Maybe Ferrum is going to HSC next year after all?

That would be a funny outcome given the bellyaching. I think of this basically in terms of a favor to the ODAC if it happens. Granted it'd be easier for the USASAC to have 8 than 9, but that's not as big a problem as the ODAC having 7. So if it comes true, the ODAC will owe the USASAC a very nice thank you card!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on September 29, 2016, 09:16:39 AM
Quote from: Hawks88 on September 29, 2016, 08:59:01 AM

That would be a funny outcome given the bellyaching. I think of this basically in terms of a favor to the ODAC if it happens. Granted it'd be easier for the USASAC to have 8 than 9, but that's not as big a problem as the ODAC having 7. So if it comes true, the ODAC will owe the USASAC a very nice thank you card!
Or a commitment to play 2 OOC games for 4 years?

Stronger inter-conference relations in other sports?

The ODAC gets help with scheduling in other sports from the Centennial and Capital AC (and even the MAC schools to some degree). The SAA is "kinda there" for OOC games for the USA South, but Rhodes, Hendrix and Millsaps are a long way to the west.

jknezek

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 29, 2016, 01:01:39 PM
Or a commitment to play 2 OOC games for 4 years?

Stronger inter-conference relations in other sports?

The ODAC gets help with scheduling in other sports from the Centennial and Capital AC (and even the MAC schools to some degree). The SAA is "kinda there" for OOC games for the USA South, but Rhodes, Hendrix and Millsaps are a long way to the west.

Could be. But it's mostly done anyway. The only ODAC schools that didn't play 2 USASAC opponents this year were W&L, Bridgewater and Catholic. Those three schools played none. But the other 5 all played at least 2, with Guilford playing 3.

Last year every team but Catholic played at least one. And only W&L, H-SC, and Bridgewater only played one. The other 4 teams played at least 2, with Guilford playing 3.

Not sure how it plays out in other sports.

Hawks88

Apparently the USA South now has an official facebook page.

Sorry.

jknezek

Well. The definition of a big announcement varies greatly, doesn't it? Classic how we took that ball and ran with it...

hasanova

Hawks88 and jknezek, laughing with both of you ... I got sucked in too ... I can't tell you how many times I checked this morning to see what the "big" announcement was.  lol

Hawks88

Yeah, kind of a long drive to Rocky Mount, checking on my phone at every stop wondering what the news was. Phhht.

Ralph Turner

Great game

Averett 65 LaGrange 62. 4OT.

The audio went down but it looked like a 37yd FG to win.

hasanova

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 01, 2016, 08:44:49 PM
Great game

Averett 65 LaGrange 62. 4OT.

The audio went down but it looked like a 37yd FG to win.
I saw the final.  Wild.  48 all in regulation.  7/7/0/3 for AU to win.  Naturally, LC went 7/7/0/0.

Hawks88

Disappointing day for the Hawks. We started out well enough with TD's on two of our first three possessions but then the wheels kind of came off after giving up the long kick-off return. From late in the first and most of the second quarters our offense went into some kind of funk making mistakes that I don't think I've ever seen this team make. QB turns one way and RB goes the other, confusion getting the right personnel groups in a couple times. Silly stuff that's way out of character for these guys. Seemed to put it back together late in the second and drove down and should have gotten points but had the pick in the end zone that was killer, especially with NCW getting the ball first in the 2nd half. After they scored on that first possession to go up 3 TD's our guys showed a lot of fight to get two straight scores and cut it to 7. On NCW's next possession we got a pick that really could have finished turning things back around but the side judge somehow imagined a face mask penalty and gave them the ball back. One DB three steps behind the receiver and the corner back makes a nice move on the ball cutting under to make the pick. Neither guy anywhere near within arms length to make any kind of contact with the guy and the flag doesn't come out until after the pick. Very questionable and we never really got anything going again.
Over all NC Wesleyan played very well and we didn't do enough to win the game.
All we can do now is win the rest and hope for them to lose two down the line.

Go Hawks!

Scots13

I was in a wedding yesterday and my Scots won big and Huntingdon lost...maybe I need to go to more weddings?

NCWC is the real deal. I knew they were good since the reeled off 5 or 6 straight last year and lost most of the games tight. MC has them next so we'll see what we got for them. Favorable for MC though as we have NCWC and HC at home this year.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!