MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

Quote from: iwu70 on April 06, 2017, 11:31:53 PM
I was just saying that Ron Rose has a big job on his hand to replace several key bigs for the season next year -- with Seibring, Bausch, Amman departing. 

Austin Amann is a 6-3 guard.

USee

joehakes

Quote from: Titan Q on April 07, 2017, 08:03:39 AM
Quote from: iwu70 on April 06, 2017, 11:31:53 PM
I was just saying that Ron Rose has a big job on his hand to replace several key bigs for the season next year -- with Seibring, Bausch, Amman departing. 

Austin Amann is a 6-3 guard.

He's an alternative big man.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: USee on April 07, 2017, 11:09:30 AM
Q,

Stop confusing things with facts.

We're calling iwu70 a "thing" now? That seems cruel and arbitrary to me, and I'd like to file a protest.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

NCC RECRUIT

North Central has secured a commitment from 6'2" SF/SG Terreon Hopkins of Hinsdale South.

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on April 08, 2017, 09:24:57 AM
First announced group of Elmhurst recruits...

http://www.elmhurstbluejays.com/news/2017/4/6/mens-basketball-baines-announces-first-of-2017-recruiting-class.aspx

Recruits from FL and TX?  ???
Baines must have negotiated for a nice chunk of the athletic budget to be allocated to basketball recruiting. 🏀 🙂

EC has posted a preliminary '17-'18 roster. It appears that PG Marquis Carter, who started 14 games and played in 22, is not returning. Also, among others, it doesn't appear Brian Kern, who looked good at times at the 2G, and had some nice games, or Michael Plunk will be back.
Anyone know what's up concerning those guys?

WUPHF

Quote from: AndOne on April 09, 2017, 06:18:47 PM
Recruits from FL and TX?  ???  Baines must have negotiated for a nice chunk of the athletic budget to be allocated to basketball recruiting. 🏀 🙂

There is one St. Louis area university that has a partnership between athletics and admissions.  The admissions office has coaches do presentations and outreach at high schools and college fairs and then allows the coaches time to recruit athletes.  Admissions covers the cost.

WUPHF

By the way, my karma has taken a hit since posting about Augustana last week. 

I was serious about Coach Giovanine and his promotion in the hall of fame at his alma mater.

Or, maybe it was the reference to the Augustana and their pre-med program.  That was Giovanine that made that claim.  I was just repeating.

augie77

I believe the pre-med reference might actually be referring to comments from a recruit some years ago that he was attracted to Augustana because of their "medical school", which of course doesn't exist.  That's been a running joke for many years.

+k, but maybe my karma will now take a hit. ;) :-\

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUH on April 10, 2017, 11:46:10 AM
Quote from: AndOne on April 09, 2017, 06:18:47 PM
Recruits from FL and TX?  ???  Baines must have negotiated for a nice chunk of the athletic budget to be allocated to basketball recruiting. 🏀 🙂

There is one St. Louis area university that has a partnership between athletics and admissions.  The admissions office has coaches do presentations and outreach at high schools and college fairs and then allows the coaches time to recruit athletes.  Admissions covers the cost.

I'm guessing that Baines learned about those Florida and Texas players either through a scouting service or from watching an AAU tournament somewhere. I doubt that he's working double duty as an Elmhurst admissions rep at college fairs, or that he learned about these guys Wheaton-style via a tip from an Elmhurst alumnus or two. I don't think that EC alumni are scattered in great numbers from coast to coast the way that Wheaton and North Park alumni are; it's a school of and (mostly) for Chicagolanders.

Quote from: WUH on April 10, 2017, 11:50:11 AM
Or, maybe it was the reference to the Augustana and their pre-med program.  That was Giovanine that made that claim.  I was just repeating.

I'm not familiar with any statements that Giovanine has made about Augie's pre-med program, although it's certainly possible that I missed something. The ongoing joke here in CCIW Chat has been in reference to Augustana's medical school, a mythical institution that popped up from out of nowhere when former Augustana center Luke Scarlata announced to his local paper in the spring of 2009 that he had chosen Augie for its medical school.

I think that I may have pointed this out once before on CCIW Chat, but after Scarlata had abruptly left the team as a junior during the 2011-12 season I found out what he was actually studying at Augie. He was a communications major.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: augie77 on April 10, 2017, 01:05:50 PM
I believe the pre-med reference might actually be referring to comments from a recruit some years ago that he was attracted to Augustana because of their "medical school", which of course doesn't exist.  That's been a running joke for many years.

+k, but maybe my karma will now take a hit. ;) :-\

Once again, I spent so much time fine-tuning my post that somebody beat me to the punch.

Curses! Foiled again!

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 10, 2017, 01:06:16 PM

Quote from: WUH on April 10, 2017, 11:50:11 AM

I'm not familiar with any statements that Giovanine has made about Augie's pre-med program, although it's certainly possible that I missed something. The ongoing joke here in CCIW Chat has been in reference to Augustana's medical school, a mythical institution that popped up from out of nowhere when former Augustana center Luke Scarlata announced to his local paper in the spring of 2009 that he had chosen Augie for its medical school.

I think that I may have pointed this out once before on CCIW Chat, but after Scarlata had abruptly left the team as a junior during the 2011-12 season I found out what he was actually studying at Augie. He was a communications major.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj60OAh7O5U

WUPHF

Quote from: augie77 on April 10, 2017, 01:05:50 PM

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 10, 2017, 01:06:16 PM
I'm guessing that Baines learned about those Florida and Texas players either through a scouting service or from watching an AAU tournament somewhere. I doubt that he's working double duty as an Elmhurst admissions rep at college fairs, or that he learned about these guys Wheaton-style via a tip from an Elmhurst alumnus or two.

I agree, I think that model of Coach-Admissions Officer is probably pretty rare.  It is an intriguing idea though.

I must have seen the "Augustana Medical School" reference here before...

As for the Giovanine reference, it took me a little searching but I found that quote...this from the win over Bradley.

"You have to realize we're not like any Division III team in the country," said Augustana coach Grey Giovanine. "We're unique. We're a seasoned, veteran really good team. Many of our guys turned down athletic scholarships because they wanted to be in our pre-med program."

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20141106/SPORTS/141109359

Gregory Sager

Nice powers of recall there, WUH. I had forgotten all about Giovanine's ploy to up the amperage on Augie's exhibition win over Bradley by touting his players to the press as a bunch of pre-med high achievers. That exhibition game took place two and a half years ago, and I don't think that anybody's mentioned it here since the day after the game, which means that you deserve bonus points for this one.

As comedic fodder goes, Giovanine's post-Bradley brag isn't as funny as the Augustana Medical School joke, but that was still an apt and well-timed quip on your part in response to BW's initial comment regarding Giovanine's recruiting prowess.