WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronk

Quote from: Rofrog on March 14, 2018, 11:21:11 PM
Talking about recruiting watching Syracuse tonight heard Boeheim speak of his daughter and playing the states.Well checked it out she will be going to U of R nice article.

Knew about her but her AAU tourney choices last summer didn't coincide with mine. Thought Jim would return the favor of stealing Gerry MacNamara by having her go to Scranton.  ;)

Rofrog

Pretty interesting story on how he rushed Syracuse into giving him the head coaching job by saying he was going to coach for U of R.He was just in the paper about playing with the Scranton Miners.

NEPAFAN

Also twitter is a phenomenon in and of itself. Kids are committing and putting it out there for all to see.

Rofrog: The last Danzig is going to Scranton...he may be the tallest at 6'6
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Rofrog

That is where I get my info Nepafan.I knew about Danzing and a kid out of Binghamton.But the women have a couple good recruits I will not say on here though.

Rofrog

Congratulations to Amherst on back to back National Champs.I just don't know how he does it.He loses players and keeps winning.I think to win a National title you have to be committed as a team(From the beginning of the year) and have athletic players and Strong defense it just shows with Gromacki year in and year out.I wish we can just win a National title.Yes we won but the Flintstones where around(Joking).But not bad for coach 3 years in a row,1st year  elite 8 (30-1 lost to Tufts)2nd year sweet 16 (26-4 lost to Tufts) and his 3rd year Sweet 16(28-2 lost to Bowdoin so it seems like Scranton will always play a Nescac team once they  make it to the sweet 16.This is  not even his full recruiting class yet So things are looking bright happy off season!

ronk

Scranton was eliminated by the national runner-up each of the last 3 years.

Rofrog

Ronk how does he do it?They  will lose 3 seniors again this year and make it again Just smh.I noticed one thing about Bowdoin,Tufts why they played in Scranton.Everyone of those girls can run the floor,They are not out of shape that is great to see they are only 18,19 year old kids they should be able to do that.I hope he gets help for Bridgette this off season.She definetly needs help just think what she has been doing by herself since she came here you definetly need someone to compliment her,Just like Strong did with Allison Matt and Taryn Mellody!

ronk

Amherst is very attractive, academically, and GP is an excellent coach and recruiter.  The 4 sophs, 3 of whom start, were all on my list 3 summers ago. They just found Amherst to be a better fit than Scranton. Just an example of the difficulty in competing with high academic schools, not to mention losing out for financial reasons to the state schools(SUNYs, NJACs, PSACs, etc.). Too bad Carl Danzig didn't have some daughters, also.  ;)

BBstudent

With respect to GP losing kids to graduation but continuing to win, keep in mind that in all three cases (St Lawrence, Hamilton and Amherst) he came into programs with mediocre records and, I believe, took every one of them to the NCAA tournament (at least quarter finals?) his first year. That is, he took the former coach's team, a schedule already set and won with them.
I believe at Amherst there was only one new player between the last year before he took over and the first year he coached. I have seen him coach from from the beginning - was there at the first Amherst game he coached and too many since then. I often look at the opposing team and it looks like they have more individual talent, but he still wins. Even this year, after watching Bowdoin and Tufts, I thought as individual players they were more talented than Amherst but as teams they can't beat him.
I really believe that he can beat Team X with his Amherst team, switch teams and after a few days of practice come back and win with Team X against Amherst.

Rofrog

I remember Gromacki at St Lawrence and Hamilton both times he played Scranton in the Ncaa and lost to them.The St lawerrence trip was a ride!

ronk

I suggested to Coach Gromacki that he apply for the opening(at that time) in Scranton's Poinsettia tourney this coming season; haven't heard yet if he followed through on my suggestion.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on March 19, 2018, 07:12:45 PM
I suggested to Coach Gromacki that he apply for the opening(at that time) in Scranton's Poinsettia tourney this coming season; haven't heard yet if he followed through on my suggestion.

There is speculation he may be bringing the team back to another tournament we have promoted. :)

Just rumor to be honest. Unless something is signed and paid for, anything is possible.

As for your suggestion, I am not sure he can do a tournament at that time. That timing tends to be when they have to shutdown for varying reasons. The latest I have seen him play in recent years is a solo game on the 12th or 13th. I know most NESCAC teams don't play much after that until after Christmas. The schools and conference have some rules pertaining to that - especially surrounding exams. Middlebury's men's coach Jeff Brown touched on them earlier this season on Hoopsville.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Checked the Amherst academic calendar and this year their exams were the week after the tourney, so there's no likelihood of them playing in that particular tourney. Maybe a single game earlier/later can happen.

saratoga

Trump is a bigger scum bag than I ever imagined.

The poor people of Syria haven't been through enough but now this jackass decides to drop bombs to take everyones attention away from all his mistakes.

I'm sure this will absolutely help the poor people just trying to make it through another day between the Russians, Assad, the Iranians & now us.

Second act of Wag The Dog.

Sorry for my rant on a b-ball site but this idiot nauseates me.

saratoga

Ok...back to basketball.

Looks like Marywood coach Tara Macciocco has left for the Wilkes opening when Wilkes did not renew the contract of their former coach.

Could be a great chance for Univ. of Scranton Asst. Taylor Coleman to move across town and have her own program.

I think Tara took Marywood about as far as she could.

Wilkes will certainly be a challenge to get back on track after about 20 abysmal years but I'm sure Tara will move the needle down there in a positive way.