FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 08, 2019, 11:06:56 PM
AndOne, until your negative karma reaches 3200+, kwitcher bitchin'!  (The great majority of mine came from being the sole liberal on the late, unlamented Politics board.  Since Pat didn't count posts there for posting totals, it seems pretty unfair that it DID count for karma totals.)

Six and a half years ago. I don't think the majority came from there but rather from your posting style of the previous decade.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 09, 2019, 09:11:38 PM
AndOne, until your negative karma reaches 3200+, kwitcher bitchin'!  (The great majority of mine came from being the sole liberal on the late, unlamented Politics board.  Since Pat didn't count posts there for posting totals, it seems pretty unfair that it DID count for karma totals.)

Six and a half years ago. I don't think the majority came from there but rather from your posting style of the previous decade.

Not so sure both of those reasons account for 100% of that, Pat.  You and I both know that there are some people on these boards who smite others because they are vindictive and just because they disagree with the other person's opinion.  That's obviously not the way it is supposed to work (actually none of the above is), however, that's just the way it is.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

Quote from: formerd3db on February 09, 2019, 10:36:22 PM

Not so sure both of those reasons account for 100% of that, Pat.  You and I both know that there are some people on these boards who smite others because they are vindictive and just because they disagree with the other person's opinion.  That's obviously not the way it is supposed to work (actually none of the above is), however, that's just the way it is.

Good thing is, I never said it accounted for 100%.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Thanks, d3db,

I was a bit of a 'prick' 10+ years ago in my postings, but I am 100% confident that the vast majority of my 'smites' came from the Politics board.  Since Politics board posts did not count towards post totals, why the h e double hockey sticks did applauds and smites get counted?! :o

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 09, 2019, 10:55:42 PM
Thanks, d3db,

I was a bit of a 'prick' 10+ years ago in my postings, but I am 100% confident that the vast majority of my 'smites' came from the Politics board.  Since Politics board posts did not count towards post totals, why the h e double hockey sticks did applauds and smites get counted?! :o

There was and is no way to turn off karma for a specific board.

Gregory Sager

I enjoyed my haltime interview with Kyle Rooker tonight. One thing about him, he isn't naive. I got the message loud and clear that he realizes what he's up against: the difficulty of recruiting for NPU football, the retention problem, the lack of depth every year that forces NPU to play far too many underclassmen before they're ready to set foot on the field in a varsity CCIW game. I like his candor, as he's the first of the many NPU coaches I've ever interviewed at halftime of a basketball game whom I gave what I would consider to be something beyond routine or softball questions, and he didn't flinch in giving me honest answers.

Only time will tell what he's able to do with the toughest job in CCIW football, but so far he's got a big thumbs-up from me.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

matblake

That's good to hear.  We all know that you love your Vikings, but know we'll get your honest opinion on how you feel about them.  The fact that you're encouraged is a great sign for NPU football.  All coaches want to win, but being honest about what your next steps are is the thing that tends to build programs.  I hope they can regain some competitiveness they had in some of the Conway years.  As the lone urban school in the CCIW, there are some kids who can have some world-opening experiences there and continue their football careers. 

That was a good interview, Greg.  Although as with most head coaches, the interviewer doesn't have to do much heavy lifting once you touch on the points they are passionate about.   ;D  He doesn't seem like the strong, silent type.  He seems like a really good hire, good luck to him!

formerd3db

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 09, 2019, 10:47:29 PM
Quote from: formerd3db on February 09, 2019, 10:36:22 PM

Good thing is, I never said it accounted for 100%.
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 09, 2019, 10:55:42 PM
Thanks, d3db,

Pat:

My apologies for any potential misinterpretation of your post, I did not intend it as a "snipe" at you.  One could potentially take from your post that there were only two sources of the negative karma-that which Mr. Ypsi said and the other being the majority from the reason you related.  I was just adding that there was certainly that additional reason, again, which we all know does occur; perhaps I could have explained all the above a little better/more clearly in my post.

I also "get it" in that you cannot really be the "judge" of whether or not karma is appropriate or not and if the latter, then "taken away."  By that I mean I'm sure there are many times where you believe a negative karma is not warranted (for whatever reason it was given-whether known or not) but it would be inappropriate for you to be the arbitrator of that-we know you do not want to be a Dictator here and step in somewhere, other than when things really and unequivocally get out of hand, as has happened only a few times over these past 20 years!  Can't do that with karma, though-understandable.   

Mr. Ypsi:

You are welcome, You certainly are more than capable of defending yourself on these boards, as we all are, including Pat :) and it is okay that all of us can just chime in on a discussion regardless of whether we are all in agreement or not with the topic in question. ;)   Of  course, statements/opinions can be misinterpreted, as all who participate on these boards are passionate about our own opinions!
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

New Tradition

I'll throw my $.02 in here.  I actually think there is some validity to both sides of the argument in kids wanting to spread their wings and go elsewhere vs. Naperville being a draw.  For me, the latter was true.  Others, though, really do like to get away, and often to scholarship institutions.  NCC punches a little above their weight class when it comes to recruiting, but it sometimes pays off, eventually.  Oftentimes, these better home town kids go off to other schools, but find out that the grass isn't greener and come back home.  There's a pretty good number of locally grown D1 transfers NCC gets from Tyke Spencer to, more recently, Cam Moore and Conner Joyce.  I'm not privy to their methodology, but it happens quite a bit.  Having other local kids that these guys played with in high school already on the team helps, I'm sure.  As to John Thorne being a name, I'm a bit of a unique case there.  I had already made my decision to go to NCC after being recruited by Joe DeGorge.  As a dumb high school senior, when he was let go and Thorne was hired, I considered gong elsewhere because I couldn't stand WWS as they and NC had been our (pretty bitter) rivals for the past 4 years.  His hiring was actually a deterrent to me.  Lenny Ratdtke and Chuck Earnest waited until the 11th hour before deciding on NCC, making the decision only just before camp freshman year, with that among the reasons. 
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

CardinalAlum

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 08, 2019, 11:15:00 PM
Chuck, I had always thought that you racked up all of those karma smites because other posters were envious of your good looks. ;)

I just thought it was the Green Weenie affiliation!  :D. Sending positive K!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

UWO Titan 78

Quote from: 79jaybird on February 05, 2019, 04:36:00 PM
Elmhurst has narrowed the HC search to (4) candidates.

These candidates will be on campus these next 2 weeks,  and there will be open forums to chime in.

Drew Nystrom
Wednesday, February 6, 2019
3:00-4:00 p.m.
Blume Board Room

Glen Brittich
Friday, February 8, 2019
Blume Board Room

Aaron Vicko
Monday, February 11, 2019
Alexander North

Jeff McDonald
Thursday, February 14, 2019

Is it expected that a decision on a HC will come shortly after today's final visit? I'm not sure what the normal course of proceedings is for these hires?

79jaybird

UWO-  My guess is it won't be a "Hey we're down interviewing  Voila! Here's the new HC."   If they continue to follow the traditional path (which the faculty use),  upon conclusion of the interviews,  the existing staff will share their thoughts (+ and - ) about each candidate,  and will move towards choosing the person to be.

I have a hunch I know who the candidate will be, so curious to see if it pans out.

(Continue to play the Jeopardy Theme Song...)   :P
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

USee

Who is Jeff McDonald? That's the next HC. His resume sticks out to me and his work at IWU, under Norm Eash, in a tough league to build a top 3 defense and keep it there has been impressive.

That's who I am going with.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: USee on February 14, 2019, 02:09:27 PM
I'm going with Jeff McDonald as the next HC. His resume sticks out to me and his work at IWU, under Norm Eash, in a tough league to build a top 3 defense and keep it there has been impressive.

Um, USee ...

Quote from: 79jaybird on February 14, 2019, 02:00:42 PM
UWO-  My guess is it won't be a "Hey we're down interviewing  Voila! Here's the new HC."   If they continue to follow the traditional path (which the faculty use),  upon conclusion of the interviews,  the existing staff will share their thoughts (+ and - ) about each candidate,  and will move towards choosing the person to be.

I have a hunch I know who the candidate will be, so curious to see if it pans out.

(Continue to play the Jeopardy Theme Song...)   :P

... please rephrase that in the form of a question.

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

CardinalAlum

Quote from: USee on February 14, 2019, 02:09:27 PM
I'm going with Jeff McDonald as the next HC. His resume sticks out to me and his work at IWU, under Norm Eash, in a tough league to build a top 3 defense and keep it there has been impressive.

Agree.  He has done a very good job at IWU.
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022