Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITH radio

Heartbreaker for Hobart but they have a lot of young talent on that roster, so they'll be back. Good luck to the U in the NCAAs.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

dlippiel

Quote from: magicman on February 25, 2017, 09:35:06 PM
Quote from: dlip on February 25, 2017, 05:39:31 PM
Congrats to the 2016-2017 LL Champion Union College Dutchmen!

You must be in 7th heaven dlip. A good friend of mine, Joe Cardany, went to Union in the late 70's-early 80's and graduated in 1981 as their all time leading scorer. His record stood for 20 years until a few guys broke his records when the 3 point shot came into play. If they had the 3 pointer when Joe was in college his record would still be unbroken.He was quite happy when I called to tell him that Union was dancing.

Thanks magicman! dlip is super excited for the players, staff, alum, and school! It was a great run (thanks to Hobart taking out Skidmore). dlip certainly did not think his Dutchmen would be able to defeat a solid Hobart squad three times in one year. That says a lot about their drive and focus. dlip really likes Bart and thinks very highly of them. Hopefully the Union players and staff will be able to enjoy the tourney experience!

stlawus

Nice to see my alma mater snag an at-large bid.  Seniors worked hard for it.  Luckily it's not too long of a trip to Rochacha, but it'll be a tough test against SJF nonetheless. 

Bartman

Good luck to the LL ballers in the tourney.....how close it was for the Statesmen :'(, but Ponies, Larries and Dutchies all deserved their spots. Get some wins!
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

magicman

Skidmore advances in the NCAA Tournament as they defeat New Jersey City by a 75-67 final score.

The Thoroughbreds led for most of the game and had a double digit lead in the 2nd half.

Aldin Medunjanin was the game's high scorer with 23 points. He added 6 rebounds and 5 assists.

Edvinas Rupkus had 20 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists.

Pat Gallagher also  had double figures with 10 points.

Skidmore will meet the winner of the Babson-Husson game on Saturday.

stlawus

Very disappointing finish to the season for this SLU squad.  Controlled the game to about midway through the 2nd half and then just collapsed in the paint defensively.  Allowed almost 40 SJF bench points.  I counted about 12 uncontested layups given up in the 2nd half.  They battled back down 6 to tie it with about 30 seconds left, but committed an HORRIFIC foul at half court with 27 seconds left that set off an implosion.  SJF made the first free throw, missed the 2nd and then SLU turns the ball over in the backcourt.  Another quick foul sent SJF, and they again made the first and missed the 2nd but SLU gave up an offensive board which sealed it. 

Very disappointing way for the seniors to go out.  They had a good season, and outperformed most expectations. This program still has yet to exceed that 08-09 squad.   

Nice to see Skidmore and Union get wins and continue to represent the league!

Bartman

Quote from: stlawus on March 04, 2017, 01:01:56 AM
Very disappointing finish to the season for this SLU squad.  Controlled the game to about midway through the 2nd half and then just collapsed in the paint defensively.  Allowed almost 40 SJF bench points.  I counted about 12 uncontested layups given up in the 2nd half.  They battled back down 6 to tie it with about 30 seconds left, but committed an HORRIFIC foul at half court with 27 seconds left that set off an implosion.  SJF made the first free throw, missed the 2nd and then SLU turns the ball over in the backcourt.  Another quick foul sent SJF, and they again made the first and missed the 2nd but SLU gave up an offensive board which sealed it. 

Very disappointing way for the seniors to go out.  They had a good season, and outperformed most expectations. This program still has yet to exceed that 08-09 squad.   

Nice to see Skidmore and Union get wins and continue to represent the league!

Tough loss,  saw the end and both teams fought hard but also made some stress errors . Home court seemed to help the Cardinals....Liberty League teams showed well....congrats to Skidmore and Union on wins..Skidmore looked very good making last Hobart win over them evidence of a strong league this year. Good luck to the LL remainers
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

dlippiel

Dutchmen down by 12 at the half. Dlip is very impressed with The Yellowjackets. Both teams playing tough D and working their collective "asses" off. The difference to dlip is U of R's shooting. They are hitting and Union is not. Very proud of the U though. A whole half left to go in Roc cha cha...Let's go U!!!

stlawus

And thus ends the Liberty League's run in the tournament.  Skidmore was actually up 5 with about 5 minutes to ago on arguably the best team in the country, but couldn't keep up in the end. 

Valiant effort by Union.  Had it within 6 early in the 2nd half but Rochester's shooting was just too much. 

dlippiel

Congrats to SLU, Skidmore, and Union on their NCAA tourney participation and representation of the LL!

Great season U! Congrats and a heart felt thanks to the seniors!

Best of luck to U of R as they move on. Dlip was super impressed with the Yellowjackets and their shooting. Great basketball team!

bearnation

Was doing some research about the Championship games in Salem VA.  Came across an all star game they play prior to the finals.  I have lost touch with D3 hoops since I moved south to Myrtle Beach, No D 3 Hoops in SC because they have no D 3 schools.  Plus my Potsdam Bears really have had a difficult run as of late.  Back in the day, I would be going to see the the Bears play for another title.  I noticed the rosters which has a player from Clarkson, Derek Hart who is from Poughkeepsie NY.  Did some research and come to find out he played high school ball at FDR in Hyde Park NY.  I spend 20 plus years of my life in Hyde Park, both kids graduated from there.  Looks like no only will I go to see the finals but also the all star game.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: bearnation on March 15, 2017, 01:58:19 PM
Was doing some research about the Championship games in Salem VA.  Came across an all star game they play prior to the finals.  I have lost touch with D3 hoops since I moved south to Myrtle Beach, No D 3 Hoops in SC because they have no D 3 schools.  Plus my Potsdam Bears really have had a difficult run as of late.  Back in the day, I would be going to see the the Bears play for another title.  I noticed the rosters which has a player from Clarkson, Derek Hart who is from Poughkeepsie NY.  Did some research and come to find out he played high school ball at FDR in Hyde Park NY.  I spend 20 plus years of my life in Hyde Park, both kids graduated from there.  Looks like no only will I go to see the finals but also the all star game.

They've been doing the All-Star game since they dropped the consolation game.  It's always a great time with some really talented seniors.  You won't regret it.  Admission comes with tickets for the weekend.  You won't be disappointed.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Caz Bombers

not too much longer until hoops season. Caz hopes Ithaca can snap out of the funk the program seems to be stuck in with its move to the LL. Not sure what to expect besides standings chaos...recalling two years ago when it seemed for a while every LL team would finish 8-8 in conference!

2017 LL Tourney MVP Deshon Burgess (Union) was picked by the Erie Bayhawks (Atlanta affiliate) in the 4th round of the G-League Draft over the weekend.

ucaafan

Nice article on Union's Deshon Burgess being selected by the Atlanta Hawks G-League team. Only one of two D-III players selected.

https://www.unionathletics.com/news/2017/10/24/mens-basketball-former-dutchmen-burgess-drafted-to-nba-g-league.aspx

d3d3d3

Skidmore and St. Lawrence also receiving votes in preseason poll:
http://d3hoops.com/top25/men/2017-18/preseason