FB: Landmark Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 10, 2022, 03:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: The Third Division on July 17, 2023, 08:15:28 PM
Thoughts on the landmark partnership with flo sports forcing every game behind a paywall?

I brought my comment over from the D3 Hoops thread.....................

I don't want to "Landmark bash", but after reading Dave's excellent thread on Twitter....................SHAME on you, Landmark Conference. There is squatta redeeming about this deal, for everybody and anybody interested in the Landmark.

You can't put yourself out there as a NESCAC, UAA, heck, even Centennial Conference quasi-equivalent.........and then sign this break-even or even money losing deal. A couple of successful alums could have thrown some pocket change at their respective college or university and made this go away.

First comes two MAC schools and a Keystone invite. Next comes Flo for chump change. I smell Lackawanna and Clarks Summit in the Landmark's future if they are willing to write a small check to be split up by the current schools!

All of the money goes to Flo?!?! THAT is a hard pass from this D3 lover. Even the MAC and the PSAC are snickering at this deal!!

unionpalooza

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 18, 2023, 07:22:24 AM
Thoughts on the landmark partnership with flo sports forcing every game behind a paywall?

I don't want to "Landmark bash", but after reading Dave's excellent thread on Twitter....................SHAME on you, Landmark Conference. There is squatta redeeming about this deal, for everybody and anybody interested in the Landmark.

You can't put yourself out there as a NESCAC, UAA, heck, even Centennial Conference quasi-equivalent.........and then sign this break-even or even money losing deal. A couple of successful alums could have thrown some pocket change at their respective college or university and made this go away.

First comes two MAC schools and a Keystone invite. Next comes Flo for chump change. I smell Lackawanna and Clarks Summit in the Landmark's future if they are willing to write a small check to be split up by the current schools!

All of the money goes to Flo?!?! THAT is a hard pass from this D3 lover. Even the MAC and the PSAC are snickering at this deal!!

100% agree.  Maybe the jump in production values will be worth the cost to most fans, but I have to doubt that - my hunch is all they get is a higher quality stream of the same top-of-the-stadium single camera view that most D3 schools currently have.  Total screw-you to alumni, fans, etc., all to save the very modest expense of a decent stream.  Classic higher-ed decisionmaking - pinching the wrong pennies and fleecing the servants.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: unionpalooza on July 19, 2023, 10:13:37 AM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 18, 2023, 07:22:24 AM

100% agree.  Maybe the jump in production values will be worth the cost to most fans, but I have to doubt that - my hunch is all they get is a higher quality stream of the same top-of-the-stadium single camera view that most D3 schools currently have.  Total screw-you to alumni, fans, etc., all to save the very modest expense of a decent stream.  Classic higher-ed decisionmaking - pinching the wrong pennies and fleecing the servants.

Touche!! Spot on!

This was not a landmark (pun intended) deal!! ;)

HansenRatings

Playoff projections for the season using my model's preseason ratings:

You can look at other conferences on my website: https://hansenratings.github.io/.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

Pat Coleman

Turns out the Landmark is in Region 3, according to the release of the NCAA handbook I reviewed earlier today. Messaged the appropriate person for confirmation, but will move this conversation if true.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 15, 2023, 04:18:33 PM
Turns out the Landmark is in Region 3, according to the release of the NCAA handbook I reviewed earlier today. Messaged the appropriate person for confirmation, but will move this conversation if true.

Conversation might be overstating the activity on this board... although props to jmcozenlaw who really tried. Looking back at his posts from last year, I feel like I failed him because I never checked this board again. Sorry.

But hey, the way things are going this year, maybe Wilkes and W&L will face off again. I'd love to go see that with my dad again, Wilkes class of '71 I believe. Last time W&L got stomped in a first round playoff game. Their first D3 playoff game ever. Maybe in one of these challenge games my dad and I will get to relive the fun!

ExTartanPlayer

Maybe I should start posting here...one of my dad's best friends is a Susquehanna football alum from a long ways back, and Susquehanna running back Tommy Grabowski is a graduate of my high school alma mater, so it's been fun to follow along as he's started to break out this year.

A passing point on that note...something that amazes me about Division 3 football (not that I need to tell people here) is how even some really good high school players struggle to stand out in college.  Casual fans probably assume that any good high school player = Division 3 star.  But my HS has sent a number of very successful high school players to Division 3 over the years, and for every guy that's become a standout (Grabowski breaking out at Susquehanna, Andrew Kase a few years ago at Johns Hopkins) there has been a guy that never really had it all come together.  In some cases that was due to injuries, but several others who were also very successful high-school players just had a few nondescript years.

Anyways, rock on Tommy Grabowski, keep toting the rock for Susquehanna into the playoffs this year!
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

jknezek

**** Cross Posted from the ODAC Board ****

Well... R-MC has sown up the ODAC again. Very impressive. I believe they have lost something like 3 conference games since the end of the 2017 season. Never know what will happen in a rivalry like The Game, but I don't doubt that R-MC is the better team going in. I hope the Jackets make a nice run in the playoffs. They certainly have the tools to be dangerous.

As for the rest of the post-season, lets talk about this year's first ever Chesapeake Challenge, something I find way more exciting than a post-season game against Apprentice! Still lots of possibilities for teams on both the Landmark and ODAC side. The Challenge is set up this year so #2 in the ODAC (or the first ranked team left out of the playoffs, which will be #2 this year) hosts #3 in the Landmark (again, accounting for playoff teams. It is possible that the Landmark could get 2 teams in the playoffs if Lycoming beats Susquehanna to the AQ. Susquehanna will hold one win over a RR opponent in Cortland, possibly 2 with Brockport. Bridgewater losing to W&L didn't help for a third. But Susquehanna would definitely be in the mix for a Pool C if they lose to Lycoming.

The ODAC is much more straight forward. Assuming the order of finish is logical, conference record with ties broken by head to head, W&L has 2nd place and hosting duties locked up. Even an upset by Shenandoah won't knock W&L out of second as they would have, at most, 2 conference losses. The only other teams that can tie with 2 conference losses are Bridgewater and H-SC, and W&L holds h2h wins against both.

So that leaves the ODAC 3rd place, and the trip to the Landmark's first non-NCAA playoff team, up for grabs. There are two teams in play, Bridgewater who hosts Guilford and H-SC who travels to Ashland. In theory, if both H-SC and Bridgewater lose, and Shenandoah beats W&L, they could all be 4-3 in conference. But both H-SC and Bridgewater hold head to head wins over Shenandoah.

Bridgewater, by the slimmest of 1 pt margins, has the head to head over H-SC. So if Bridgewater beats Guilford they should be the third place ODAC team and travel to the first non-NCAA Landmark team. If Bridgewater loses, and H-SC upsets R-MC in The Game, then H-SC would hold 3rd place in the ODAC. If both Bridgewater and H-SC lose, Bridgewater with the h2h should get the nod.

Sorting out the Landmark is somewhat harder.

First scenario is easier.... Susquehanna beats Lycoming at home. Susquehanna gets the AQ, Lycoming is farther from the running for a Pool C than W&L. At this point, Lycoming is 4-2 in conference and the only thing that matters is who wins the Wilkes at Moravian game. If Wilkes wins, Wilkes will get the 2nd spot and host 3rd in the ODAC, as they have a head to head over Lycoming, and Lycoming will travel to W&L. If Moravian wins, Lycoming will be second in the Landmark courtesy of a head to head, they will host 3rd in the ODAC and Moravian will travel to W&L.

Second scenario... Lycoming beats Susquehanna for the AQ. Susquehanna will be second in the Landmark courtesy of the head to head loss. If they don't get a Pool C, they will host ODAC #3, and the winner of Wilkes at Moravian will travel to W&L.

Third scenario... If Susquehanna does get a Pool C, then the winner of Wilkes at Moravian is the Landmark host. The Landmark travel team will be Moravian if Wilkes wins, courtesy of a head to head over Catholic. If Moravian wins, it will be Catholic travelling to Lexington courtesy of a head to head over Wilkes if they beat hapless Juniata.

One thing I like about these post-season games is that it gives teams more to play for the last week or two of the season. Sadly it doesn't look like I'll get the W&L hosting Wilkes game I was hoping for, my alma mater vs my parents. My dad and I had made plans to travel to that game if it would have happened. But maybe over the next couple contract years we will get the chance.

As for how I think this all shakes out? R-MC (AQ), W&L (host Chesapeake Challenge), Bridgewater (travel CC), Susquehanna (AQ), Lycoming (host CC), Moravian (travel CC) seems most likely to me. Prior to Wilkes losing to Catholic last weekend, I would have thought they would have taken second in the Landmark, pushing Lycoming to the travel spot. But that was not a good loss for Wilkes. I just don't see Bridgewater losing to Guilford or Susquehanna losing to Lycoming. That leaves only Moravian hosting Wilkes to sort stuff out.

Of course, all this is dependent on using head to head to break placement ties. If there is something else in the documents, then I've wasted my time.

jknezek

W&L and Wilkes claim hosting for Chesapeake Challenge. Bridgewater posts a game at Wilkes, Lycoming claims bowl birth. So the matchups will be as I thought.

W&L hosting Lycoming, Wilkes hosting Bridgewater. Not the matchup I was hoping for, but should be interesting to see how these conferences stack up.