FB: Centennial Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amish Allstar

Very lengthy, comprehensive and informative preview on F&M.  Now just waiting on Muhlenberg, Dickinson, Ursinus and Hopkins.

mandfense

Interesting that in the D3Football kickoff, Johns Hopkins is predicted to go 7-3 and 3-3 in conference.  This would mean they would be 4-0 out of conference, and win on the road at Hampden-Sydney, yet Hampden-Sydney is predicted to go 10-0.  It's been a while since I've been in school, but I don't think that's mathematically possible.   ::)

Also on the Hampden-Sydney front, I'm not doubting Ricca is a great player, but last time I checked, he doesn't play defense.  The Royals have a better shot at going to the World Series than Hampden-Sydney going undefeated during the season with a defense that was terrible last year and has 8 new starters.   ;D

Pat Coleman

Even more interesting, mandfense, is that the same writer wrote both of those predictions.

I can't help him if he is going to blow something like that. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

mandfense

I was just busting chops a little bit Pat.   ;D  1st year doing it and 200+ teams to cover, you can't expect everything to be perfect, but it looks great from what I read so far.

Amish Allstar

I agree! It is nice to finally have something about D3 football other that the page that it is given in most major publications that cater to D1

Have only read about the CC but from what i have read i have enjoyed!

Terror82

mizzou_mafia

Quote from: terror82 on August 24, 2005, 02:18:37 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 18, 2005, 02:26:34 PM
How much are you getting paid for running that ad on our site?

?

Terror82,  Your signature isn't exactly showing a McDaniel helmet like I think you intended.

Pat Coleman

Yeah -- I'm thinking you are wayyy in violation of Helmet Project's terms of service by linking to it here.

Same with you, mandfense. Just like I don't like it when people copy and paste other people's stories onto the message board, this isn't acceptable use either.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

GoDips71

Getting back to the topic.

This website and the efforts of its staff should be commended for their hard work and effort for giving D3 football the respect it deserves. I consider myself truly privileged having had the opportunity to play D3 ball and feel comforted by the fact that this website gives others an opportunity to find out what D3 ball is all about.

With respect to the CC, this is going be a very competitive conference once again.  There is no one standout team that is going to destroy the competition, but rather a good balance of solid, well-coached teams.  While I expect my alma mater, F&M, to have a good season, I think it may be a little unrealistic to have them going 10-0 as suggested in the Kickoff, particularly in light of the fact that they only have 4 home games this season and 6 on the road.  Should be interesting though....

Go Dips!

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Quote from: mandfense on August 23, 2005, 10:28:32 PM
Interesting that in the D3Football kickoff, Johns Hopkins is predicted to go 7-3 and 3-3 in conference.  This would mean they would be 4-0 out of conference, and win on the road at Hampden-Sydney, yet Hampden-Sydney is predicted to go 10-0.  It's been a while since I've been in school, but I don't think that's mathematically possible.   ::)

Lets keep in mind that the CC and ODAC author also had the ACFC, making that 20 teams he had to cover.

It's also true that more eyes than just his looked over these previews before they were released :)

Honestly, I think all the authors did a fantastic job ... I've read almost 50% of the material, and felt like I got my moneys worth after the first 5%!

You authors keep in mind that for every one complaint (or busting of chops) vocalized, there are 100 compliments that won't be.
Former Publisher of BridgewaterFootball.com

Amish Allstar

Go Dips71:

Gotta agree with you there.  Although it would be nice it will be very difficult to walk away in the regular season with a 10-0 record.   As if the CC isnt going to be tough, the Dips also play some good out of conference teams.

Hobart: Only loss during regualr season came to the Dips.  Lost some people including RB Ty Godihno (spelling) and OL Alex Bell.  But do come back with the QB, who did throw for over 2,000 yards.  Dips travel to Geneva this year on Sept 17th, which should be a good measuring stick for this years team.

Union:  Havent played Union for quite some time but correct me if i am wrong i dont believe they have had a losing record in quite some time now.

Carnegie Mellon: Seems to always give F&M trouble.  Not sure if it is the wing t or what but they always give the dips fits.  They come to Lancaster this year and i think we will finally get a "W" against them but they are well coached and some tough SOBs.

Like you said cant wait for the season to start and it will be a very interesting year in the CC.

GoDips71

That was my thinking...the road-heavy schedule coupled with tough non-league opponents (like Mellon, Union, and Hobart) and the unpredictable nature of injuries makes it unlikely for a perfect regular season.  I played for the '96 squad that went 9-1 in the regular season...and trust me, it's not easy....They will likely drop one of the games to the non-league teams, but could run the table in the CC and make a long overdue visit to the playoffs.

Hobart is always tough.  I never played against Union, but it would be hard to find a better model of consistency and winning tradition.  Mellon has always given F&M fits (and a lot of scars from their old turf) - I have a lot of respect for that program.  They are physical and pound the ball right at you.  Plus, they are a good school with smart kids and consistently have winning seasons.  I have a lot more respect for schools like that than I do for programs that are just football mills and can get just about anyone in.....I don't need to name names, as they know who they are.....

mandfense

GoDips71

Thanks for the post on Hopkins' preview.  As expected, Hopkins looks to be solid once again.  I was a bit disappointed in the preview in that there was no analysis or information concerning the incoming freshman players. It looks like they brought in around 30 - not a bad number considering the admission requirements. 

BTW, did Hopkins resurface their field this year?  I remember hearing something in that regard - perhaps it was last year.  Whatever they used has to be better than the crap they had on the field.

Should be good year in the CC!!!

Go Dips.

Pat Coleman