BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmitzel

Quote from: robertgoulet on June 13, 2018, 08:52:28 AM
Quote from: Kovo on June 06, 2018, 09:10:42 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 06, 2018, 07:19:17 PM
Wonder if he'll sign. Any idea?

I haven't heard but I agree that the bonus won't be much.  But a huge opportunity to improve his status for next year's draft.

Based on a tweet from NCC yesterday, it appears that he signed. At least that's what I assume he was signing in the picture!

That's the vibe I got too.

I went and looked at the Braves' draft tracker and they haven't updated with anything on Mateja's signing. But then again, they also said he went to the wrong North Central (Minnesota instead of Illinois).
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

AndOne

As many of you are aware, North Central's Michael Wisz was a bit of a force this season.
Although listed as only a sophomore eligibility wise this year, Mike graduated from NCC with a degree management  this past Saturday. At this point, he is undecided as to whether he'll enroll in NCC's Graduate Studies Program next year, and continue his baseball career.

Kovo

Quote from: lmitzel on June 13, 2018, 09:40:05 AM

I haven't heard but I agree that the bonus won't be much.  But a huge opportunity to improve his status for next year's draft.

Based on a tweet from NCC yesterday, it appears that he signed. At least that's what I assume he was signing in the picture!

I went and looked at the Braves' draft tracker and they haven't updated with anything on Mateja's signing. But then again, they also said he went to the wrong North Central (Minnesota instead of Illinois).

According to the MLB website Mateja signed for a $100,000 bonus.

Kovo

Quote from: Kovo on June 19, 2018, 11:31:41 PM

Can anyone recall a CCIW athlete, (in any sport), giving up his final year of eligibility to sign with a professional team after being drafted?  I don't think that NCC has ever had this situation.

Gregory Sager

Yes, it happened just last year. A Carthage soccer player gave up his final two years of eligibility in order to sign with an English Premier League's developmental squad.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Can't recall whether he had been drafted, but in 2006 IWU's Cory Lipinski gave up his senior year to play pro baseball.

Jim Dixon

The answer is no.  Not a bad draft as two made the show

2006 Draft

251. Mike Eisenberg, Marietta, rhp, Cleveland (8)
339. Thomas Vessella, Whittier, lhp, Houston (11)
361. Cole Kimball, Centenary, rhp, Washington (12)
399. Chris Salamida, Oneonta State, lhp, Houston Astros (13)
483. Raymond Stokes, Cal State East Bay, 2b, San Diego (16)
504. Chris Heisey, Messiah, cf, Cincinnati (17)
511. Erik Arnesen, Grove City, rhp, Washington (17)
543. Garner Wetzel, RF, Millsaps, rf, San Diego (18)
664. Timothy Stronach, Worcester State, rhp, New York NL (22)   
886. Will Groff, Cortland State, 2b, St Louis (29)
994. Teddy Dziuba, Babson, c, New York NL (33) 
1095. Matt Enuco, Rowan, 2b, Chicago AL (36)
1126. Logan Collier, Guilford, rhp, St Louis (37)
1153. Travis Beazley, Randolph Macon, rhp, Boston (38)
1200. Ted Serro, Franklin and Marshall,  rhp, Toronto (40)
1215. Andy Mead, Cortland State, of, Chicago AL (40)
1290. Cory Anderson, Coast Guard, rhp, Washington (43)
1379. Kyle Johnson, Chapman, rhp, New York NL (46)

mr_b

Quote from: Kovo on June 20, 2018, 08:53:21 AM
Can anyone recall a CCIW athlete, (in any sport), giving up his final year of eligibility to sign with a professional team after being drafted?  I don't think that NCC has ever had this situation.
Steve Schilsky of IWU was drafted by Oakland in 2002 and played three seasons on Low A ball.  He was listed as a junior on the 2002 IWU roster.

robertgoulet

Mateja went 1-4 with a run scored in his first game. Congrats!!!
You win! You always do!

AndOne

Quote from: robertgoulet on June 23, 2018, 10:52:33 PM

Michael is playing with the Danville VA Braves. They are an Advanced Rookie-level team in the Appalachian League, and have been a farm team of the Atlanta Braves since 1982.

Kovo

Quote from: AndOne on June 24, 2018, 02:11:46 PM
Quote from: robertgoulet on June 23, 2018, 10:52:33 PM

Michael is playing with the Danville VA Braves. They are an Advanced Rookie-level team in the Appalachian League, and have been a farm team of the Atlanta Braves since 1982.

Mateja has been promoted to the Class A Rome Braves after having batted .304 for the two Braves rookie league affiliates. 

BigPoppa

Quote from: Kovo on June 20, 2018, 08:53:21 AM
Quote from: Kovo on June 19, 2018, 11:31:41 PM

Carthage's Jim Miller signed with the Brewers after his junior season in '97. 10th round draft pick. While he graduated after his junior year, he still had a season of eligibility left.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

BigPoppa

Does anyone know if Carthage is NOT going on a Spring Trip this year?  Their schedule is out and has no trip on it... if so, it's the first time I can ever recall them not taking a trip. They have a very early spring break (first week of March) that may be factoring into that.

Anyone know more details?

Gregory Sager

There are only four non-conference games listed on the Carthage schedule page, so I'm sure that there are more games pending that haven't been posted yet.

North Park is taking four pre-conference road trips. The weekend of February 15-17 the Vikings will be in Montgomery, AL to face Huntingdon, Spalding, and UW-Whitewater. The next weekend, February 23-24, they return to the Yellowhammer State to face DePauw, Alma, and Thomas More at Birmingham-Southern (not sure why the Vikes aren't playing BSC). And the weekend after that, March 2-3, they'll take their usual trip down to the St. Louis area to face Webster, Benedictine, and Buena Vista. The following weekend NPU heads down to Fort Pierce, FL for the annual spring break trip, which will feature a one-day side trip to Vero Beach on Sunday, March 10 to face Gettysburg at the Historic Dodgertown complex, which sounds pretty cool.

There are only 39 games listed, so Luke Johnson has the flexibility to add another game at some point. I like the fact that, as of the moment, all of the non-conference schedule will be finished for NPU by the time CCIW play begins on Wednesday, March 27. The CCIW sked is so crammed with midweek games as it is, why make things even harder on your pitching staff in late March, April, and early May than it already is?

It blows my mind that opening day of NPU's baseball season is only three weeks and three days away. Yesterday the temperature was in the teens, and on Friday we're predicted to have a high of only six degrees.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

Six would be balmy here this week.... I saw a posted temp of -42* in Northern MN yesterday.

I will still be ice fishing when the CCIW starts playing.