FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDB

It was a hard fought game until the very end. I didn't have a problem with the last couple plays. The refs seemed all concerned when the clock ran out trying to stay in between the teams as they came off the sidelines to the middle of the field. But all they did was shake hands like normal.

Since these schools are so close in proximity I hope they keep scheduling each other in the future.

AO

Quote from: USTBench on September 12, 2017, 09:58:57 AM
Quote from: finsleft on September 12, 2017, 09:47:41 AM
Quote from: stoutguy on September 12, 2017, 07:18:16 AM
Quote from: badger1845 on September 12, 2017, 12:25:45 AM
Out of country for 2 weeks and come back to find some big surprises.  How did Stout pull out a W over UST?  It's a tough one for me as I don't like Stout (EC grad), but it is the WIAC.  And is Concordia finally going to break through to the playoffs?  I've thought they had solid teams for a few years, but maybe this is the one.  Definitely setting up for an interesting year as conference play closes in.
Funny. I am an EC grad also, and I don't like EC.  Stout won the game on Sat. because they played a team that was not used to losing, did not lose with class, and Stout cashed in.
  Stout will win some games in the WIAC.  Was a pleasure watching the game with BDB and USTbench.  USTbench and I have some mutual friends and he watched what most have been a painful outcome with class. 
Can't say the same about his team.
So...how does a team lose with class? Was there something specific they did/didn't do? Like not shake hands, or what?

#justcurious

I wouldn't say "team." 91 rushed the victory formation and bulled over the center and QB. There was about 38 seconds left and UST had one timeout. Kind of conflicted on that move. Wasn't exactly like Mount Union in the 2012 Stagg Bowl where they were down multiple scores (miracles can happen, I guess), buuuuuut, the odds the snap would be fumbled, you'd recover and they'd have time to take ashot was about nil. But TECHNICALLY, it's still a football play and Stout should have treated it as such, but I can see their point.

Stout's sideline went nuts (as I would have, had it happened to my team), 91 was penalized (but I'm not sure why, nothing about it was really illegal) but the teams shook hands.

Kind of an ethical grey area in my book, but I think it's somewhat on Stout as well. In my opinion, if you're not up two scores you play it out.
Mount was up multiple scores but St. Thomas had all their timeouts left.  Completely different situation to me.   I'd say you shouldn't start taking knees until you can run out the clock. 

BDB

On another note, the Gophers have settled on Rhoda as their QB going forward.

Team motto: "Rhoda Boat"   ;D

jamtod

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on September 12, 2017, 10:06:22 AM
It was a hard fought game until the very end. I didn't have a problem with the last couple plays. The refs seemed all concerned when the clock ran out trying to stay in between the teams as they came off the sidelines to the middle of the field. But all they did was shake hands like normal.

Since these schools are so close in proximity I hope they keep scheduling each other in the future.

This was the second year of a home and home. Is there any indication if it'll be on the schedule again next year?

jamtod

Quote from: USTBench on September 12, 2017, 09:58:57 AM
Quote from: finsleft on September 12, 2017, 09:47:41 AM
Quote from: stoutguy on September 12, 2017, 07:18:16 AM
Quote from: badger1845 on September 12, 2017, 12:25:45 AM
Out of country for 2 weeks and come back to find some big surprises.  How did Stout pull out a W over UST?  It's a tough one for me as I don't like Stout (EC grad), but it is the WIAC.  And is Concordia finally going to break through to the playoffs?  I've thought they had solid teams for a few years, but maybe this is the one.  Definitely setting up for an interesting year as conference play closes in.
Funny. I am an EC grad also, and I don't like EC.  Stout won the game on Sat. because they played a team that was not used to losing, did not lose with class, and Stout cashed in.
  Stout will win some games in the WIAC.  Was a pleasure watching the game with BDB and USTbench.  USTbench and I have some mutual friends and he watched what most have been a painful outcome with class. 
Can't say the same about his team.
So...how does a team lose with class? Was there something specific they did/didn't do? Like not shake hands, or what?

#justcurious

I wouldn't say "team." 91 rushed the victory formation and bulled over the center and QB. There was about 38 seconds left and UST had one timeout. Kind of conflicted on that move. Wasn't exactly like Mount Union in the 2012 Stagg Bowl where they were down multiple scores (miracles can happen, I guess), buuuuuut, the odds the snap would be fumbled, you'd recover and they'd have time to take ashot was about nil. But TECHNICALLY, it's still a football play and Stout should have treated it as such, but I can see their point.

Stout's sideline went nuts (as I would have, had it happened to my team), 91 was penalized (but I'm not sure why, nothing about it was really illegal) but the teams shook hands.

Kind of an ethical grey area in my book, but I think it's somewhat on Stout as well. In my opinion, if you're not up two scores you play it out.

I was wondering about that. If you want to make a case that it's classless or unethical, by all means, but I'm having a hard time understanding what the penalty was. The first one was maybe an encroachment call, where he jumped before the snap? The second one, I'm not quite sure. I could easily see the QB dropping the snap in that situation.

sjusection105

Quote from: jamtoTommie on September 12, 2017, 11:18:28 AM
I was wondering about that. If you want to make a case that it's classless or unethical, by all means, but I'm having a hard time understanding what the penalty was. The first one was maybe an encroachment call, where he jumped before the snap? The second one, I'm not quite sure. I could easily see the QB dropping the snap in that situation.
I haven't watched the film on the game,and don't plan to,but I'm just wondering if he was running his mouth & the ref didn't like it?  I'm just sayin' it's a possibility.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

SJUrube

Be careful carrying all that water. Wouldn't want you to spill it. I guess when this stuff pops up so often you have plenty of practice carrying it so spilling probably isn't a concern.

retagent

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on September 12, 2017, 10:52:03 AM
On another note, the Gophers have settled on Rhoda as their QB going forward.

Team motto: "Rhoda Boat"   ;D

I was/am skeptical about Fleck, and his "methods" after seeing the hype (Being P J Fleck). But I did like the crispness that they showed vs Oregon State. Also, it seems as though one of his deals is having the players hand the ball to the officials, or, at any rate, not having a show of "Look at meism" when the play is over. I like that.

USTBench

Quote from: sjusection105 on September 12, 2017, 11:30:56 AM
Quote from: jamtoTommie on September 12, 2017, 11:18:28 AM
I haven't watched the film on the game,and don't plan to,but I'm just wondering if he was running his mouth & the ref didn't like it?  I'm just sayin' it's a possibility.

Both teams were talking a bit, but I don't think it was anything out of the ordinary for a close game. Optically, it looked bad, but if you REALLY think about the situation, and all of the crazy things that can happen in D3, I really don't see much wrong with what #91 did.

The more I think about it, if you're only up one score and there's plenty of time on the clock (30+ seconds) you really should run a play, or, if you're going to do the victory formation, know you still should block. The o-line for Stout probably should have blocked as if it was a QB sneak or at least anchored themselves like it was a pass play so the QB could get away quick and take a knee or just dive down.
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

USTBench

Quote from: SJUrube on September 12, 2017, 11:40:14 AM
Be careful carrying all that water. Wouldn't want you to spill it. I guess when this stuff pops up so often you have plenty of practice carrying it so spilling probably isn't a concern.

Objectively speaking, taking UST and Caruso out of the equation, and replace them with SJU. You're down 3, you have one time out and the other team has the ball and is in the victory formation. If they fumble the snap and you recover, you have the ball at midfield and one timeout. What do you do?

AO

MIAC PICK-EMS
WEEK 2 STANDINGS
I threw out the Chowder Bowl since I didn't note it was a Friday night game and we had some Saturday pickers.

WEEK 3 Sep. 16

Conference: 3pts
Gustavus @ Ausburg (+6.5)
Bethel (+14.5) @ #23 Concordia
#7 St. John's @ St. Olaf (+45.5)
#10 St. Thomas @ Carleton (+50.5)

National: 1pt
#1 Mary Hardin-Baylor @ #6 Linfield (+7.5)
#16 Illinois Wesleyan (+7.5) @ #5 North Central

BDB

Quote from: USTBench on September 12, 2017, 11:42:45 AM
The more I think about it, if you're only up one score and there's plenty of time on the clock (30+ seconds) you really should run a play, or, if you're going to do the victory formation, know you still should block. The o-line for Stout probably should have blocked as if it was a QB sneak or at least anchored themselves like it was a pass play so the QB could get away quick and take a knee or just dive down.

I agree. Ha, I guess the Blue Devils are a little rusty as to the victory formation. Haven't had cause to use it too much the past few years. Time to tighten it up.

USTBench

UWP struggled quite a bit against George Fox it seems. If Stout can pull another one out this weekend I'll feel a bit better about UST.

BDB

Quote from: USTBench on September 12, 2017, 01:40:58 PM
UWP struggled quite a bit against George Fox it seems. If Stout can pull another one out this weekend I'll feel a bit better about UST.

Stout doesn't play again until September 30th. This Saturday was a bye week and then the game scheduled for the 23rd got cancelled right before the season so it's an extended 2 bye weeks.

USTBench

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on September 12, 2017, 01:46:56 PM
Quote from: USTBench on September 12, 2017, 01:40:58 PM

Stout doesn't play again until September 30th. This Saturday was a bye week and then the game scheduled for the 23rd got cancelled right before the season so it's an extended 2 bye weeks.

Oh yes. Trinity Bible College and their 17 players. For the best probably.