BB: Regionals (Midwest) Oshkosh '08, '09, Whitewater '10, '11

Started by Ralph Turner, May 11, 2008, 11:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

One has to assume that every #1 seed has to be the favorite to win it's regional. Still, with that being said I think that UWSP caught a break by moving to the Central and Carthage gets unlucky by moving to the Midwest.

The Cathage/UWO  and the Whitewater/CSS matchups are going to be great first round games.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

ShineTime

As much as I love Point I'm going to not get too far ahead of myself.  Let's not forget that Point's success has come at Witter Field and their not going to be there this year.  Point tends to play to their level of competition some times which has hurt them during the regular season the past 3 years.  What are the field dimensions where they are playing?  Like I've said in the past if Point's not hitting home runs they struggle to score because their not the best team at stringing hits together.  Let's also not forget that there really are some quality teams in their regional but obviously not as talented as the Midwest regional.  I'm going to pick St. Thomas to win the regional primarily because I don't believe anyone will be hitting Lonnie Robinson any time soon.  If Nix can perform like he did against Whitewater I'll pick Point in their regional but if he doesn't than I'll take Wartburg.

BaseballFan

Quote from: mwunder on May 12, 2008, 02:13:22 PM

How can you talk about one and not the other?  If Carthage is a 5 as you indicate they should be, then it's not as bad as having to play the host school.  As for them being a 5, are you serious?  They're 35-8...only 8 teams in DIII have 35 wins or more.

Wow....talk about making the baseball gods angry!  You realize they could just as easily have none.

Dude I was just talking about the seed thats all give it a rest, they are not as good as UWO or CSS. Overall record doesnt mean that much, CSS and STT would have 35 wins too if they played all their games. They enter the regional going 5-7 in their last 12, hardly the sign of a 3rd seed.

I dont know what that last quote means either just saying  they have the potential to get 2 teams since they are in 2 different conferences. Heck I hope they get none

BaseballFan

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 12, 2008, 02:18:23 PM
One has to assume that every #1 seed has to be the favorite to win it's regional. Still, with that being said I think that UWSP caught a break by moving to the Central and Carthage gets unlucky by moving to the Midwest.

The Cathage/UWO  and the Whitewater/CSS matchups are going to be great first round games.

Agreed! And two good matchups early

OshDude

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 12, 2008, 12:27:50 PM
WOW... Carthage getting shipped out is a shock to me. They were the #2 CCIW team and it only makes sense that the #3 CCIW team should be shipped. Augustana did not get shipped as they are the host for the Central regional. UWO did not get shipped as they are the WIAC's #3 and the host school.

It feels as if it is better to be the #3 school in the WiAC/CCIW than the #2. Both #2s got shipped to different regions.

The pre-determined regional sites clearly had an bearing on the regionals.
It's maybe comparing apples and volleyball, but the Whitewater women won the WIAC regular season and the WIAC tourney, were the No. 2 ranked team in the region and were still shipped to St. Thomas (the other regional was down the road in Kenosha). Even after that movement, two WIAC teams faced each other in the opening round.

I think the movement among the regions is for competitive balance. It appeared that way in volleyball anyway. Read whatever you want into the NCAA's thinking about which was made stronger or weaker. I don't really know which region got a break in the swap, but others may have an opinion. But I think that's why the move was made.

OshDude

Quote from: BaseballFan on May 12, 2008, 01:41:55 PM
Quote from: mwunder on May 12, 2008, 12:09:03 PM
Quote from: BaseballFan on May 12, 2008, 08:30:27 AM
3. I thought Carthage was given a gift to get the 3 seed after going 5-7 in the last 12 games

How is a game against the host team a gift?

Not talking about who they are playing just their ranking! they should of been 5. Yes UWO is the host but UWW is the best team with STT right behind them. So Im more happy to be playing UWO if Im Carthage then CSS having to play UWW.

Stevens Point gets a huge break not having to play in the Midwest and has to be the favorite to win the Central. Looks like the WIAC could possibly have 2 teams in the world series
I'm not so sure Point is the favorite to win its first game.

BaseballFan

Hey Oshdude, how many teams ended up being shipped out of their own region? and how many are flying? I figured you might know and this way I dont have to look up every team to see their exact location. Thanks if you dont know thats alright

OshDude

Quote from: BaseballFan on May 12, 2008, 07:27:44 PM
Hey Oshdude, how many teams ended up being shipped out of their own region? and how many are flying? I figured you might know and this way I dont have to look up every team to see their exact location. Thanks if you dont know thats alright
Flights (5): Linfield, Chapman, George Fox, East Bay, La Verne.
There were five flights last year as well.

Movers ( 8 ): Carthage, Johns Hopkins, Grove City, Ohio Wesleyan, ECSU, Montclair, Stevens Point, Linfield (I just eyeballed those. May have missed one).
Last year there were three movers, by my count.

OshDude

If you have never been to EJ, I replied to a question on the CCIW board detailing the field.
As for fans, I advise you to set up camp far down the third base side, where there are no pipes, fences or screens to obstruct your view. The other seats provide cover (and poorer sight lines) or are directly behind the plate (and traffic in front of you), but trust me. The far reaches of the third base line is where it's at. Either that or the first row, and all the way to the right, of the one section of seating next to the first base dugout. You'll thank me later.

Please save me a seat. You can have it right back as I shuttle back and forth to class.

OshDude

Saw on the coaches' info link on the regional page that Knox and Whitewater don't have a scheduled Tuesday practice at UWO's home field. The other four do. School conflicts for Knox and WW? Hard to imagine UWO wouldn't have the field available before 3 p.m., when the first team, Oshkosh, is scheduled for practice.

BaseballFan

Quote from: OshDude on May 13, 2008, 12:32:37 AM
Saw on the coaches' info link on the regional page that Knox and Whitewater don't have a scheduled Tuesday practice at UWO's home field. The other four do. School conflicts for Knox and WW? Hard to imagine UWO wouldn't have the field available before 3 p.m., when the first team, Oshkosh, is scheduled for practice.

Some teams just choose to not practice at the field. They might have practice schedule at another field so they can get their entire practice in. Since you only get an hour, its only enough time to do some infield/outfield work and cant get any BP in. 1 or 2 teams did it last year as well

School conflicts could be a problem as well

knarocky22

Augustana's field is 325 down the lines and 395 to center.  I don't remember for sure what it is in the gaps (370 or 375 I think).  It is a great complex and is only 5 years old.  The field is great.  It has a great atmosphere for baseball.  Here are some pics.

http://www.augustana.edu/x3976.xml

http://www.augustana.edu/x3977.xml

http://www.augustana.edu/x3980.xml

REDMENFAN

"Dude I was just talking about the seed thats all give it a rest, they are not as good as UWO or CSS."

The second part of that statement caught my attention. Have you seen all 3 teams play? If so then I guess you are qualified to make that statement.  Obviously all 3 teams are top tier, but to say Carthage isn't as good as those two teams after winning 20 something in a row last year and advancing to the WS, and winning 24 in a row this year, I just think that's not a very smart thing to guess or assume.  Momentum plays a huge part in baseball, and with seniors Krepline and Baitinger going down (Baitinger is now back playing with a brace on his wrist) that was a big blow to the the Redmen that took a while to adjust to.  You may very well be right that UWO and CSS  are better than Carthage, but I'd wait til this weekend to make that statement, especially basing it on the last 2 weeks of the season.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: knarocky22 on May 13, 2008, 10:49:48 AM
Augustana's field is 325 down the lines and 395 to center.  I don't remember for sure what it is in the gaps (370 or 375 I think).  It is a great complex and is only 5 years old.  The field is great.  It has a great atmosphere for baseball.  Here are some pics.

http://www.augustana.edu/x3976.xml

http://www.augustana.edu/x3977.xml

http://www.augustana.edu/x3980.xml

Nice looking facility.   Not much different down the lines from Wittier Field (5 feet) but center is about 20 feet deeper (375 ft - Wittier) and if the gaps are 370-375 ft they'll be deeper to.  Point definitely benefits when the fences are short.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

BaseballFan

Quote from: REDMENFAN on May 13, 2008, 11:14:27 AM
"Dude I was just talking about the seed thats all give it a rest, they are not as good as UWO or CSS."

The second part of that statement caught my attention. Have you seen all 3 teams play? If so then I guess you are qualified to make that statement.  Obviously all 3 teams are top tier, but to say Carthage isn't as good as those two teams after winning 20 something in a row last year and advancing to the WS, and winning 24 in a row this year, I just think that's not a very smart thing to guess or assume.  Momentum plays a huge part in baseball, and with seniors Krepline and Baitinger going down (Baitinger is now back playing with a brace on his wrist) that was a big blow to the the Redmen that took a while to adjust to.  You may very well be right that UWO and CSS  are better than Carthage, but I'd wait til this weekend to make that statement, especially basing it on the last 2 weeks of the season.

I apologize you are right I might be making assumptions, I havent seen Carthage play but have seen all the MIAC/WIAC/UMAC play...Big win streaks are nice, but when there isnt much competitiion in those games its not as impressive (Take Hawaii in football). I hope Carthage beats Oshkosh (sorry Oshdude) so I hope they are as good as you say they are