FB: Region 3 fan poll

Started by Pat Coleman, June 23, 2008, 10:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill McCabe

Ron,  I thought it was interesting that Millsaps went 5 wide most of the time and then went to the wishbone on the goalline.

Llamaguy

Quote from: Bill McCabe on November 03, 2008, 08:09:11 AM
Quote from: Llamaguy on November 02, 2008, 10:25:57 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 02, 2008, 07:38:50 PM
I don't understand how anyone can in good conscience be voting Muhlenberg #1 in this region.  Their competition is mediocre (143rd in OWP) and they have struggled to put away some teams they are much better than (average MOV:  18.4 pts but only 8.5 pts against their last two .500 opponents).  Contrast that with Millsaps (30th in OWP) whose closest win has been by 20 points, and who has leveled the three best D3 teams on their schedule (then-healthy Miss Coll, DePauw, Trinity) by over 35 points per game.  Millsaps' average margin of victory is 32.4 ppg.

So ... I'd be interested in hearing anyone's rationale for voting Muhlenberg over Millsaps at this point in the season. 

No quabbles here Ron. I am just waiting to see things settle themselves out in the playoffs. Millsaps vs. UMHB/HSU for the Southern end of the South bracket and Muhlenberg vs. Wesley for the Northern end. Still more games to be played, but that is the way I see it shaking out come playoff time.

Interestingly enough, my Top 5 have not changed since the Poll on week 5. They are obviously not in the same order as the entire group's picks but include the same top 5 teams. I have been high on Millsaps since Week 1, like #3 in the region back then, even had them #4 in my preseason ranking. They are not my #1 though, YET!  :o

llamaguy,  how do you see Millsaps playing HSU?  Would that be a 2nd round game?  Just wondering?

Yes sir, right after UMHB vs HSU in week one of the playoffs.
"The Dali Llama"

Bridgewater Football 1980,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005 ODAC Champions!

exmajor

Quote from: Bill McCabe on November 03, 2008, 12:13:50 PM
Ron,  I thought it was interesting that Millsaps went 5 wide most of the time and then went to the wishbone on the goalline.

Even in the bone, the running plays were mostly toss sweeps or a QB sneak on the goaline.  The spread attack is difficult to run inside the 10 yard line, but I thought Millsaps did well going under center and converting points in the redzone.  This team can run if they want to, but have not needed it this year.

Bill McCabe

llamaguy, so you have UMHB and HSU in the first round?  :-\

frank_ezelle

Quote from: Wes Anderson on November 02, 2008, 09:16:17 PM
I don't think that Trinity's playoff failures have anything to do with where Millsaps is in relation to the Mules in Week 8 of 2008.  Millsaps was there once, and they weren't a very good football team when they went.

What Wes writes is true but let's make sure people understand the context.  The 2005 Millsaps team was 2-7 with those two wins being 1-point victories.  The 1-point win over Rhodes left Rhodes at 0-6 and last in the SCAC and it "lifted" Millsaps to 1-5 and next to last. 

Coach DuBose was promoted to head coach in April or May of 2006 so he didn't really have a chance to recruit, and yet he turned the 2005 team into the 2006 Champions.  There was no depth and by the end of the year the top running back was a freshman who had hardly played until the 8th game.  With star running back Tyson Roy out of the mix, Millsaps rushed 19 times for 5 yards in that playoff game.

Millsaps simply wore down against CM and a 0-0 halftime score became a 0-21 loss.  Anyone who thinks that's the 2006 Millsaps team that was in the Playoffs is anything representative of the 2008 team is simply way off base.  That 2006 team was the "Miracle in Mississippi" before the other "Miracle in Mississippi", but they just didn't have enough left in the tank after beating Trinity 7 days prior to have to travel to Pittsburgh to play at CM.

Millsaps Athletics:  http://www.gomajors.com/
Millsaps Photo Website:  http://gomajors.smugmug.com/

Llamaguy

Quote from: Bill McCabe on November 03, 2008, 12:26:53 PM
llamaguy, so you have UMHB and HSU in the first round?  :-\

Yeah. I agree with Ralph's predictions on the playoff thread. Millsaps vs Huntingdon / LaGrange invitee in week one. Then HSU?UMHB winner at Millsaps in round 2.
Top half would be Catholic/HSC, CNU/Ferrum, Muhlenburg, & Wesley
"The Dali Llama"

roocru

Quote from: Llamaguy on November 03, 2008, 12:12:14 PM
I do have my usual front row spot on the 50yrdline at the Stagg and a group of about 15 BC faithful ready to welcome you to Salem tough.

My son and I are looking forward to sampling Stone Station cuisine again!  ;) See you in in December!!  :D
Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

MajorDad

Quote from: frank_ezelle on November 03, 2008, 12:56:36 PM
Quote from: Wes Anderson on November 02, 2008, 09:16:17 PM
I don't think that Trinity's playoff failures have anything to do with where Millsaps is in relation to the Mules in Week 8 of 2008.  Millsaps was there once, and they weren't a very good football team when they went.

What Wes writes is true but let's make sure people understand the context.  The 2005 Millsaps team was 2-7 with those two wins being 1-point victories.  The 1-point win over Rhodes left Rhodes at 0-6 and last in the SCAC and it "lifted" Millsaps to 1-5 and next to last. 

Coach DuBose was promoted to head coach in April or May of 2006 so he didn't really have a chance to recruit, and yet he turned the 2005 team into the 2006 Champions.  There was no depth and by the end of the year the top running back was a freshman who had hardly played until the 8th game.  With star running back Tyson Roy out of the mix, Millsaps rushed 19 times for 5 yards in that playoff game.

Millsaps simply wore down against CM and a 0-0 halftime score became a 0-21 loss.  Anyone who thinks that's the 2006 Millsaps team that was in the Playoffs is anything representative of the 2008 team is simply way off base.  That 2006 team was the "Miracle in Mississippi" before the other "Miracle in Mississippi", but they just didn't have enough left in the tank after beating Trinity 7 days prior to have to travel to Pittsburgh to play at CM.

Excellent point Frank, I hadn't thought about that.....

Llamaguy

Quote from: roocru on November 03, 2008, 01:46:27 PM
Quote from: Llamaguy on November 03, 2008, 12:12:14 PM
I do have my usual front row spot on the 50yrdline at the Stagg and a group of about 15 BC faithful ready to welcome you to Salem tough.

My son and I are looking forward to sampling Stone Station cuisine again!  ;) See you in in December!!  :D

I had already counted you into my total, knew I didn't even need to call. Your tickets will be available at the Stone Station will call gate. LOL!
Hopefully you won't have to make that drive south after the game this year. ;)
"The Dali Llama"

wesleydad

hey llama, havent seen you on much.  good to hear from you.  we are also looking forward to salem, hopefully with a specific rooting interest in the game, if not just to have a good time as last year.  i need to get me some tickets, which side of the field are you on so when i get them i can be in the same general area.  i see your predicament with all the stuff going on, have to do the daughter thing first i would guess.  if it is possible, hopefully we see you before salem, maybe the first round game, rescheduled from the hurricane, against cnu.

Llamaguy

Quote from: wesleydad on November 03, 2008, 06:48:47 PM
hey llama, havent seen you on much.  good to hear from you.  we are also looking forward to salem, hopefully with a specific rooting interest in the game, if not just to have a good time as last year.  i need to get me some tickets, which side of the field are you on so when i get them i can be in the same general area.  i see your predicament with all the stuff going on, have to do the daughter thing first i would guess.  if it is possible, hopefully we see you before salem, maybe the first round game, rescheduled from the hurricane, against cnu.

I'll "PM" you tomorrow with specific seat & section #'s as I am at work and the tix are at home. Looking forward to seeing you guys again this year as well!
"The Dali Llama"

PA_wesleyfan

Llama

Even if the Wolverines make it to the big game I am afraid I won't be making the trip. I have a date with a an orthopedic guy with a knife and a gas passer that Friday.  >:( To much fist pumping I guess ;D I hurt my shoulder late summer but I can't get it any better and not being able to lift more than 3 or 4 lbs doesn't cut it.  Enjoy the kids game though because before you know it their thirty :-\
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

Ralph Turner

Quote from: PA_wesleyfan on November 03, 2008, 07:35:53 PM
Llama

Even if the Wolverines make it to the big game I am afraid I won't be making the trip. I have a date with a an orthopedic guy with a knife and a gas passer that Friday.  >:( To much fist pumping I guess ;D I hurt my shoulder late summer but I can't get it any better and not being able to lift more than 3 or 4 lbs doesn't cut it.  Enjoy the kids game though because before you know it their thirty :-\

The shoulder injury is interfering with the 12-oz curls?   :D

PA_wesleyfan

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 03, 2008, 07:42:25 PM
Quote from: PA_wesleyfan on November 03, 2008, 07:35:53 PM
Llama

The shoulder injury is interfering with the 12-oz curls?   :D

Not one bit ;) Go lefty for the final tilt ;D But I do have a napkin handy for drip spillage...
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

Josh Bowerman

That was my prediction, Llamaguy.  Just because Ralph has like ten gazillion posts, it doesn't mean that every idea comes from him!   ;)
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass