HITTING FOR THE CYCLE

Started by Gramps, April 10, 2009, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gramps

Weds, Apr 8th, Jason Lash, ss, Heidelberg, hit for the CYCLE in the second game of a doubleheader against Capital.  This the first time in two years that I have been involved with board that I recall it happening. Does anyone of the oldtimers, like BigPoppa, Ralph Turner, or Jiim Dixon recall of any? And how often does it happen, or how rare is it? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

DIIIBASEBALLFAN

IN 2006

CF Tyler Dean, Chapman:
In one of the rarest of achievements, Dean hit for the cycle on back-to-back days. Against Pomona-Pitzer, he hit for the cycle in just four at bats. The very next day against Pomona-Pitzer, he did it again. He was hit by the first pitch he saw in the game. He then doubled in the third, grounded out in the fourth, tripled in the sixth, singled in the seventh and homered in the eighth. Dean finished the 2-game series 8-for-10 with 7 runs scored, 6 RBI and 20 total bases

Jim Dixon

The only cycle I saw in person at D-III was Tom Sanchez, Upper Iowa.  His was in game one of a championship series in 1996.

Those hit in the Championship round:
Mike DeLeone, NC Wesleyan (vs Otterbein, June 4, 1983)
Tom Sanchez, Upper Iowa (vs Marietta, May 23, 1996)

Jim Dixon

two are noted on D3baseball.com

Cal Lutheran's Centerfielder Nick Pinneri (2009)
http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2009/02/23/6339/pinneri-hits-for-cycle-in-kingmen-s-win.html

Wesley third baseman Grant Morlock (2008)
http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2008/05/05/5333/grant-hits-for-the-cycle.html

FYI - I believe Tim Jorgensen had a HR cycle in 1995 (solo shot, 2 run, 3 run and slam in one game).

Jim Dixon

I found this from a press release from 17 March 2008

Joe Towns, 3B, Jr., Texas-Tyler
Texas-Tyler junior third baseman Joe Towns (Carrollton, TX / Newman Smith HS) hit for the cycle and had five hits in a victory against East Texas Baptist and batted .419 over six games. On the week, he had three home runs, 11 RBI and scored eight runs. He also walked twice and stole one base.

from: http://www.d3baseball.com/pressreleases/ASC/2008/03/17/ASC-Players-of-the-Week-Announced/2363

Jim Dixon

In major-league baseball history, there have been 274 occurrences of batters hitting for the cycle.  This was from a 6 May 2008 story (below) and should give an indication what kind of frequency might be expected for a cycle.

...and for something off topic but amazing is what happened May last year:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_9163890

The odds against hitting for the cycle or tossing a perfect game are considerable.  So what are the chances of doing both in one game, which Jobi Wall of Faith Christian High School did Saturday during Class 3A district play?

"It was pretty crazy," Wall said.

A senior right-hander, Wall struck out six batters and retired 15 in a row in a five-inning, 18-0 victory over Coal Ridge. At the plate, the left-handed hitter tripled, singled, doubled, then homered in only four innings.

"I was kind of aware of it, then it happened," said Wall, who is 6-feet-6, 205 pounds and also plays shortstop when not pitching. "My teammates were very supportive. Everything went right and I got a lot of lucky bounces."

infielddad

Trinity, Tx. had two players hit for the cycle in the same game in 2004.

Gray Fox

Personally, I'd rather see my guy hit four home runs. ;D
Fierce When Roused

ILVBB

Nick Pappas, a freshman from LA, did it for Trinity (TX) in his forth game earlier this year against Sul Ross.

http://www.trinity.edu/departments/athletics/Baseball/statistics/sr-tu2.htm

Dawgsdad

If it wasn't for the triple, this feat would be fairly commonplace. The triple is what makes it difficult and rare.

I know my own kid has been close at least a half dozen times this year alone. I'm sure that if you look through the stats you'd see that many have been close.  I guess that why it's such a feat.  Rare indeed ;)

BigPoppa

Not really a cycle, but even more amazing was that UW-Oshkosh's Tim Jorgensen once hit 6HRs in a DH. Game one featured a cycle of HRs: a solo shot, a two-run HR, a three-run HR and a Grand Slam. I am not sure that has EVER been done nor will it EVER be done again.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: infielddad on April 12, 2009, 08:33:21 PM
Trinity, Tx. had two players hit for the cycle in the same game in 2004.

For Trinity (Texas) Jason Armstrong and Andrew Findlay hit for the cycle in the same game against Rhodes in 2004.

Just Bill

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 13, 2009, 10:17:42 AM
Not really a cycle, but even more amazing was that UW-Oshkosh's Tim Jorgensen once hit 6HRs in a DH. Game one featured a cycle of HRs: a solo shot, a two-run HR, a three-run HR and a Grand Slam. I am not sure that has EVER been done nor will it EVER be done again.
...because no team in history will ever be stupid enough again to keep pitching to a guy who hit four home runs in the first game!!
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Just Bill on April 13, 2009, 11:15:36 AM
Quote from: BigPoppa on April 13, 2009, 10:17:42 AM
...because no team in history will ever be stupid enough again to keep pitching to a guy who hit four home runs in the first game!!

HA! That is a great observation.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Gramps

Quote from: inthecrease on April 10, 2009, 07:05:33 PM
here is what i have found from researching every schools media guide i could find online (i have that kind of free time)

OAC Cycle:
April 12, 2001 - Mike Van Schepen for Muskingum vs. Wilmington
May 12, 1994 - Chris Matejcik for B-W vs. Mount Union

Non-OAC Cycle:
April 14, 2005 - Mike Farrell for B-W vs. Hiram
March 12, 2001 - Steve Conter for B-Wvs. Thomas More (Ky.)

WOW!!!What a response,.  I'd certainly like to thank all of you for answering my query.  I'm sure that it jogged a lot of memories.  I brought over a response from the conference board to show how rare the CYCLE is just in the OAC  itself.

Especially many kudos to Jim Dixon for his jogs back in history to come up with the many variations.   

Keep all of your answers coming, I'm really enjoying this.