D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoBo

Oops, looks like emma17 beat me to it, but since I took the time. . .

smedindy,

JMO, I think 02 warhawk posted the picture in regards to e17's comments. From my view, the picture shows a man very frustrated at something - probably placing a great deal of unnecessary stress on himself over something very trivial in the whole scope of things. Quite possibly, 02 warhawk is postulating that the picture mirrors the way e17 spends his time thinking about his Top 25 fan poll. But, since you seem to think it's about you, maybe 02 warhawk killed two birds with one stone!!  ;)
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

smedindy

BoBo - No, I knew the picture wasn't about me! It was about the inane logic comparing Oshkosh results to last year Mt. Union results. I think it was akin to the FARK meme of "facepalm" with Picard. I was trying to make a funny myself about said thing, and misfired.

Emma - It comes down to a few things:

1. Oshkosh is a mid-level WIAC team and went 4-6 last year. While yes that's better than a mid-level NCAC team, it's still a team that is more suspect than prospect.

2. Oshkosh beat Central. Central looks to be down. They barely squeaked by Augie, who lost to Dubuque this season, who is a mid-level IIAC team. Their win against Central was certainly something that sparked interest, but as more data is accumulated, I can say that while it's not an A beats B beats C beats A scenario, it's a Oshkosh beat B that barely beat C that lost to D, who is in B's conference and mediocre. So Oshkosh's win over B isn't as shiny as it could be.

3. Up 34-10 at the half, I'm not surprised Mt. Union didn't go for the jugular and blow out Oshkosh by 40 or so. ONU is different for Mt. Union - they're probably their closest OAC rival and they want to 'finish' them. Also, in the playoffs Mt. Union doesn't have their entire roster - so they can't sub out as much as they could.

4. Because the WIAC is a conference that beats up on each other, making sense of the entire body of work is different since the teams are kind of bunched together in the middle. But I'll take the NCAC for example.

Oshkosh would have no problems at all with Kenyon, Hiram, Denison, Oberlin.
Oshkosh would beat OWU 9 times out of 10.
Oshkosh would probably handle Allegheny 75 times out of 100.
Oshkosh probably beats Wooster 6 times out of 10. Wooster has had some issues with turnovers, but solve them and they're a damn fine team.
Oshkosh against DePauw (not in the NCAC but close). DPU is rebuilding but has a good tradition. I'd say 55 times out of 100 Oshkosh beats them this year. Last year, despite the 47-0, I'd say DPU has the edge 6 out of 10.
Oshkosh against Wabash and Witt, with what both teams have coming back. About a 1 in 3 chance.

Is that conjecture? Yeah. But the sample sizes are so small, and a two or three plays can turn a one possession game into a rout. If the stars align, Oshkosh runs the table in the NCAC. But I said this year if the stars aligned Wooster could have (COULD HAVE) run the table in the NCAC. The stars were normal, though.

02 Warhawk

Wonder if UMHB can survive the 2011-Being-Ranked-#3-Curse?

So far the two #3 rank teams (in the Fan's Poll) both lost.

Week 1: #3 NCC lost to Redlands 29-35
Week 2: #3 Wesley lost to Kean 28-31
Week 3: #3 UMHB (?) to McMurry

McMurry is coming off a big win, but the game is at MHB.

emma17

All right Smed, I know the subject has been beat to death.  You did a nice job of providing some reasoning and I appreciate it.
For the record, the score of the Mt v Oshkosh game was 34-17 as the fourth quarter started- and based upon the play by play info on the stat sheet, Mt had all their starters in until what appears the last 3 minutes of the game. 

Anyone know when the fan poll is coming out?

sflzman

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 13, 2011, 11:22:45 AM
Wonder if UMHB can survive the 2011-Being-Ranked-#3-Curse?

So far the two #3 rank teams (in the Fan's Poll) both lost.

Week 1: #3 NCC lost to Redlands 29-35
Week 2: #3 Wesley lost to Kean 28-31
Week 3: #3 UMHB (?) to McMurry

McMurry is coming off a big win, but the game is at MHB.

Wasn't it 3 years ago where the FBS division had like 8 number 2's in 9 weeks?
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

bleedpurple

Quote from: emma17 on September 13, 2011, 04:38:21 PM
All right Smed, I know the subject has been beat to death.  You did a nice job of providing some reasoning and I appreciate it.
For the record, the score of the Mt v Oshkosh game was 34-17 as the fourth quarter started- and based upon the play by play info on the stat sheet, Mt had all their starters in until what appears the last 3 minutes of the game. 

I am hoping to have the fan poll out tonight, but two people thought so much of certain teams they ranked them twice! Check your email indexes folks!

And for the record. UW-Oshkosh was NOT one of the teams ranked twice.   ;)

FCGrizzliesGrad

1.  University of Wisconsin-Whitewater (12)           348     1
2.  Mount Union (2)                                            338    2
3.  St. Thomas                                                  302     4
4. Mary Hardin-Baylor                                          297    5
5. Bethel                                                          290     7
6. Linfield                                                         287     6
7. Wheaton                                                      257     8
8. Hardin-Simmons                                             250    10
9. North Central                                                193    11
10. Ohio Northern                                              185     9
11. Thomas More                                              183     16
12. Cortland State                                             175    14
13. Wesley                                                       165     3
14. Montclair State                                            162    11
15. Wartburg                                                    158     12
16. Redlands                                                     137     20
17. Wittenberg                                                  116     19
18. Alfred                                                         112     21
19. Wabash                                                        90    18
20. Kean                                                            89     unranked
21. Cal Lutheran                                                  73    15
22. Trine                                                            60    23
23. Hampden-Sydney                                            55    unranked
24. Salisbury                                                       49    unranked
25. Delaware Valley                                              36    unranked

Falling Out of Top 25 This Week: Coe, Franklin, St. John's, UW-Stevens Point.

Also receiving votes: UW-Platteville (34), Baldwin-Wallace (27), Elmhurst (14), Illinois Wesleyan (13),    UW-Oshkosh (9), Pacific Lutheran (8), Adrian (6), Franklin (5), Lycoming (5), Rowan (3), Johns Hopkins (2), Louisiana College (2), Trinity (2), UW-LaCrosse (1), Washington University (1).
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

FCGrizzliesGrad

I don't know if I'm blind or he forgot them or what, but I know I had UW-SP still in my top 25 so they should at least be in the also receiving votes section
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

MasterJedi

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 14, 2011, 01:00:32 AM
I don't know if I'm blind or he forgot them or what, but I know I had UW-SP still in my top 25 so they should at least be in the also receiving votes section

Same with me.

bleedpurple

Edited post after after further searching.

FC,
Not finding your ballot. Could u send again?

MJ,
Sorry I didn't include yours. When I went to record them, I started with Sunday and I see you were on top of it and submitted yours late Saturday night. I will re-tabulate.

Sorry for inconvenience. We will see what kind of weight FCGriz and MasterJedi have!!

I guess Yahoo is off the hook.  Maybe it's just UW-SP's sin against the universe on 10/25/08 coming back to haunt them!

BoBo

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 14, 2011, 08:02:10 AM
MasterJedi and FCGriz,
I didn't get a ballot from either of you. At least it is not in my inbox. Could you resend? Did you send them to d3fanpoll@yahoo.com? Hmmm both voters who ranked UW-SP and their ballots turn up missing! I know there is an anti-WIAC bias out there, but could Yahoo really be involved?  :D

"This is Jim Rockford. At the tone, leave your name and number and I'll get back to you."
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

footballfan413

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 13, 2011, 09:40:25 PM
Quote from: emma17 on September 13, 2011, 04:38:21 PM

I am hoping to have the fan poll out tonight, but two people thought so much of certain teams they ranked them twice! Check your email indexes folks!

And for the record. UW-Oshkosh was NOT one of the teams ranked twice.   ;)
Somewhat comforting that I wasn't the only one.  At my age, I'm easily confused!                                                    Wartburg/Wabash......Wabash/Wartburg............. ;) ;D
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

bleedpurple

OK, no conspiracies. I have no idea quite what I did, but it is all on me. I found both "missing ballots". I have no idea why I didn't originally tabulate them, they are there. It took awhile to find them because I don't have a chart matching email addresses with D3boards screen names. I will work on that this weekend.  I will have the "Correct, I think" Poll out in a few minutes. I will post it right here. Sorry for the confusion!

smedindy

No worries. This is all for fun and I bet the AP screws up tabulations too! "The dog ate Pat Forde's ballot!"

bleedpurple

OK, This should be right. I hope so  :o For the record, in the final tabulations Johns Hopkins actually lost a vote!
D3 Top 25 Fan Poll Week 3

1.  University of Wisconsin-Whitewater (14)          398    1(LW)
2.  Mount Union (2)                                           386    2
3.  St. Thomas                                                 345    4
4. Bethel                                                         335    7
5. Mary Hardin-Baylor                                       333    5
6. Linfield                                                        327     6
7. Wheaton                                                      298     8
8. Hardin-Simmons                                           278      10
9. North Central                                               229    11
10. Ohio Northern                                             219     9
11. Wesley                                                      194      3
12. Cortland State                                            191  14
13. Thomas More                                             188    16
14. Montclair State                                           179    11
15. Wartburg                                                   177     12
16. Redlands                                                   159    20
17. Alfred                                                       135     21
18. Wittenberg                                                 131     19
19. Wabash                                                     114    18
20. Kean                                                          89     unranked
21. Trine                                                          83    23
22. Cal Lutheran                                                74    15
23. Hampden-Sydney                                         64    unranked
24. Salisbury                                                    55    unranked
25. UW-Platteville                                              47    unranked

Falling Out of Top 25 This Week: Coe, Franklin, St. John's, UW-Stevens Point.

Also receiving votes: Delaware Valley (44), Baldwin-Wallace (34), Elmhurst (14), Illinois Wesleyan (15),  UW-Stevens Point (13), UW-Oshkosh (11), Pacific Lutheran (8), Adrian (6), Franklin (6), Lycoming (5), Rowan (3),  Louisiana College (2), Trinity (2), UW-LaCrosse (1), UW-Eau Claire (1), Washington University (1), Johns Hopkins (1),.