D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterJedi

Quote from: sflzman on September 19, 2011, 09:58:14 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 19, 2011, 07:58:00 PM
Quote from: HSC85 on September 19, 2011, 02:36:49 PM
Pat,

I have no complaint about the votes that HSC is getting.  I just watch teams lose to teams that are supposed to be weaker and the penalty is not very strong.  Especially if they were already in the top 25.  If you are in the top 15 it seems to take two losses to get bounced.  My comments had nothing to do with Hampden Sydney.

Neither did mine. Not sure what I said that would make you think I was talking about anyone other than Mississippi College, which went from 0 votes to No. 23 in the country.

For me I don't jump on the bandwagon for one win. Kean wasn't in my poll last week, but they're top 15 this week after two solid wins in a row.

That's how I do it as well, or in my case Top 18.

emma17

Quote from: smedindy on September 19, 2011, 08:56:04 PM
emma17 - I do the same thing. What I see now is that North Central is a lot better than a lot of teams, and they lost on opening week a long way away from home against a decent team. But I see a team that is NOW a lot better than almost every team in the country, even with that loss.

I'm really interested to see NCC vs Wheaton.  I saw the first half of Wheaton vs Pville on straming video (buffering, buffering, buffering) and was surprised at how well P-ville played Wheaton in the first half.  Unfortunately I fell asleep at halftime so I didn't see Wheaton's turn around. 
If you had to select today, who wins- NCC or Wheaton?

BoBo

Quote from: emma17 on September 19, 2011, 10:21:45 PM
emma17 - I do the same thing. What I see now is that North Central is a lot better than a lot of teams, and they lost on opening week a long way away from home against a decent team. But I see a team that is NOW a lot better than almost every team in the country, even with that loss.

I'm really interested to see NCC vs Wheaton.  I saw the first half of Wheaton vs Pville on straming video (buffering, buffering, buffering) and was surprised at how well P-ville played Wheaton in the first half.  Unfortunately I fell asleep at halftime so I didn't see Wheaton's turn around. 

I hope that's not because of the performance of the UW-Platteville's marching band?  ;)
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

Mr. Ypsi

NCC/Wheaton is one of those rivalry games (Little Brass Bell) of schools roughly 10 miles apart that is essentially impossible to predict.  General scuttlebutt in the CCIW is that NCC is probably a bit better, but I'm not sure a Wheaton win would even be viewed as an upset.

(It will be a battle for second, anyway - my IWU Titans plan to beat them both! 8-) ;))

Ron Boerger

Did I miss this week's poll results somehow?   Haven't seen them and should be interesting to see what everyone thinks (as always).

MasterJedi

Quote from: Ron Boerger on September 20, 2011, 10:06:14 AM
Did I miss this week's poll results somehow?   Haven't seen them and should be interesting to see what everyone thinks (as always).

Not yet released yet, bp must be busy. I'm greatly looking forward to the poll as well.

02 Warhawk

I think he usually posts them sometime on Tuesdays (today).

hazzben

Quote from: smedindy on September 19, 2011, 08:54:03 PM
Quote from: hazzben on September 19, 2011, 02:52:21 PM
Quote from: smedindy on September 19, 2011, 09:14:56 AM

One from this year:

St. John's losing to UW-EC by a gazillion was a fluke. Play that game again and St. John's remains close or wins. One result does not make it a trend. One lambasting does not make a team dominant against the other. It just happened on that day and time.

Not sure many Johnnie fans would agree with your take. They play again and SJU probably keeps it closer, but I don't think they'd win. UWEC dominated them from start to finish in every aspect of the game. They were faster. They were more physical. They were more disciplined. They executed better. And it all happened in Collegeville.

From what I read on the MIAC board, to a poster, SJU fans admitted they got dominated by a superior team. What makes you think SJU could possibly win that game in a rematch?

The Johnnie fans I know seem to be 'the sky is falling' types at times. Has to be in their Minnesota blood.

I don't think it's a MN thing as much as it's SJU rarely losing for the last, oh, 50+ years. And they definitely aren't used to getting handled at home. They just have very little experience in the losing department  and almost none in the blowout (especially during the regular season). But yeah, there was definitely a little chicken little over on our board.

emma17

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 19, 2011, 11:20:51 PM

NCC/Wheaton is one of those rivalry games (Little Brass Bell) of schools roughly 10 miles apart that is essentially impossible to predict.  General scuttlebutt in the CCIW is that NCC is probably a bit better, but I'm not sure a Wheaton win would even be viewed as an upset.

(It will be a battle for second, anyway - my IWU Titans plan to beat them both! 8-) ;))

I'm with you, I've been flogged for having IWU in the top 15 last week (22 this week as I feel the Aurora game was too close).

bleedpurple

D3 TOP 25 FAN POLL

1.  Wisconsin-Whitewater (14)           398 pts      1
2.  Mount Union (2)                          386 pts      2
3.  St. Thomas                                355 pts      3
4.  Bethel                                       332 pts      4
5.  Mary Hardin-Baylor                     330 pts      5
6.  Wheaton                                    312 pts      7
7.  Linfield                                      311 pts      6
8.  North Central                              285 pts      9
9.  Wesley                                      227 pts      11
10. Ohio Northern                            216 pts      10
11. Wartburg                                   211 pts      15
12. Thomas More                             208 pts      13
13. Kean                                         201 pts      20
14. Redlands                                   169 pts      16
15. Montclair St.                              161 pts      14
16. Alfred                                       142 pts      17
17. Wabash                                     141 pts      19
18. Wittenberg                                 136 pts      18
19. Trine                                         102 pts      21
20. Hardin-Simmons                           95 pts       8
21. Cal Lutheran                                89 pts       22
22. Hampden-Sydney                         82 pts       23
23. Cortland State                             56 pts       12
24. Baldwin-Wallace                          48 pts       unranked
25. Salisbury                                    47 pts       24

Falling out of Top 25 UW-Platteville

Also receiving votes: Delaware Valley 45, UW-Platteville 33, Mississippi College 26, UW-Stevens Point 11, UW-Oshkosh 10,  UW-Eau Claire 7, Adrian 6, Illinois Wesleyan 6, Louisiana College 5, Franklin 4, St. John Fisher 3, Johns Hopkins 2, Trinity 2,

sflzman

I'm telling you guys/girls. Trine is not the best MIAA team. Adrian or Alma will win the AQ this year....
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

emma17

Quote from: sflzman on September 20, 2011, 10:39:22 PM
I'm telling you guys/girls. Trine is not the best MIAA team. Adrian or Alma will win the AQ this year....

sflzman- Did you see the Trine v UWRF game by any chance?  The stats sure don't resemble the score in that one.

bleedpurple

I was very surprised when I researched Trine before the UW-RF game and found the Thunder averaged less than 3 yards per carry against Manchester and Bluffton after averaging 7.0 yards against them last year. And both of those years, we are talking about a reasonable sample size of 80-100 carries, too.  I agree that Trine is suspect at best.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Until Trine loses, I have them up there... I may have them a bit high at 11, but I can't put anyone that I have ranked just below them ahead.
I don't think anyone will beat them in conference, Alma hasn't shown me any reason that they'd win (although a solid win this week at W&L might change my mind) and while Adrian may have a small chance, they have to do it on the road against a Trine team who will have an extra week to prepare. The other teams may be closing the gap between Trine and the rest of the conference but I don't think they've gotten there quite yet.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

emma17

The ranking conundrum continues in my eyes. Platteville drops out after losing a tight game to a #6- isn't that what should happen when a bottom 25 plays a top 10- lose in tight game?  I can't understand why they would drop out.  Ohio Northern survives a 2-point conversion attempt to an unranked team and still holds on in voter's minds as the 10th best team in the entire country.
Mercy!