D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sju56321

I can tell you I don't have Ohio Northern at #10. But it is interesting trying to rank these teams.
After his second touchdown catch in a record-setting day, St. John's receiver Will Gillach pointed skyward. That, folks, was for former head coach John Gagilardi. The legendary coach of the Johnnies for 60 seasons and 64 in college overall died Sunday. He was 91. His 489 victories are most in college football history in any division.

hazzben

Quote from: emma17 on September 21, 2011, 09:11:30 AM
The ranking conundrum continues in my eyes. Platteville drops out after losing a tight game to a #6- isn't that what should happen when a bottom 25 plays a top 10- lose in tight game?  I can't understand why they would drop out.  Ohio Northern survives a 2-point conversion attempt to an unranked team and still holds on in voter's minds as the 10th best team in the entire country.
Mercy!

I dropped Ohio Northern for this very reason. Still ranked, but I wasn't impressed with the showing.

Quote from: sju56321 on September 21, 2011, 11:31:52 AM
I can tell you I don't have Ohio Northern at #10. But it is interesting trying to rank these teams.

exactly. Some teams I've got ranked higher than I thought I would, simply because I can't for the life of me think of a team I'd rank above them. This is a tough time of year for the poll as so many great matchups and real measuring sticks haven't happened for a lot of the ranked teams.

02 Warhawk

The ranking conundrum continues in my eyes. Platteville drops out after losing a tight game to a #6- isn't that what should happen when a bottom 25 plays a top 10- lose in tight game?  I can't understand why they would drop out.  Ohio Northern survives a 2-point conversion attempt to an unranked team and still holds on in voter's minds as the 10th best team in the entire country.
Mercy!

I guess when you're the last ranked team, and you lose....odds are you are going to fall out. Besides, I think Miss College is more deserving of getting into the top 25 after smoking Harden Simmons. so I kicked out UWP and put in Miss College.

sflzman

Quote from: emma17 on September 20, 2011, 10:52:46 PM
Quote from: sflzman on September 20, 2011, 10:39:22 PM
I'm telling you guys/girls. Trine is not the best MIAA team. Adrian or Alma will win the AQ this year....

sflzman- Did you see the Trine v UWRF game by any chance?  The stats sure don't resemble the score in that one.

No I did not see that one, and I haven't even seem much film of them yet....
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

emma17

Quote from: sflzman on September 21, 2011, 02:57:02 PM
I'm telling you guys/girls. Trine is not the best MIAA team. Adrian or Alma will win the AQ this year....

sflzman- Did you see the Trine v UWRF game by any chance?  The stats sure don't resemble the score in that one.

Hmm, film huh?  That sounds fun- Love breaking down game film.  If you get the UWRF-Trine film can you fill us in a bit?

emma17

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 21, 2011, 01:08:50 PM
Mercy!

I guess when you're the last ranked team, and you lose....odds are you are going to fall out. Besides, I think Miss College is more deserving of getting into the top 25 after smoking Harden Simmons. so I kicked out UWP and put in Miss College.

I can't argue with the Miss College logic.  It's just an old issue though that I realize comes down to a personal decision. 

This isn't a question specific to you 02 (but I always appreciate your replies), I'm just tossing it out there.  I can see the following scenario:  UWP lost to Wheaton and maybe loses to UWW and one other WIAC team.  Assuming that other WIAC team is proving to be very tough (you know, like Oshkosh beating everybody but UWW)- you now have a 3 loss team- that lost ONLY to teams it should lose to if it is ranked in 20-25.  If the Alfreds, Trines, Hampden Sydneys, Wabashs and the like remain unbeaten, is there no room for a UWP?  Or, do we rank UWP not on record, but on asking the question- who would win if they played each other? 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: emma17 on September 21, 2011, 07:39:10 PM
Mercy!
For me, the third loss and a 7-3 record, a WIAC slip-up drops UW-P into the second 25.

I can't argue with the Miss College logic.  It's just an old issue though that I realize comes down to a personal decision. 

This isn't a question specific to you 02 (but I always appreciate your replies), I'm just tossing it out there.  I can see the following scenario:  UWP lost to Wheaton and maybe loses to UWW and one other WIAC team.  Assuming that other WIAC team is proving to be very tough (you know, like Oshkosh beating everybody but UWW)- you now have a 3 loss team- that lost ONLY to teams it should lose to if it is ranked in 20-25.  If the Alfreds, Trines, Hampden Sydneys, Wabashs and the like remain unbeaten, is there no room for a UWP?  Or, do we rank UWP not on record, but on asking the question- who would win if they played each other?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 21, 2011, 08:08:15 PM
Quote from: emma17 on September 21, 2011, 07:39:10 PM
Mercy!

For me, the third loss, a WIAC slip-up, and a 7-3 record, drops UW-P into the second 25.

smedindy

Mercy!

Us who have seen the OAC semi-close and personal know that the non-Mt. Union teams tend to claw at each other. I dropped Montclair big time because of their performance, but knowing how rough the OAC is from teams 2 through 7 I couldn't drop ONU that much.

I have ONU as the bottom of my "11" that I've always had as my first tier:

1. UW - Whitewater
2. Mt. Union
3. St. Thomas
4. Wheaton
5. Linfield
6. North Central
7. UMHB
8. Wesley
9. Bethel
10. Wartburg
11. Ohio Northern
12. Wabash
13. Wittenberg
14. Redlands
15. Baldwin - Wallace
16. Kean
17. Alfred
18. Montclair State
19. Salisbury
20. Cortland State
21. Thomas More
22. UW - Eau Claire
23. Cal Lutheran
24. Delaware Valley
25. Trine

This is also why I'm going to start using Massey to do comparisons and power rankings and schedule rankings. Gather and glean good data.

sflzman

Quote from: emma17 on September 21, 2011, 07:27:58 PM
Quote from: sflzman on September 21, 2011, 02:57:02 PM

Hmm, film huh?  That sounds fun- Love breaking down game film.  If you get the UWRF-Trine film can you fill us in a bit?

No problem. The key will be when I finally get to see a Trine film, but I'll definately give a breakdown on it...
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

BoBo

Just wondering, who are the pollsters for the fan top 25 poll & are they equally distributed among the regions? How does one become a pollster? Is the weekly deadline for each pollster to submit their top 25 before or after the d3football.com top 25 is published? Could someone in the know kindly respond? TY
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

bleedpurple

Quote from: BoBo on September 22, 2011, 10:27:26 AM
Just wondering, who are the pollsters for the fan top 25 poll & are they equally distributed among the regions? How does one become a pollster? Is the weekly deadline for each pollster to submit their top 25 before or after the d3football.com top 25 is published? Could someone in the know kindly respond? TY

All you have to do to be a pollster is to let me know at d3fanpoll@yahoo.com.  I posted an announcement in every region and every conference a week or two before the season started. I took everyone who indicated interest. A couple guys have also been added since the season started. Obviously, it would be great to have you! The deadline we have set up is midnight.  I never really clarified as to whether that is Eastern, Central, Mountain, or Pacific time.  But I know it's not KST!  :D

FCGrizzliesGrad

Just wondering, who are the pollsters for the fan top 25 poll & are they equally distributed among the regions?
I'd be interested in finding that out too... maybe us pollsters could include in our next ballot what region and maybe what conference we're from and then at the bottom of the latest poll bleed could either tally up region and conference representation or list everyone and their affiliations and someone will invariably tally it up
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

02 Warhawk

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 22, 2011, 01:07:57 PM
Just wondering, who are the pollsters for the fan top 25 poll & are they equally distributed among the regions?
I'd be interested in finding that out too... maybe us pollsters could include in our next ballot what region and maybe what conference we're from and then at the bottom of the latest poll bleed could either tally up region and conference representation or list everyone and their affiliations and someone will invariably tally it up

Judging by your screen name, FCGrizzliesGrad, bleedpurple can probably crack the code on what region/conference you represent  ;)

That probably goes for most of us though, including myself. But I like that idea though.

emma17

Whoa- hold on. All you have to do to be a pollster is to let me know at d3fanpoll@yahoo.com

That's not what you told me Bleed >:(