D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emma17

K-Mack:
I completely understand your issue w NCC being ranked ahead of Redlands- but I also admit I am guilty of doing so. After week 1 (and maybe wk 2 also) I had Redlands ahead- but the sheer dominating performance by NCC has led me to switch it. I believe NCC is the 3rd best team in the country, even w the loss.

And Absolutely I believe the D3 poll influences/ informs the fan poll- Especially the initial rankings. Some on this very board have used the D3 poll to support their position on a team.
It's understandable though because, IMO, I simply dont have enough information to determine where teams like Mont St, Cortland, Kean, Sals, Thomas Moore, Del Val, etc belong.

I used the D3 poll initially to support my 11-25 and still do when it comes to teams I just am not familiar with.

smedindy

I for one actually get my poll in as soon as all the games are done Saturday night, so at least for this voter the D3 poll doesn't affect how I vote. What it does is affirms my "watch" list.

bleedpurple

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 28, 2011, 02:02:35 PM
Quote from: bleedpurple on September 28, 2011, 12:52:34 PM
Quote from: K-Mack on September 28, 2011, 12:40:35 AM
2) No way Fisher should get 6 votes in your poll and Hobart 0.

FYI....One voter ranked Fisher 20th.

Did you ever get a chance to tally-up where everyone is voting from?

Region/Conference?

I have not gotten a response from everyone. I am tallying them as they come in. So far it looks like we are North and West Region heavy. 

smedindy

I'm not surprised by that at all.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 28, 2011, 03:34:48 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 28, 2011, 02:02:35 PM
Did you ever get a chance to tally-up where everyone is voting from?

Region/Conference?

I have not gotten a response from everyone. I am tallying them as they come in. So far it looks like we are North and West Region heavy.
I completely forgot to put that on my ballot... North region/HCAC/Franklin if you don't have it
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

emma17

Quote from: smedindy on September 28, 2011, 03:16:09 PM
I for one actually get my poll in as soon as all the games are done Saturday night, so at least for this voter the D3 poll doesn't affect how I vote. What it does is affirms my "watch" list.

As the season has taken shape it is easier to do your own poll without reference.  What about your first poll- before any games had been played? 

BoBo

So, you are saying you never look at the D3football.com poll at anytime?
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

bleedpurple

Quote from: K-Mack on September 28, 2011, 12:40:35 AM
The interesting thing to me when looking at the fan poll is to see if a grouping of 15 other minds aside from the official 25 voters sway the overall picture at all. What it seems to prove most often is that if you get a handful of people who pay attention, you'll get roughly the same results.

Have we ever tried combining the two for a master sampling of 40 minds? Just for fun, but also to weed out the variances each poll has? For instance, I can't get a team into the poll by my lonesome, as I'm just 1/25th of the voting, but I know I'm responsible for a lot of Hobart's and Birmingham-Southern's points. A few other outliers like me and we could get them into the top 25 even if most of the ballots had them unranked. Thoughts?

D3Football.Com/D3 Top 25 Fan Combination Poll through games of September 24th

1. Wisconsin-Whitewater (33)       993
2. Mount Union (7)                       967
3. St. Thomas                              887
4. Mary Hardin-Baylor                   857
5. Linfield                                     814
6. Bethel                                      797
7. Wheaton                                  767
8.  North Central                           647
9.  Thomas More                            602
10. Wesley                                    574
11.  Kean                                      545
12.  Montclair St.                           492
13.  Redlands                                466
14.  Alfred                                      431
15.  Wabash                                   426
16.  Wittenberg                              404
17.  Trine                                       339
18.  Louisiana College                     262
19.  Cortland State                       257
20.  Cal Lutheran                            230
21.  Delaware Valley                       193
22.   Wartburg                                157
23(t) Johns Hopkins                      128
23(t) Ohio Northern                       128
25.   Salisbury                              119

smedindy

Quote from: BoBo on September 28, 2011, 07:14:19 PM

So, you are saying you never look at the D3football.com poll at anytime?

What I meant is that I only look at the poll when it's released to place teams on my 'watch list' that I may have missed. I don't look at the poll to cast my ballot. And since I do it Saturday night, it wouldn't do any good, now would it! I have my last poll I sent in and then the scoreboard (and then links to box scores, etc.)

smedindy

Quote from: emma17 on September 28, 2011, 06:20:51 PM

As the season has taken shape it is easier to do your own poll without reference.  What about your first poll- before any games had been played?

Not the poll, but I read all of the wonderful pre-season publication on d3football.com. Yes it ranked teams but I had my own ideas from the last season.

sflzman

Did that conference listing come out? Or did I just miss it?
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

bleedpurple

I've got 15 "affiliations" of the 17 people who have submitted ballots in 2011.  Here is the breakdown of those 15:

West Region (8)
WIAC-7
MIAC-1

North Region (4)
HCAC-1
NCAC-1
MIAA-1
OAC-1

East Region (2)
NJAC-1
E8-1

South Region(1)
ASC-1

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 29, 2011, 12:20:28 AM
I've got 15 "affiliations" of the 17 people who have submitted ballots in 2011.  Here is the breakdown of those 15:

West Region (8)
WIAC-7
MIAC-1

North Region (4)
HCAC-1
NCAC-1
MIAA-1
OAC-1

East Region (2)
NJAC-1
E8-1

South Region(1)
ASC-1
Not too bad on distribution... except for the slight WIAC bias ::)

Interesting that even though voting was voluntary and no one turned away, we had about 1/3 of the conferences represented and all but one had just 1 voter. Would like to see a couple more from the South and East though (and maybe a non WIAC west). Maybe poke around those boards to see if a couple more people would vote. Perhaps if we get some more voters from those unrepresented areas then we could see about trimming down the number of WIAC voters? It's ok at the moment since we need all the voters we can get, but if we get more voters then perhaps we can try to get a bit more evenly distributed
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

BoBo

^^ Looks like the poll has a home field advantage!!  ;)  Let's see what gets revealed when River Falls or La Crosse wins a game!!  ;)
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

02 Warhawk

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 29, 2011, 12:20:28 AM

West Region (8)
WIAC-7
MIAC-1

North Region (4)
HCAC-1
NCAC-1
MIAA-1
OAC-1

East Region (2)
NJAC-1
E8-1

South Region(1)
ASC-1

Surprised no one from the CCIW or NWC would want to join in the fun  8-)