D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 10, 2011, 07:55:55 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 10, 2011, 07:53:58 PM
An 8-2 Oshkosh would definitely be in consideration. Of course, that all depends on the other West Region shenanigans for their regional rankings. There's a chance they may not get 'to the table' at 8-2.

I think from 15-35 it's all a toss of the coin anyway.
More accurately, UW-O would be West Region 8-1.

Right of course...but still it all depends on the regional rankings.

hazzben

Quote from: smedindy on October 11, 2011, 12:20:31 AM
An 8-2 Oshkosh would definitely be in consideration. Of course, that all depends on the other West Region shenanigans for their regional rankings. There's a chance they may not get 'to the table' at 8-2.

Right of course...but still it all depends on the regional rankings.

I think the thing that probably hurts UWO in the regional conference calls will be the question of 'who have they beaten'. Granted the WIAC is a weekly grind. But a big criteria they look at in those calls is success against regionally ranked opponents. If UWEC drops a game to anyone other than UWW they'll definitely be out of the rankings. But even just a loss to UWW likely will push UWEC out of the regional top 10. This weakens, justly or not, UWO's consideration given they'll only be able to say, but we only lost to UWW and UMU. To which members of the committee will say, yeah, but who have you beaten?

Redlands and potentially a couple of MIAC and IIAC schools will be able to point to victories against regionally ranked teams.

UWO will definitely be in the discussion, the strength of their position is just unclear until the remaining weeks have played out. If there's a shortage of 1 loss Pool C candidates, their potential to get in will be strong. If there's a bevy of 1 loss teams out there, they'll have to hope most of them come from weak conferences and have very poor SOS numbers.

Pat Coleman

I think that in football, it's a mistake to think they stick solely to the primary criteria.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Teamski on October 11, 2011, 12:18:46 AM
Quote from: emma17 on October 10, 2011, 07:42:24 PM
Quote from: Teamski on October 10, 2011, 05:41:00 PM
Quote from: Teamski on October 10, 2011, 05:35:18 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 10, 2011, 04:42:08 PM
I'm pulling for Oshkosh to finish 8-2 this season, with their only losses coming to Mount and UWW. It will be tough leaving them out of the playoffs, if that ends up happening.

If I was an Oshkosh fan, I'm hoping Central wins out to improve the Titans' regional SOS.

My question is this:  Why would any coach in the WIAC schedule MU in the first place with the obvious exception of UWW?  That is a self-induced a$$ whopping and a great way to lose a Pool C bid.  I don't understand it unless he wanted a shot at the target on the backs of the jerseys..... ::)

-Ski

Never mind, I noticed that the WIAC does a round-robin, so it doesn't matter in the end.   ::)

-Ski

Ski, when you say round-robin- do you mean automatic qualifier for conference champ?

Hehehe..... I lost two Karma on this posting....anyways, all of the teams in WIAC play eachother, so if Oshkosh did finish 8-2, it would be in consideration for a pool C bid anyways. 

-Ski

There are a couple of curmudgeonly UWW fans who will smite any Wesley poster. Sorry for their lack of maturity. You'd think going 3-0 in the semifinals against Wesley would be enough satisfaction without anonymous smiting on top of it.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

emma17

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 11, 2011, 11:11:11 AM
I'm pulling for Oshkosh to finish 8-2 this season, with their only losses coming to Mount and UWW. It will be tough leaving them out of the playoffs, if that ends up happening.

If I was an Oshkosh fan, I'm hoping Central wins out to improve the Titans' regional SOS.

My question is this:  Why would any coach in the WIAC schedule MU in the first place with the obvious exception of UWW?  That is a self-induced a$$ whopping and a great way to lose a Pool C bid.  I don't understand it unless he wanted a shot at the target on the backs of the jerseys..... ::)

-Ski

Never mind, I noticed that the WIAC does a round-robin, so it doesn't matter in the end.   ::)

-Ski

Ski, when you say round-robin- do you mean automatic qualifier for conference champ?

Hehehe..... I lost two Karma on this posting....anyways, all of the teams in WIAC play eachother, so if Oshkosh did finish 8-2, it would be in consideration for a pool C bid anyways. 

-Ski

There are a couple of curmudgeonly UWW fans who will smite any Wesley poster. Sorry for their lack of maturity. You'd think going 3-0 in the semifinals against Wesley would be enough satisfaction without anonymous smiting on top of it.

I still would like to know what he meant by round robin.  I can be real slow on the uptake with hidden meaning.   

02 Warhawk

-Ski

-Ski

-Ski

You would think the Wesley coaching staff would have been a little less spiteful in their loss.

FYI...I wasn't the "curmudgeonly" fan who did the smiting. But I can think of a few usual suspects  :)

bleedpurple

D3 TOP 25 FAN POLL:  WEEK 7

1.  Wisconsin-Whitewater (16)          400      1(LW)
2.  Mount Union                                383       2
3.  St. Thomas                                  363      3
4.  Mary Hardin-Baylor                      346      4
5.  Linfield                                        344      5
6.  North Central                              306       6
7.  Wesley                                        292      7
8.  Thomas More                              262       8
9.  Montclair St.                               259       9
10.  Wabash                                    230      10
11. (t) Bethel                                  215      12
11.(t)  Kean                                    215      13
13.  California Lutheran                   174      15
14.  Illinois Wesleyan                      170      18
15.  Delaware Valley                       164      17
16.  Wheaton                                  163      14
17.  Wartburg                                 145      19
18.  Salisbury                                 123      21
19   Redlands                                 116      20
20.  Wisconsin-Oshkosh                   93      22
21.  Johns Hopkins                           63      24
22.  Cortland State                           59      16
23.  Franklin                                     45      unranked
24.  Louisiana College                       35      unranked
25.  Adrian                                       33      25

Dropped Out of Top 25: Wittenberg, Dubuque

Also Receiving Votes: Alfred (23), Birmingham-Southern (22), Wittenberg (19), McMurry (15), UW-Platteville (15), Dubuque (14), Centre (13), St. Olaf (12), Hampden-Sydney (11) Hobart (11), Ohio Northern (10), Wisconsin-Eau Claire (9), Trinity (7), Washington and Lee (7), Monmouth (6), St. John Fisher (5), Huntingdon (3).

Ralph Turner

Quote from: emma17 on October 11, 2011, 12:44:47 PM

-Ski

-Ski

-Ski

I still would like to know what he meant by round robin.  I can be real slow on the uptake with hidden meaning.
"Round robin" menas that every team plays every other team in the conference to determine the conference championship.

The NCAC only plays 6 of a possible 8 conference games.

In the early part of the last decade, the 11-team Middle Atlantic Conference did not play a complete conference schedule.

The Big Ten (or "XI" or "12") did not play a full "round robin" football conference schedule, before they broke into divisions.

smedindy

Actually, the Big 10 did play round-robins for a few years. (1982-84).

The NCAC is going for a full-round robin in 2013 after the UAA agreement is finished and a year after DPU joins.

emma17

Round robin" menas that every team plays every other team in the conference to determine the conference championship.

Thanks Ralph.  For whatever reason, I've have always thought of the term "round robin" as a "tournament" phrase-I guess I can't smite Teamski for that.   
I won't smite him for the "self-induced a$$ whooping" comment either- I'll just credit Oshkosh for having giant kohones.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 11, 2011, 01:03:35 PM

-Ski

-Ski

-Ski

You would think the Wesley coaching staff would have been a little less spiteful in their loss.

FYI...I wasn't the "curmudgeonly" fan who did the smiting. But I can think of a few usual suspects  :)

Uncurmdgeonly fans can smite too.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: emma17 on October 11, 2011, 04:51:16 PM
Round robin" menas that every team plays every other team in the conference to determine the conference championship.

Thanks Ralph.  For whatever reason, I've have always thought of the term "round robin" as a "tournament" phrase-I guess I can't smite Teamski for that.   
I won't smite him for the "self-induced a$$ whooping" comment either- I'll just credit Oshkosh for having giant kohones.
Uh-oh, my keyboard dyslexia struck again!  (Is that a "dystypia"?)

smedindy

There are round-robin tournaments of course. Many times, the Olympics had round-robin tournaments that determined the champion in various sports (and still, they split into groups that do round-robin before having a single elimination final 8). In the World Cup, South America always plays a double round-robin to determine their qualifiers.

sflzman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 11, 2011, 07:33:58 PM

Dystypia --

(n) A condition where a person is unable to type, usually caused by fatigue, injury, distraction, and more often than not.. stupidity

Hmm depends on what your circumstances were there  ;)

Hopefully it is not the latter of the reasons in the definition ;D
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

Ralph Turner

Quote from: sflzman on October 11, 2011, 09:07:47 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 11, 2011, 07:33:58 PM

Dystypia --

(n) A condition where a person is unable to type, usually caused by fatigue, injury, distraction, and more often than not.. stupidity

Hmm depends on what your circumstances were there  ;)
Well, I was sober.  ;)