FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BerryViking92

I will be out of pocket the next few days.  So happy Thanksgiving to everyone here.

Wishing safe travels to all including the Berry team, families, fans on the long trip up north.  I will be listening on Saturday.  Pick your sports cliche, but hoping the Vikings will leave it all on field.  They gotta travel a long way, might as well shock the world while they are there.

albatross

Quote from: BerryViking92 on November 22, 2017, 07:53:40 AM
I will be out of pocket the next few days.  So happy Thanksgiving to everyone here.

Wishing safe travels to all including the Berry team, families, fans on the long trip up north.  I will be listening on Saturday.  Pick your sports cliche, but hoping the Vikings will leave it all on field.  They gotta travel a long way, might as well shock the world while they are there.

Yep! Happy Thanksgiving to all on this board, and the USAC South/ODAC/ASC folks that occasionally drop in!

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: albatross on November 22, 2017, 10:44:18 AM
Quote from: BerryViking92 on November 22, 2017, 07:53:40 AM

Yep! Happy Thanksgiving to all on this board, and the USAC South/ODAC/ASC folks that occasionally drop in!

Have a great time everyone.  Happy Thanksgiving.  My family has much to be thankful, hope everyone has likewise.

MUC57

Happy Thanksgiving from a Mount Union guy (alumnus) to everyone involved in the playoffs. Oh, what the hey, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Good luck to your team, whoever it is.
Hope all the games stay injury free. To all those traveling, have a safe trip.
I have to do this - Go Purple Raiders!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Ron Boerger

It's not official yet, but barring a miracle Berry will go down to St. Thomas today.   Nothing to be ashamed about today, Vikings; a solid job against a team much better than you'd seen before, and now you know what to expect in the future.   You have a .500 playoff record (or will) and not many first-year playoff teams can say that.

jamtod

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 25, 2017, 03:30:33 PM
It's not official yet, but barring a miracle Berry will go down to St. Thomas today.   Nothing to be ashamed about today, Vikings; a solid job against a team much better than you'd seen before, and now you know what to expect in the future.   You have a .500 playoff record (or will) and not many first-year playoff teams can say that.

Credit to your coaching staff for some nice halftime adjustments. Maybe the actual game is closer to the end, but I've got 3:30 left on my livestream and I think UST has it under control. Congrats on a great season and hope to see y'all again in the future.

Hawks88

Great effort today, Berry. It wasn't looking too good early but you made adjustments and kept fighting and made a game of it.

umhb2001

SAA, you can have your referees back. They don't seem to know how to call holding penalties. Good grief!  ::)
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

albatross

Quote from: umhb2001 on November 25, 2017, 05:22:59 PM
SAA, you can have your referees back. They don't seem to know how to call holding penalties. Good grief!  ::)

as a recent player I can tell you that the refs in the SAA have long been criticized. it really is a problem more often than not. except bill. bill and I are cool! lol :D

umhb2001

Quote from: albatross on November 26, 2017, 11:43:13 AM
Quote from: umhb2001 on November 25, 2017, 05:22:59 PM

as a recent player I can tell you that the refs in the SAA have long been criticized. it really is a problem more often than not. except bill. bill and I are cool! lol :D

+k

BerryCollegeFan

I thought Berry was overmatched on the lines, but was well matched up in other areas.  CB was maybe the other area.  Berry was a little smaller, but covered well most of the day.  UST's CBs height and length helped them cover better, especially some of the jump balls.  But Berry's WRs were able to get open and beat them on double moves several times. 

Overall a good effort, I just wished the offense had have been able to move the ball more earlier,  left the defense on the field too much in the 1st qtr.

umhb2001

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 27, 2017, 11:16:31 AM

I thought Berry was overmatched on the lines, but was well matched up in other areas.  CB was maybe the other area.  Berry was a little smaller, but covered well most of the day.  UST's CBs height and length helped them cover better, especially some of the jump balls.  But Berry's WRs were able to get open and beat them on double moves several times. 

Overall a good effort, I just wished the offense had have been able to move the ball more earlier,  left the defense on the field too much in the 1st qtr.

How would you describe the St. Thomas D?  I understand their secondary has size. Were they fast or were they behind? How did they attack the middle of the field? What was their ability to get to the outside?

paparcc

Quote from: umhb2001 on November 27, 2017, 08:09:43 PM

How would you describe the St. Thomas D?  I understand their secondary has size. Were they fast or were they behind? How did they attack the middle of the field? What was their ability to get to the outside?

I agree with BerryCollegeFan's assessment.  UST's domination of the LOS on both sides of the ball was the difference.  I was pleased with the fight the Vikings showed in the 2nd half.  There are no quitters or sissies on that team.  11-1, SAA Champs, and R2 of NCAA playoffs is a great season and all Berry fans are proud of this team.  No doubt they want to do even better in 2018.

My brief thoughts on UST.  Defense is average size and speed, though CB's are tall at 6-3.  A very cohesive unit that is seldom out of position, strong and physical.  The offense is old school, power I football with a big, strong OL and a FB.  Backs are not fast or shifty, but strong and run hard.....mostly between the tackles.  Will throw a pass occasionally off play action & QB roll to opposite side.  TE is big at 6-4 but used mostly to block.  WR's are average size and speed, but run crisp routes and have good hands.  Passing game is pretty basic.  Kicking game is very good.  Summary:  Not loaded with athletes and speed, but a big, strong team (especially OL) that knows it's strengths and plays to them.  Offensive and defensive schemes are not sophisticated, but they do what they do very well with few mistakes.  Exceptionally well coached in fundamentals, assignments, and very disciplined.  Strong run game can force opposing defense to load the box leaving DB's in single coverage.

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: paparcc on November 29, 2017, 08:19:57 PM
Quote from: umhb2001 on November 27, 2017, 08:09:43 PM

I agree with BerryCollegeFan's assessment.  UST's domination of the LOS on both sides of the ball was the difference.  I was pleased with the fight the Vikings showed in the 2nd half.  There are no quitters or sissies on that team.  11-1, SAA Champs, and R2 of NCAA playoffs is a great season and all Berry fans are proud of this team.  No doubt they want to do even better in 2018.

My brief thoughts on UST.  Defense is average size and speed, though CB's are tall at 6-3.  A very cohesive unit that is seldom out of position, strong and physical.  The offense is old school, power I football with a big, strong OL and a FB.  Backs are not fast or shifty, but strong and run hard.....mostly between the tackles.  Will throw a pass occasionally off play action & QB roll to opposite side.  TE is big at 6-4 but used mostly to block.  WR's are average size and speed, but run crisp routes and have good hands.  Passing game is pretty basic.  Kicking game is very good.  Summary:  Not loaded with athletes and speed, but a big, strong team (especially OL) that knows it's strengths and plays to them.  Offensive and defensive schemes are not sophisticated, but they do what they do very well with few mistakes.  Exceptionally well coached in fundamentals, assignments, and very disciplined.  Strong run game can force opposing defense to load the box leaving DB's in single coverage.

I agree, and will add.  Berry had trouble running up the middle,  the Dline was dominate, but the LBs were always where they should be and the safety was good in run support.  CBs are big with good speed and rarely out of position, but Berry's WRs did break open on a couple downfield throws and several double moves.  QB didn't have time to get those throws, but the WRs were open...

Early on when Berry did get some run stops, the QB would make a play rolling out of the pocket.  Later in the game Berry made adjustments to keep him more in the pocket in those situations.  They did get some sacks with added blitzes.  Berry also forced several turnovers from the RBs, Berry recovered a few of them.  Locals commented about how that was rare for UST.  But Berry has been forcing turnovers all year, so I didn't find that unexpected.

BerryCollegeFan

Congratulations to Coach Kunczewski for the Coach of the Year honor!
and the players as well on their recognitions!

2017 D3football.com All-South Region Team
Offensive Player of the Year: Jesse Zubik, WR, Washington & Jefferson
Defensive Player of the Year: Mamadou Soumahoro, DE, Berry
Coach of the Year: Tony Kunczewski, Berry

1st team
DE Mamadou Soumahoro Berry
3rd team
WR Mason Kinsey Berry
TE Tristen Cline Berry 

http://d3football.com/awards/all-region/2017/d3football-all-south-region-2017