Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Bart

Quote from: rudy on November 13, 2017, 10:17:05 PM
Bart, is Hobart roster always so large? I counted 34 on current roster. That's rather large.

I think they have expanded the roster for several reasons. Their pressing style means more subbing.
Their physical play seems to lead to more injuries. It is likely hard to be sure exactly how many of the recruits will actually matriculate. 

A quick check of other LL teams shows Union (35), RPI (33), RIT (31) andSkidmore (31) all with large rosters.  Clarkson lists 30, the rest roster 26-28.  I'm guesstimating that most teams lose two to three players a season due to injury, and a few more likely miss several games IN season for injuries.

Falconer

Quote from: Bartman on November 13, 2017, 08:22:35 AM
Congratulations to the Statesmen for the win against Buff State and for a gutsy , intense performance against Messiah last night....Messiah is obviously a highly skilled side, but the Statesmen almost pulled it off on some chances.....my complements to both teams on keeping this fan on the edge of his seat the whole game...good luck to Messiah the rest of the way

Yes, indeed, Hobart played an excellent game and nearly pulled it off. Both teams had a couple of terrific scoring opportunities that they failed to convert. Hobart dominated in stretches, Messiah in others. One of the ways to beat Messiah's one-touch game is to use lots of pressure, and that's what Hobart did--and very cleanly. They are talented, and they implemented their style with diligence, intelligence, and discipline. They absolutely belonged in the tournament and almost made the Sweet Sixteen. Congratulations to the Statesmen for a highly successful season.

Kick-grass

Hobart represented the LL well, beat Buff St (3rd best SUNYAC team) and held their own against a good Messiah side. Last year they won the Regular Season for the first time since 2008, and this year repeated a Regular Season title adding the LL Playoff Championship and a good showing in the NCAA. Something is brewing there and wouldn't be surprised to see them outdoing themselves again next season.

rudy

Quote from: Kick-grass on November 14, 2017, 10:43:06 AM
Hobart represented the LL well, beat Buff St (3rd best SUNYAC team) and held their own against a good Messiah side. Last year they won the Regular Season for the first time since 2008, and this year repeated a Regular Season title adding the LL Playoff Championship and a good showing in the NCAA. Something is brewing there and wouldn't be surprised to see them outdoing themselves again next season.

I noticed they had a few new England prep school players on the roster. That's a good way to get some talented international players as well. I wonder if they have a history of recruiting these players in just more recently.

Saint of Old

Hobart is a class program and will be quite a challenge for the rest of the league for years to come with their solid recruiting and coaching staff.
The Statesmen held their own and out played messiah for major parts of their game in the dance.

Team just needs consistent scoring and it will be tough to move them from atop the league standings.

Going undefeated in the league throughout the playoffs is not done often and they managed that feat with their feet.

Saint of Old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P86wWY077qY&t=1394s

St. Lawrence University Saints Football Circa 2000 (Defending Champs).

For Old School Saints and classic fans.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Saint of Old on January 09, 2018, 04:07:08 PM

Ah the old video system at the beginning of the decade...Forgot about all that..Good Stuff Saint..

Saint of Old

Quote from: Mr.Right on January 10, 2018, 03:34:56 PM

Ah the old video system at the beginning of the decade...Forgot about all that..Good Stuff Saint..

Thanks Mr. R.
I will dig into the archives and try to locate the classic Williams @ SLU 1998 clash of the Titans on a brisk fall afternoon.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Saint of Old on January 10, 2018, 04:09:18 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on January 10, 2018, 03:34:56 PM

Thanks Mr. R.
I will dig into the archives and try to locate the classic Williams @ SLU 1998 clash of the Titans on a brisk fall afternoon.

Saint u wuld be my hero if you culd find video of that game. "A brisk fall afternoon"?????...lmao IT WAS A BLIZZARD...I just assumed there was no video of that game because of the year and the weather...I have said this many times but IMO that Elite 8 matchup of Williams at SLU in 1998 was the 2 best teams in the country that year. That game was the Final in my mind..After watching the 1998 NCAA Final 4 the other 3 teams were NO MATCH for SLU and Williams that year..Of all the dispoointments Williams have had in the NCAA Tournament over the years I really think 1998 was the worst..After "surviving" in Canton,NY that year Williams flat out should have won the 1998 NCAA Championship. 1st of all they should have hosted the Final 4 not OWU. They lost 1-0 to OWU on a bad GK'ing error by GK Ryan Spicer( Yes for all you political followers that is Sean Spicey's brother) and just could not score against OWU..They had them pinned in all game and were frustrated time and time again. The talent level was not even comparable. I mean they beat 1998 SLU who IIRC had basically the same team come back in 1999 the year they went undefeated and won the 1999 NCAA Championship and were absolutely unstoppable. Just a shame but it is what it is...Still I would love it if you could dig up that masterpiece...

Mr.Right

Saint---Seriously not trying to rub it in but maybe ask Durocher while you are on this other mission if he has a copy of the video of another classic 2004 NCAA Sweet 16 game between SLU v Williams which Williams were lucky to hold on and win in OT. 2 VERY good teams that day as well. That year was the year that Williams happened to catch SLU in one of their worst times in program history when a SLU player(sorry do not remember his name)was found dead the same week of the game. Just an awful situation and you could tell SLU's players were seriously distracted but even still they had numerous chances to win that match...Of course after such a great win by Williams over SLU on Saturday, Williams proceeds to dominate and lose to Geneseo St in the Elite 8. IIRC they had a goal called back but just another disappointing NCAA loss for Williams.

Saint of Old

Wee needed to drop that game against Williams to have the PAIN necessary to win a title.
Williams is a class, class program.
They went to the finals in 1993 and then won it all in 95.
Infact I think the Seniors we played in Canton 98 were freshmen when Williams got their crown and it showed.
They played like Champions on the road against a team boasting a good defense and a future MLS starting goalie and came out on top.
Williams should have def won the title that year.
They were talented enough to do it.
I think that when a good team feels enough pain in a loss, it helps them go to the next stage themselves (@least in the 90s) :
Pistons got pissed after losing to the Celtics and then got their Chip.
Bulls got mad about losing to Bad Boys, then got their Chip.
Williams got theirs after heart breaking loss in Finals 2 yrs before.
SLU won the year after the epic battle against Williams in Quaters at home.
Messiah won a year after losing a heart breaker to to SLU in Quaters at home
Richard Stocton won 2 years after being hit hard by Wheaton in the Final 4.

Our game is 2 percent physical and 98 mental :)
In 98, SLU had just lost its 3x AA midfielder to season ending injury, but you are Right Mr. R.
The formation and personel adjustment  changes for the Williams game were kept for 99.

I will make it my mission to get that 98 game, seems I only have regular season games that year.
The SLU program has been taping games since early 90s.
Our film and scouting sessions were a big part of what the team did.

The 2004 game from what I hear was a classic also.
After my time though.
Two great teams battling in a game that tested them both.

Ommadawn

Quote from: Mr.Right on January 11, 2018, 05:05:18 PM.After "surviving" in Canton,NY that year Williams flat out should have won the 1998 NCAA Championship. 1st of all they should have hosted the Final 4 not OWU. They lost 1-0 to OWU on a bad GK'ing error by GK Ryan Spicer( Yes for all you political followers that is Sean Spicey's brother) and just could not score against OWU..They had them pinned in all game and were frustrated time and time again. The talent level was not even comparable.

Thank you for this trivia gem, Mr. Right! 

"It was the biggest attendance of any match in NCAA Division III history. Period."  ;)

Mr.Right

Quote from: Ommadawn on January 12, 2018, 08:55:50 AM
Quote from: Mr.Right on January 11, 2018, 05:05:18 PM.After "surviving" in Canton,NY that year Williams flat out should have won the 1998 NCAA Championship. 1st of all they should have hosted the Final 4 not OWU. They lost 1-0 to OWU on a bad GK'ing error by GK Ryan Spicer( Yes for all you political followers that is Sean Spicey's brother) and just could not score against OWU..They had them pinned in all game and were frustrated time and time again. The talent level was not even comparable.

"It was the biggest attendance of any match in NCAA Division III history. Period."  ;)

The funny thing is Ryan who is Spicey's brother is like the nicest kid you could ever meet. Super laid back and a tremendous athlete.

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: Mr.Right on January 25, 2018, 12:53:53 PM
Quote from: Ommadawn on January 12, 2018, 08:55:50 AM

The funny thing is Ryan who is Spicey's brother is like the nicest kid you could ever meet. Super laid back and a tremendous athlete.

Ryan was the goalie for the back-to-back RI state champion Barrington HS (my hometown) teams from 1996-97, which were probably the best HS teams in RI history.  Those Barrington teams also had Brian Purcell (1980 birth year) who was a member of the 1997 U-17 U.S. World Cup squad.

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on January 25, 2018, 12:53:53 PM

That is too funny. They didn't have any trouble spelling his name in the Williams newspaper, did they? ;)