WBB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by Warrior Fish, December 16, 2004, 12:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on February 21, 2013, 09:39:31 PM
Final:  CUW 47, Maranatha 40

Maranatha had it down to 5 with 1 1/2 minutes left, but couldn't convert on their opportunities. Falcons hit late FTs to seal it.

Other game final:  WLC 69, Benedictine 47

For the third year in a row it'll be another Falcon/Warrior tournament final.

Last year it was WLC/Dominican final (even though the WLC-CUW semifinal eventually decided the title then).
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

WLCALUM83

How soon I forget. I stand corrected.

Captain_Joe08

Don't worry WLCAlum, we college students have those days....Also it says alot about how Dominican went from 19-9 and an appearance in the conference tournament finals to dead last in the south at 1-24. Especially since the combined records of the top two finishers in the South last year are a combined 3-46 this year.

Captain_Joe08

Well I'll give my thoughts on Saturday's Game.

Concordia Wisconsin 19-8 (14-4) at Wisconsin Lutheran 24-2 (17-0): If the last few games between these two have any bearing then this will be a game of momentum swings. WLC needs to keep making shots and playing lockdown defense and they should be fine here. I'll take the Warriors.

WLCALUM83

Final:  WLC 75, CUW 52    Way to seize the opportunity, Warriors!

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on February 23, 2013, 09:47:05 PM
Final:  WLC 75, CUW 52    Way to seize the opportunity, Warriors!

I was at the game (and as a result of being in the Sixth Man, having no voice afterwards). The game was over after the first two minutes when CUW turned the ball over twice on their first few possessions. WLC put the hammer down and built a lead that at times was 25 or better before settling for a 42-19 halftime score.

The second half was no different as the Warriors did not allow Concordia to get within 19 and cruised to a dominating win. I am more surprised that CUW could not get back within the game after the first half. WLC thoroughly blitzed them all night long.

Captain_Joe08

Here is the bigger debate for WLC fans: Which Northern Athletics Conference title was more impressive?

10-11: 26-4 (16-2) First ever win in the NCAA tournament, School Record for wins.
11-12: 24-5 (17-1) Knocking off eventual D2 Sunshine Conference Co-Champs Barry University
12-13: 26-2 (17-0) First team to run the table in conference play, Setting the school record for consecutive wins (still active)

WLCALUM83

There is more than one angle to look at for comparisons. 

10-11:  Was Erika Laete's Senior year and the Warriors had knocked off ranked UW-Whitewater early. Of their in-conference losses, I'd say the least expected one was the one they took at CUC that season. (That was when the Cougars still had high scoring Marche Smith, it was her Senior year.) Right toward the end Erika was called upon to step up her game, and boy, did she ever, going off for 50 pts vs. Dominican. (the win over the Warhawks factored into the favorable first round tournament draw the Warriors got, and they knocked off a UW-LaCrosse squad that had a size advantage but had an off-game shooting from outside vs. WLC.

11-12:    From an in-conference performance standpoint, I'd say this was probably the most impressive Warrior performance of the 3 seasons. Rachel Johnson and Shavon Dillon were the leading scorers, but there was better overall WLC team balance for the entire conference sesaon, and the same player wasn't called upon to come up with a super-big game.  Edgewood, CUW and Lakeland were in WLC's division as in 10-11  as well (IMHO, the North, at least on paper,seemed to be the tougher side).

12-13:   As Captain Joe 08 pointed out in an earlier post, the drop-offs of MSOE and Dominican factor in somewhat this year. The Warrior balance and defense was generally as consistent this year as 11-12--

Captain_Joe08

D3hoops has the Warriors going to Cornell (IA) to face the Rams in the first round. I would find that ironic if it that happens because the Men's Tennis team is heading out to Cornell for Tennis that same weekend  ;D.

Just Bill

Wisconsin Lutheran goes to UW-Whitewater to play the Warhawks. Other half of the pod is Carthage and Thomas More.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: Just Bill on February 25, 2013, 02:58:06 PM
Wisconsin Lutheran goes to UW-Whitewater to play the Warhawks. Other half of the pod is Carthage and Thomas More.

Very favorable matchup for WLC. Coach Klay got the chance to scout UWW yesterday and he said that they have a good shot of beating them. I think it's possible for WLC to win both games this weekend.

Just Bill

I'll root for WLC, but I'll take Whitewater to win by 20+.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

thrunt01

Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on February 25, 2013, 03:04:17 PM
Quote from: Just Bill on February 25, 2013, 02:58:06 PM

Very favorable matchup for WLC. Coach Klay got the chance to scout UWW yesterday and he said that they have a good shot of beating them. I think it's possible for WLC to win both games this weekend.

Not a chance. I think UWW pounds them.

Captain_Joe08

Don't think Whitewater runs away with it. WLC has been flying under the radar the entire season and been playing very good basketball into the tournament.

Captain_Joe08

Here is the all conference selections

http://northernac.org/sports/wbkb/2012-13/all-conference

Dillion as POY, Coach Klay and Coach Morrison are co-COY.