FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigma one

On the Wabash roster is a freshman with the name  Heisman Skeens.  Yes, Heisman is his name, after the trophy.  The story is that his mom and dad had an agreement that if their first born was a boy the dad could name him; if a girl, mom got the choice.  Dad is a big football fan, so . . .Heisman played for Mississinewa high school in Indiana.  He was a productive running back, gaining over 3000 yards for his career and catching a bunch of passes.  I saw one set of stats that said he scored 56 TDs in h.s.  He will play next week as a wide receiver in the annual Indiana North/South All-Star game.  Wabash lists him as a WR on the roster.  He's not big:  5'8'', 170 lbs.  Somebody to watch the next several years.  Good luck, Heisman.

HCAlum86

Well - props to Hiram for scheduling Marietta... but I bet no one expected Marietta to be in the preseason Top 25 with a Gagliardi candidate at RB when this agreement was inked.
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: HCAlum86 on July 12, 2019, 10:34:52 AM
Well - props to Hiram for scheduling Marietta... but I bet no one expected Marietta to be in the preseason Top 25 with a Gagliardi candidate at RB when this agreement was inked.

Saying that's a safe bet is an understatement.  Waddle seems to be building some real momentum on the river.  Replacing Fields at QB and 2 AA OL will be a hurdle but Etta is no pushover anymore.

83 Little Giant

Found this tidbit on the MIAC board about attendance at DIII football games.  For what it is worth, Wabash is in the top 10.  However, I trust these numbers as much as I do when playing liars poker.  Regardless, something to share as we begin the ramp up to another season.

https://athletics.bethel.edu/news/2019/7/19/bethel-footballs-2018-attendance-no-4-in-ncaa-diii.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0Ygy7vKY5m7TjYyhEE1sRsJBWONBpf53SXxFvt_XA76roHTGiB_xa1xjo

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: 83 Little Giant on July 26, 2019, 05:28:39 PM
Found this tidbit on the MIAC board about attendance at DIII football games.  For what it is worth, Wabash is in the top 10.  However, I trust these numbers as much as I do when playing liars poker.  Regardless, something to share as we begin the ramp up to another season.

https://athletics.bethel.edu/news/2019/7/19/bethel-footballs-2018-attendance-no-4-in-ncaa-diii.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0Ygy7vKY5m7TjYyhEE1sRsJBWONBpf53SXxFvt_XA76roHTGiB_xa1xjo

Wabash had the Bell game this year so over half of their 20k was from that game. Pretty much every home game it was really cold and windy too.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

sigma one

Wooster has posted its 2019 pre-season roster, with freshmen.  Looks like a total of 99 players, 43 of them first years.  A couple of contributors I expected to see from last year are not included.   

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: sigma one on July 27, 2019, 02:03:41 PM
Wooster has posted its 2019 pre-season roster, with freshmen.  Looks like a total of 99 players, 43 of them first years.  A couple of contributors I expected to see from last year are not included.

I haven't looked at it yet, but who do you see not included?
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

sigma one

Please check me, but those who I didn't see are Cerniglia (WR), Poeschel (OL), and Fair (DB).  Poeschel, in particular, is a surprise because he played a lot last year on the line.  Cernigilia sticks out because Wooster returns only Strausbaugh (and he's a really good one)  from their leading WRs last year.  I don't know Woo's line up well enough to notice if there are others. 
     Also, it appears from the early roster that Wabash returns everyone I expected to see.  Someone speculated earlier that Page might return for a fifth year because he lost a year to injury.  I did not expect that to happen, and he is not on the roster.     
     Of course, we will see what happens with all the teams when camps start.

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: sigma one on July 28, 2019, 01:46:08 PM
Please check me, but those who I didn't see are Cerniglia (WR), Poeschel (OL), and Fair (DB).  Poeschel, in particular, is a surprise because he played a lot last year on the line.  Cernigilia sticks out because Wooster returns only Strausbaugh (and he's a really good one)  from their leading WRs last year.  I don't know Woo's personeel well enough to notice if there are others. 
     Also, it appears from the early roster that Wabash returns everyone I expected to see.  Someone speculated earlier that Page might return for a fifth year because he lost a year to injury.  I did not expect that to happen, and he is not on the roster.     
     Of course, we will see what happens with all the teams when camps start.

I do not see those three either.

Wabash returns everyone...I think I might have brought up the Page thing earlier this year, he had the option if he wanted to come back but from what I was told was ready to graduate and move on. I don't blame him.

The only Wabash player who I don't see that I can remember (having attended Wabash) is punter Alex Marr. He was going to be a senior, but not a big blow as Joey Annee should step in and be fine...which he kind of took over anyway last year.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

sigma one

Wittenberg at #18 and Wabash at #23 in the DIIIFB pre-season poll.  In the NCAC pre-season guesses Wabash gets 6 (of 10) 1st-place votes, Witt gets 3, and Denison, 1.

Bishopleftiesdad

OWU predicted as 6th place in NCAC poll.

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: sigma one on August 08, 2019, 07:16:40 PM
Witenberg at #18 and Wabash at #23 in the DIIIFB pre-season poll.  In the NCAC pre-season guesses Wabash gets 6 (of 10) 1st-place votes, Witt gets 3, and Denison, 1.

Would say that's about accurate IMO. Witt might be too high, Wabash is probably about right.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

wabashcpa

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/football/college/region-collegians-region-well-represented-on-wabash-football-team/article_4f9b22d8-a816-5883-9d53-4064f385df57.html?fbclid=IwAR0Y_tyJdVhqjiDloHbir4BY6P3XgiZRflfwMZGsYbp_bSyxUj6xz6sSy7I

Friend of mine from high school wrote the article.  This quote from Morel has me struggling:

"The kids have higher expectations than me," Morel said. "That's what makes it such an easy place to coach."

Great that the kids have high expectations, I would expect nothing less.  But higher than the head coach?  That's a disconnect for me.

wally_wabash

Quote from: wabashcpa on August 12, 2019, 11:55:35 PM
https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/football/college/region-collegians-region-well-represented-on-wabash-football-team/article_4f9b22d8-a816-5883-9d53-4064f385df57.html?fbclid=IwAR0Y_tyJdVhqjiDloHbir4BY6P3XgiZRflfwMZGsYbp_bSyxUj6xz6sSy7I

Friend of mine from high school wrote the article.  This quote from Morel has me struggling:

"The kids have higher expectations than me," Morel said. "That's what makes it such an easy place to coach."

Great that the kids have high expectations, I would expect nothing less.  But higher than the head coach?  That's a disconnect for me.

Can't it just be that he's giving the players the spotlight?  I don't think it has to be any more complicated than that. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wabashcpa

Quote from: wally_wabash on August 13, 2019, 09:34:33 AM
Quote from: wabashcpa on August 12, 2019, 11:55:35 PM

“The kids have higher expectations than me,” Morel said. “That’s what makes it such an easy place to coach.”

Can't it just be that he's giving the players the spotlight?  I don't think it has to be any more complicated than that.

If it wasn't Morel, maybe.  But what exactly has he done to inspire confidence in anybody?  I commend him for the job he did keeping the kids together last year with dealing with the Hansen tragedy, but he has never exuded a championship vibe to me.  Do you think the kids had higher expectations than Creighton or Raeburn?  I don't.  If I'm reading too much into it, then guilty as charged.