NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Quote from: Buck O. on November 04, 2017, 11:16:01 AM
I caught a few minutes and that is well done. Nothing like Gameday and team bonding in the first week as it is a great way to bring Frosh into the mix right away. It looks like every player has each others back which is good to see..

I'm having trouble finding it.  Would you mind providing a link?
[/quote]

Buck, if you click on the words video series you should be able to get it.

SoccerMom_5

Lol.  Are we watching the same game?  (Actually, I am pretty sure my feed is lagging behind.)

My read:
Bowdoin is playing primarily a possession game and has had a good 80% possession until the first sub came in about 5 minutes ago as I type.  Middlebury has been kicking a lot of Hail Marys, but Bowdoin is playing a pretty focused possession  game working the ball through the field abd playing primarly to feet on the ground. 

There have been a lot of physical plays both ways, but the ref is letting them play, so not so much stoppage.  The ref seems pretty good so far and calls (or no-calls) have been very consistent.   

Since they subbed (maybe about 10 minutes ago now)  Middlebury has had some more chances and it has been broken up the flow a of the game a little more.  Midd has been doing better breaking up Bowdoin's ground game.  And...since Midd wants to play an air game and they have had the ball more, it is looking a little choppier, with more stop and go.

We will see which direction the rest of the game it goes, i guess... but... I thought the flow of the game started out pretty smooth and was possession-oriented  to start with. I suppose it will depend whoch team has the ball, as that seems like it will determine the style of play...

On another note:
Bowdoin defense is being conservative today (as I suppose we all could have expected from them --for better or for worse--  in a playoff game)    Even so, are you noticing that even in a game when their defensive strategy definitely has a more conservative bent... are you noticing how frequently the Bowdoin backs overlap their DMs and carry the ball across the midfield themselves?

Mr.Right

Jesus...Midd and Bowdoin 0-0 at Halftime and I am guessing we have maybe 2 SOG all game total. Bowdoin did have 2 legit chances in the 1st 10 minutes 1 off a Ellsworth set piece but Bowdoin could not finish. Goulart causing Bowdoin some problems on the left flank where he loves to take guys on 1v1 and come inside..tedious and cautious affair so far. I expect emotions to heat up 2nd Half

Mr.Right

Quote from: SoccerMom_5 on November 04, 2017, 02:36:13 PM
Lol.  Are we watching the same game?  (Actually, I am pretty sure my feed is lagging behind.)

My read:
Bowdoin is playing primarily a posession game and has had a good 80% posession until the first sub came in about 5 minutes ago as I type.  Middlebury has been kicking a lot of Hail Marys, but Bowdoin is playing a pretty focused posession game working the ball through the field amd playing primarly to feet on the ground. 

There have been a lot of physical plays both ways, but the ref is letting them play, so not so much stoppage.  The ref seems pretty good so far and calls (or no-calls) have been very consistent.   

Since they subbed (maybe about 10 minutes ago now)  Middlebury has had some more chances and it has been broken up the flow a little more, since they have doing better breaking up Bowdoin's ground game.  And...since Midd wants to play an air game and they have had the ball more, it is looking a little choppier, with more stop and go.

We will see which direction the rest of the game it goes, i guess... but... I thought the flow of the game was pretty smooth and possession-oriented  to start with.

On another note,  Bowdoin defense is being conservative (as I expected in a playoff game) but are you noticing that even in a game when their defensive strategy definitely has a more conservative bent... are you noticing how frequently the Bowdoin backs overlap their DMs and carry the ball across the midfield themselves?

Ugh...Midd is letting Bowdoin possess in the back in their own end. they are not pressing them until they cross midfield. The second Bowdoin plays a ball to their striker it is given away...That is called Possession without progression....Also THERE IS NO FLOW..I swear Bowdoin could put an insomniac to sleep.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 04, 2017, 02:39:22 PM

My read:
Bowdoin is playing primarily a posession game and has had a good 80% posession until the first sub came in about 5 minutes ago as I type.  Middlebury has been kicking a lot of Hail Marys, but Bowdoin is playing a pretty focused posession game working the ball through the field amd playing primarly to feet on the ground. 

Since they subbed (maybe about 10 minutes ago now)  Middlebury has had some more chances and it has been broken up the flow a little more, since they have doing better breaking up Bowdoin's ground game.  And...since Midd wants to play an air game and they have had the ball more, it is looking a little choppier, with more stop and go.

We will see which direction the rest of the game it goes, i guess... but... I thought the flow of the game was pretty smooth and possession-oriented  to start with.

On another note,  Bowdoin defense is being conservative (as I expected in a playoff game) but are you noticing that even in a game when their defensive strategy definitely has a more conservative bent... are you noticing how frequently the Bowdoin backs overlap their DMs and carry the ball across the midfield themselves?

Ugh...Midd is letting Bowdoin possess in the back in their own end. they are not pressing them until they cross midfield. The second Bowdoin plays a ball to their striker it is given away...That is called Possession without progression....Also THERE IS NO FLOW..I swear Bowdoin could put an insomniac to sleep.

Lol...Mr. Right..right on track...

SoccerMom_5

My read:

Haha.  I think we are watching the same game, but that we are watching for different things.   
I am interested in the mental aspect of the play... the strategies and adjustments, I am watching a lot of off-ball movement (as much as one can on a livefeed), so I have found this game interesting as long as they were playing feet.   I have noticed you like the high-scoring games, but I find those less interesting; I  get bored in the NESCAC high scoring games, because they always seem to happen with long-balls and break-aways.  This game, I mostly have found interesting

Mr.Right

0-0 Midd and Bowdoin heading to OT..2 SOG all game...I seriously nodded off with about 15 minutes left...I am not kidding... A draw is not helpful to either side but we are heading in that direction...Ok now I am awake..Bowdoin has scored 1 goal in its last 360 minutes.

Mr.Right

Midd and Bowdoin heading to 2OT...Atleast Midd's Goulart and Potter are showing some skill as both are having solid games and causing some problems.

Mr.Right

That was worth waking up for...Just a brilliant goal by Goulart to win it for Midd 1-0...What a strike..Between Goulart and Halliday today I think we might have a POY right there. Bowdoin now on a serious bubble..Midd should be ok.

Mr.Right

BTW the whole play started on a workmanlike effort by Midd's Oudet to break up a play and send a long ball down to Reid who sent a ball across the top of the box to Davis then Goulart with the strike..Goulart the Player of the match but a tip of the cap to the effort by Oudet on the play

Bucket

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 04, 2017, 04:07:26 PM
BTW the whole play started on a workmanlike effort by Midd's Oudet to break up a play and send a long ball down to Reid who sent a ball across the top of the box to Davis then Goulart with the strike..Goulart the Player of the match but a tip of the cap to the effort by Oudet on the play

My 11yo made the exact same observation about Oudet, crediting him with setting everything up. Of course, my boy plays defense for his club team, so he appreciates such play.

And what a world-class strike by Goulart.

SoccerMom_5

My read:

Yeah -- Bowdoin's backline is being conservative.  Wherever the backline is, is where Bowdoin will possess.  They are being the "bunkered in" Bowdoin now... probably counting on Van Siclen if it comes to PKs.   For sure... if the CBs don't push up, Bowdoin won't score.   

On another note:    The word "possess" inherently implies "flow" to me.  How are you using the word "flow?" 

SoccerMom_5

My read:

That last OT was a good game by Midd.  They deserved to win that OT.  They were playing like they wanted to win in OT, while Bowdoin was playing like they think they should play when they don't want to lose... which nearly ALWAYS causes them to give up a goal.
Every time they do that, they give up a goal.  And, if they can't learn from that...  then I guess they deserve to lose.

Watching on the feed, I could not get a very good feel for what was going on in the back line, but... as soon as I saw that they were intending to play as low as they were playing in the front, I suspected it would end badly for Bowdoin.  When the camera was on the box and I saw that Byrd was sitting in it, I knew it would.  Not because Byrd is a problem... but because his presence there was a sign of the 2017=2018 Bowdoin team's fatal flaw rearing its head.   I had hoped they would overcome it, but... not to be.   

I suppose that ends their bid for NCAAs also.  Too bad.  I was rooting for them... but... if you don't play like you want to win, then you deserve to lose.   

I suppose Wiercinski will have a lot fo rebuilding to do after this year.   

Think I am going to probably watch for Colby next season in the NESCAC. I liked them this year a lot, also. I thought Colby had some interesting kids, and they were very young this year, so I am hoping that is promising for the next couple of years being interesting play.

Buck O.

Quote from: blooter442 on November 04, 2017, 02:21:25 PM
Quote from: Buck O. on November 04, 2017, 11:16:01 AM
I caught a few minutes and that is well done. Nothing like Gameday and team bonding in the first week as it is a great way to bring Frosh into the mix right away. It looks like every player has each others back which is good to see..

I'm having trouble finding it.  Would you mind providing a link?

Buck, if you click on the words video series you should be able to get it.
[/quote]

Oops.  Sorry.  I was reading the email on my phone and couldn't see that the hyperlink was a hyperlink.

Clotpoll

Scholastic soccer...the perfect place for managers to:

1. Take chances to try and score goals.
2. Keep the ball and manipulate it to move defenses.
3. Entertain the crowd.

What does virtually every NCAA manager (all levels) do? Set up to avoid mistakes. At least 6 behind the ball in possession, bunker after scoring, booming clearances, very little buildup thru the 1/3s.

Hugo Perez was our most influential (and best) youth NT manager in the '98-'00 age groups: the same ages of current NCAA sophs, freshmen and HS seniors. Hugo was an enormous (and successful) advocate of always playing on the front foot, having plenty of the ball, taking chances and most of all, allowing players to relax, have fun and go at the goal. Quite obvious now why he was let go by US Soccer. The way our managers want to play is dull, reactive and frankly, cynical.

We now have a form of the game that rewards farmers at every level, from town team, to NCAA, MLS and USMNT.