NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

I had to give Tufts the benefit of the doubt and actually see them live for the first time this year. I have only seen them on the stream and since I have been somewhat critical i wanted to get a better sniff. I came away very impressed today with most of what I saw except for a few things.

1. The heart and guts of this team is in midfield. They do all the little things that just do not show up in the boxscore.  I was most impressed with Kulcsar. He reminds me of some of the great midfielders that Williams used to have. The unsung heroes that do all the dirty work like Patrick Huffer, Tommy Day and Pete Christman. He can run all day and is the main reason you just cannot break Tufts down thru the middle of the field. Tufts does a great job of collapsing into a 4-5-1 immediately after they lose the ball and just suffocate the opponent. Halliday played well again today and almost had another incredible goal if not for a fantastic save by Midd's GK. That was highway robbery as it looked live like it was headed for the panel. Rojas got the game winner after a nice run and perfect service from the flank. So that was all very very impressive.

2. Just quickly I want to skip to Middlebury as they have nothing to feel bad about as they really left everything they had on the field today. Goulart was off but O'Grady was their best player on the day. Again he busted all game and looks like a walking band-aid as he really looks banged up but is still very effective and had a very good look today. He absolutely picked the pocket of Tufts CB Najjar and hit a bullet that I thought was in the net but I think it just went wide or over. That was a legit chance. Moffat and Robinson played very well dealing with that Braun who is an absolute animal up top and can really wear a defense down. The problem I think with Braun is he does not look as fit as his teammates and also wears down to the point of being just another body after 15-20 minutes but he did have a good look before the half but was closed very nicely by Midd and his left hoof was not quite fast enough on the release. Still for a big guy he has decent hoofs.

3. Middlebury has nothing to worry about tonight as they will get a Pool C. They have 6 losses BUT have beaten all the right teams in the past 2 weeks to get 3 ranked wins and it will be enough. In 2013, Williams had 6 losses and got a Pool C after losing in the Nescac Final to Amherst.

4. Recruiting--If someone in Nescac does not break up this Jersey pipeline going into Tufts year after year then this will continue. There is no reason for Middlebury, Williams, Amherst and Bowdoin to let this continue. The heart and soul and frankly the talent on these Tufts teams since 2011 has mostly come from Jersey except for a few. I mean the only seniors on this years team that even played in 2014 from what I can remember was Zinner and maybe Halliday but I do not remember Kulcsar at all in 2014 or even really 2015. So again like I said last year these kids get to Tufts and like Majumder and others tend to improve as they progress year to year which you do not see in every program. You see it some obviously but not quite at the same level

5. They still have a couple problems. That giveaway today by Najjar was bad and Tufts was lucky that O'Grady just missed. I do not like Mieth in net as much as Johnson. He did not do anything that cost Tufts today but just a bettors hunch that Tufts season will end on his mistake. I would feel a ton more comfortable with Greenwood back there but that is not happening. Also, again they rely on a late goal to win it which is fine but at some point that late goal will not be there. Then what? PK's...I would be curious to know Tufts 5 kickers and the order. Some players do not have the guts to take a PK in a pressure situation and would just be curious to know who on Tufts that is. The funny thing about PK's is everyone says it is the worst way to decide a game and it is but it is also a true read of an individual's confidence in himself. Some players will flat out tell a coach he does not feel comfortable taking PK's or will tell coach that he"isn't very good at them"..Is that really the issue or does he not want to be the guy standing out there alone on a stage and fail? Just an interesting read into a team I think.

Anyway...A very good Final today and congrats to Tufts...

Yes Bloots that Bird woman was there...I must say I am just so impressed that a grown woman arrives to a game and makes about 200 very loud and annoying bird noises...I mean either she is pure looney tunes or she is on some incredibly HEAVY MEDS..Either way that takes GUTS to consistently do this all game in front of virtual strangers. Almost like taking a PK but not quite

Mr.Right

Quote from: letsGOswans! on November 05, 2017, 09:13:32 PM
Ahh, can't be too optimistic about my Camels getting their first bid in history :(. Seems like bowdoin, midd, Amherst, and others from other conferences are ahead of them for that pool c. Would be a tall task even getting a fourth bid , let alone a fifth.

That would not be their first bid. Lessig took them in the mid 90's when they had some decent teams. But yea there have just been to many upsets for them to get a bid. Frankly Bowdoin has some serious problems tonight because that Springfield loss coupled with that ridiculously weak Maine schedule will hurt IMO

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 05, 2017, 09:57:01 PM
Ahh, can't be too optimistic about my Camels getting their first bid in history :(. Seems like bowdoin, midd, Amherst, and others from other conferences are ahead of them for that pool c. Would be a tall task even getting a fourth bid , let alone a fifth.

That would not be their first bid. Lessig took them in the mid 90's when they had some decent teams. But yea there have just been to many upsets for them to get a bid. Frankly Bowdoin has some serious problems tonight because that Springfield loss coupled with that ridiculously weak Maine schedule will hurt IMO

CT College will get a bid.

Bucket

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on November 06, 2017, 09:49:08 AM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 05, 2017, 09:57:01 PM

CT College will get a bid.

I don't see how they can, to be honest. With only 19 Pool Cs, how deep into New England will the committee go? There should be 4 or 5 teams ahead of them (teams not getting Pool As) in the final regional rankings.

maineman

What time is the selection show and is in streamed on NCAA Championships?

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: maineman on November 06, 2017, 10:12:39 AM

1pm for the woman

1:30pm for the men

Yes it is live streamed

blooter442

As Mr.Right said, it does appear that CC has been in the NCAA Tournament before, albeit a long time ago. Per the CC record books, it says that in 1995 they went to the "NCAA Metro Region Final 4." My guess is that means the Sweet 16, or the Sectional Semifinals, but the NCAA's website only has comprehensive bracket information going back to around 2000 I think. I would be curious to know who Conn. played.

Bobcat1

I think NESCAC is getting three Pool C bids - Amherst, Midd, and Bowdoin.  The Bears may very well have to go on the road to PA or Jersey as Tufts did the past 2 years, but I'm sure they will be happy just to get in.  Two teams get a bye in the first round. With Messiah losing on Saturday and Tufts winning both the NESCAC regular season and Tournament, the Jumbos could very well be watching on Saturday waiting to see who they play in the second round.  Here is a hunch: Springfield vs. St.Joe's in the first round with the winner playing Tufts on Sunday...

Bobcat1

Final Computer Rankings for NESCAC Teams Ranked in the last Regional Rankings By the Selection Committee

Massey: Tufts 1, Amherst 22, Conn 25, Midd 26, Williams 27, Bowdoin 30
Bennett: Tufts 5, Conn 25, Amherst 26, Williams 36, Bowdoin 49, Midd 52

Amherst is in for sure.  However, looking at the computer rankings you would think Conn is getting in, but in reviewing the NCAA Tournament selection criteria it would seem Midd and Bowdoin would get Pool C bids ahead of Conn. Maybe they all get in! We will know in 3 hours.

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 05, 2017, 09:54:42 PM
1. The heart and guts of this team is in midfield. They do all the little things that just do not show up in the boxscore.  I was most impressed with Kulcsar. He reminds me of some of the great midfielders that Williams used to have. The unsung heroes that do all the dirty work like Patrick Huffer, Tommy Day and Pete Christman. He can run all day and is the main reason you just cannot break Tufts down thru the middle of the field. Tufts does a great job of collapsing into a 4-5-1 immediately after they lose the ball and just suffocate the opponent. Halliday played well again today and almost had another incredible goal if not for a fantastic save by Midd's GK. That was highway robbery as it looked live like it was headed for the panel. Rojas got the game winner after a nice run and perfect service from the flank. So that was all very very impressive.

Yes Kulcsar is the unsung hero of that team, and, in my view, is this year's team MVP. Not the flashiest of players but you rarely see him put a foot wrong, and he is arguably the biggest reason that they have been so good defensively, although Coleman will probably get the plaudits for leading a backline that has conceded 1 goal (and I think he would deserve them). I also think it's accurate to say they collapse into a 4-5-1 when dispossessed, and I think this speaks to Shapiro's "team defense" concept. What is also evident with Tufts is that they understand how to balance pressing with not getting caught too high -- often times, when dispossessed, teams will press without the back line changing position. This can be dangerous as if the counter gets by the initial high press and then the midfield/defense they have a pretty open run at goal, but when you clog the middle like Tufts does with the outside backs pinching in it's much tougher to break down. Perhaps this explains why Tufts has been so resolute defensively without a cast of characters with names like Greenwood and Williams.

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 05, 2017, 09:54:42 PM
Yes Bloots that Bird woman was there...I must say I am just so impressed that a grown woman arrives to a game and makes about 200 very loud and annoying bird noises...I mean either she is pure looney tunes or she is on some incredibly HEAVY MEDS..Either way that takes GUTS to consistently do this all game in front of virtual strangers. Almost like taking a PK but not quite

I apologize for sounding like a grumpy old man at the age of 25, I promise I don't get annoyed that easily, but the woman's bird call is beyond obnoxious. If it wasn't so incessant, it might be tolerable, but it seems like it happens every throw-in/free-kick/stoppage. Not even joking, I muted the broadcast after the first 30 minutes or so because I couldn't stand it. Of course, I probably have done things that annoy fellow spectators as well, but certainly not like my college days (things used to get rowdy down in Coven's Corner, particularly during NCAA games ;)). Maybe I would be more sympathetic if I was a Tufts fan. Regardless, I would be very happy if it stopped.

maineman

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on November 06, 2017, 10:15:49 AM
Quote from: maineman on November 06, 2017, 10:12:39 AM

1pm for the woman

1:30pm for the men

Yes it is live streamed
Does anybody have a link for it?  I don't see one at NCAA Championship Live Videos.  Thanks!

blooter442

Quote from: maineman on November 06, 2017, 12:27:38 PM
Does anybody have a link for it?  I don't see one at NCAA Championship Live Videos.  Thanks!

1:00 ET Women's Selection Show
1:30 ET Men's Selection Show

Will post in "Now Streaming," too.

Update: As a poster in the Now Streaming thread noted, these shows are not "live" but instead videos that can be scrolled through. Makes for a much quicker viewing, but does ruin some of the suspense IMHO.

blooter442

Spoiler alert below:

Tufts with a first-round bye, will face the winner of St. Joseph's and Mitchell

Brandeis vs. WConn
RUN vs. Bowdoin @ Brandeis

Oneonta vs. WPI
Conn. vs. Rochester @ Oneonta

Amherst vs. Salem State
Springfield vs. Endicott @ Amherst

Middlebury vs. Stevens @ Cortland

lastguyoffthebench

That is a nightmare quadrant...

blooter442

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on November 06, 2017, 01:35:24 PM

That is a nightmare quadrant...

Not sure that they're all the same quadrant (I think that's the half)...was just listing NESCAC teams and their opening pods.