MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: amh63 on March 04, 2018, 12:40:35 PM
On the updated men's brackets.....Magicman....your team is going to PA!  Swarthmore, just outside Philly in the high cost area will host!

How are they not hosting? No bid put in? Distance? That's suprising, at least to me.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 04, 2018, 01:05:50 PM
On the updated men's brackets.....Magicman....your team is going to PA!  Swarthmore, just outside Philly in the high cost area will host!

How are they not hosting? No bid put in? Distance? That's suprising, at least to me.

We were told Swarthmore is better by the ranking criteria, so they got the opportunity.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

magicman

Thanks amh63.

I have been looking for info on where the sectional is going to be. The NCAA sucks. We should have been the host. Swarthmore didn't even win their conference tournament. The NCAA gives a sectional to an at large team that is ranked 3rd in their region over Plattsburgh,  SUNYAC regular season champs, SUNYAC conference tournament champs, #1 ranked team in their region, the best record among the 4 teams(tied with Hamilton) and the only host team in the quadrant that won their pod.

bear,

So much for the cheap NCAA (which we know how cheap they can be from past years) sending the 3 teams to Swarthmore which is the highest total mileage.

I really think those idiots from the NCAA are Trump supporters and they are screwing the New York teams because New York didn't go his way in the election.  ;D   

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

22-4, .523 was just not enough to overcome 22-5, .542, I guess.

Swat's gym is fine, not great, but fine - the facilities outside the gym - parking, lobby, bathrooms, etc - not so great.

I'd say, if you're coming, book a room in the hotel right next to campus so you can be sure to have parking.

magicman

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 04, 2018, 01:43:33 PM

Swat's gym is fine, not great, but fine - the facilities outside the gym - parking, lobby, bathrooms, etc - not so great.

I'd say, if you're coming, book a room in the hotel right next to campus so you can be sure to have parking.

Thanks Ryan,

I was prepared to go to Hamilton if they got to host and I would have went to Springfield but figured they had no chance. The only place I didn't want to go was Swarthmore. And so I won't be making that trip. Really upset that we didn't get it or at least make it more centrally located and give it to Hamilton. 

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

magicman

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 04, 2018, 02:01:59 PM
Save your money for Salem.

I sure hope you're right Greek, because I'm going there if the Cardinals are there. 8-)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: magicman on March 04, 2018, 01:52:44 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 04, 2018, 01:43:33 PM

Thanks Ryan,

I was prepared to go to Hamilton if they got to host and I would have went to Springfield but figured they had no chance. The only place I didn't want to go was Swarthmore. And so I won't be making that trip. Really upset that we didn't get it or at least make it more centrally located and give it to Hamilton.

Centrally located is only an issue if the extremes are 500 miles apart.  Swat to Plattsburgh or the other way around was going to be a long drive either way.  They felt Swat deserved it and I'm not complaining.  I can there in under an hour from my house!

thebear

Wondering if Plattsburgh women having to host hockey next weekend may be a reason for the 412 mile road trip?
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

spwood

Quote from: thebear on March 04, 2018, 04:44:49 PM
Wondering if Plattsburgh women having to host hockey next weekend may be a reason for the 412 mile road trip?

No.  This weekend Plattsburgh hosted the basketball regional, women's hockey conference championship game, and three high school sectional championship games.  Besides, the basketball team and the hockey teams play in separate buildings.  Would not have been a challenge to host both.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: spwood on March 04, 2018, 05:24:15 PM

No.  This weekend Plattsburgh hosted the basketball regional, women's hockey conference championship game, and three high school sectional championship games.  Besides, the basketball team and the hockey teams play in separate buildings.  Would not have been a challenge to host both.

Some years the committee won't send a sectional some place that's already hosting other events.  They don't want to run the risk of the hosts being short staffed - don't know if that's part of things this year or not, but it is sometimes a consideration.

spwood

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 04, 2018, 05:39:39 PM

Some years the committee won't send a sectional some place that's already hosting other events.  They don't want to run the risk of the hosts being short staffed - don't know if that's part of things this year or not, but it is sometimes a consideration.

As of right now, Plattsburgh isn't hosting anything else.  The women's hockey team is line to host a QF game next week, but the bracket isn't announced until tomorrow.

AllStar

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 04, 2018, 05:39:39 PM

Not something I believe is actually true. I have not heard a committee member ever utter that to me. Now, they will not send it if the facility is being used for something else (makes it hard on schools to black out dates, honestly, which is income lost)... and they won't send if men and women can both host... but I think this is a theory that hasn't necessary held up. SCHOOLs have done this in the past. They have turned it down because they are concerned (and usually scrambled to change course at the last moment which is too late), but not the committee.

As for Plattsburgh not hosting over Swarthmore... the criteria gives this to Swarthmore over Platt. I saw that as an easy decision between the two. FYI - winning your conference has NOTHING to do with this process and we shouldn't reference it. If that was the case, should Southern Vermont have hosted and not traveled to Wesleyan in the first weekend?
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

spwood

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 06, 2018, 02:48:46 PM

As for Plattsburgh not hosting over Swarthmore... the criteria gives this to Swarthmore over Platt. I saw that as an easy decision between the two. FYI - winning your conference has NOTHING to do with this process and we shouldn't reference it. If that was the case, should Southern Vermont have hosted and not traveled to Wesleyan in the first weekend?

I wasn't insinuating that was the reason Plattsburgh didn't host - I get that they would probably not have even been second in line based on ranking.  I was just saying that them not hosting was not because of other activities on campus.