BB: Regionals (Central) USA Stadium Millington TN (Rhodes)

Started by Ralph Turner, April 29, 2012, 07:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

The 2012 Central Regional will be held at the USA Baseball Stadium in Millington TN, hosted by Rhodes College.

Ralph Turner

I have copied this post from the Midwest Regional Board...

Quote from: Ricky Nelson on May 01, 2012, 02:02:21 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 30, 2012, 10:49:41 PM
Quote from: Ricky Nelson on April 29, 2012, 11:31:51 PM
I think it will be an eight-team regional this year.
Gonna go out onto the limb here...

Let's look at the concentration of teams which the NCAA needs to send to regionals by bus and not fly, I think that the NCAA puts the 6-team regionals at:

West  -- McMinnville --  with room for two (non-West Region) teams from the Central Time Zone to be flown to Oregon, especially if the West only has one Pool C bid.
Central -- Memphis --  BSC moves into this region and Pool B Wash U. plus SLIAC, CCIW and IIAC and a Pool C.
South -- CNU      --   Southernmost of the regionals in the Eastern time zone (CAC, ODAC, USASouth).
Midwest -- Prucha  -- I have trouble finding 8, especially with 2 apparent vacancies in the West, even moving the Midwest Conference into Prucha.
All IIAC teams and most CCIW teams would require a flight to Millington.
Thanks.

1) BSC
2) SLIAC
3) Wash U as a Pool B/C.

Who are #4- #6 in that bracket?

CCIW -- IWU is 453 miles from Rhodes. Augustana is 549 miles.

HCAC -- Rose-Hulman is 402 miles. Anderson is 514 (508 by google maps to Millington). Franklin is 471 miles.
Pres AC -- Thomas More, currently 2nd on the Pres AC is 469 miles.
IIAC -- Central is 579 miles from Rhodes. Coe is 557 miles. Luther is 666 miles.
NCAC -- DePauw, currently 2nd in the NCAC,  is 437 miles.

There may be a plane flight to Millington, regardless!  I think that Millington may get filled first if there are only 6 bus rides.

I am using NCAA Travel Distance to Rhodes as the proxy.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 01, 2012, 02:29:50 AM
I have copied this post from the Midwest Regional Board...

Quote from: Ricky Nelson on May 01, 2012, 02:02:21 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 30, 2012, 10:49:41 PM
Quote from: Ricky Nelson on April 29, 2012, 11:31:51 PM
I think it will be an eight-team regional this year.
Gonna go out onto the limb here...

Let's look at the concentration of teams which the NCAA needs to send to regionals by bus and not fly, I think that the NCAA puts the 6-team regionals at:

West  -- McMinnville --  with room for two (non-West Region) teams from the Central Time Zone to be flown to Oregon, especially if the West only has one Pool C bid.
Central -- Memphis --  BSC moves into this region and Pool B Wash U. plus SLIAC, CCIW and IIAC and a Pool C.
South -- CNU      --   Southernmost of the regionals in the Eastern time zone (CAC, ODAC, USASouth).
Midwest -- Prucha  -- I have trouble finding 8, especially with 2 apparent vacancies in the West, even moving the Midwest Conference into Prucha.
All IIAC teams and most CCIW teams would require a flight to Millington.
Thanks.

1) BSC
2) SLIAC
3) Wash U as a Pool B/C.

Who are #4- #6 in that bracket?

CCIW -- IWU is 453 miles from Rhodes. Augustana is 549 miles.

NPU is 535 miles.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

My projected Central regional:
1. WashU
2. Birmingham Southern
3. North Park
4. Chicago
5. IWU??
6. Webster

Coe and St. Norbert move to the Midwest regional.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Kohawk Krazy

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 13, 2012, 09:57:02 AM
1. WashU
2. Birmingham Southern
3. North Park
4. Chicago
5. IWU??
6. Webster

I don't think Coe goes to Whitewater.  With St. John's just beating St. Thomas, I think that will help keep Coe in the "Central" region.

mr_b

NCAA playoff field released

North Park will go to the Midwest Regional (Whitewater), along with Aurora and Concordia-Chicago.  Illinois Wesleyan will go the the Central (Millington, TN) also with Wash U and Webster.  Coe travels to Linfield in the West.

mr_b

1. WashU
2. Birmingham Southern
3. North Park
4. Chicago
5. IWU??
6. Webster

Any thoughts on why Chicago didn't get a bid?  They had a higher regional ranking than IWU.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mr_b on May 14, 2012, 07:23:33 AM
1. WashU
2. Birmingham Southern
3. North Park
4. Chicago
5. IWU??
6. Webster

Any thoughts on why Chicago didn't get a bid?  They had a higher regional ranking than IWU...
...until IWU played a more regionally ranked teams, played more in-region games and improved their SOS in the CCIW tournament.

But, that is my knee-jerk first response before analyzing the data more carefully.

The NCAA has not released the final regional ranking, yet and if they will.

OshDude

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 14, 2012, 08:11:23 AM
Quote from: mr_b on May 14, 2012, 07:23:33 AM
1. WashU
2. Birmingham Southern
3. North Park
4. Chicago
5. IWU??
6. Webster

Any thoughts on why Chicago didn't get a bid?  They had a higher regional ranking than IWU...
...until IWU played a more regionally ranked teams, played more in-region games and improved their SOS in the CCIW tournament.

But, that is my knee-jerk first response before analyzing the data more carefully.

The NCAA has not released the final regional ranking, yet and if they will.
Official word is they will release the final rankings.

BigPoppa

CCIWFAN6

For me, the key for IWU will be survival.  When looking at their pitching staff, they do not have one guy who is an Ace.  That normally makes it difficult in the first couple of games of a Regional tournament. Therefore, it will be important, as this team is pretty talented offensively, to survive to get into a 3rd game and beyond.  The difference between the pitcher they will throw in the first game and the 3rd or 4th is pretty minimal.

Bishopleftiesdad

Congratulations to Depauw for making the Tourney and getting shipped to Millington, for the Central regional.

Record against teams in their Regional:

Wash U. 3-1 (Three of these wins came early in the season in February, The loss come late in the season right before facing their nemesis, Wabash, and right before the NCAC tournament.)
Manchester 1-1 (This series were played in March) Edited Manchester is in the Mideast regional

BigPoppa

Record vs other Central Region opponents:

#1 Birmingham-Southern (.500): 1-1 vs Emory
#2 WashU (.333):  3-6 (1-3 vs Depauw, 1-1 vs Emory, 1-1 vs Webster, 0-1 vs IWU)
#3 DePauw (.750): 1-3 vs WashU
#4 Emory (.500): (2-2) 1-1 vs Birmingham-Southern, 1-1 vs WashU,
#5 Webster (.500)r: 1-1 vs WashU
#6 IWU(1.000): 1-0 vs WashU

CCIWFAN6

IWU and BSC are tied 1-1 in the bottom of the 3rd.  Joe Sweeney gets the start for the Titans.

CCIWFAN6

IWU takes a 2-1 lead in the top of the 5th and BSC comes rigth back in the bottom and ties it up on a HR by Maxwell.

2-2 thru 5